BUILD THREAD “The Juggernaut”

Merry post-Christmas, but not quite Happy New Year everybody! Figured I’d pop up a quick little post here before starting my day.

I had a few hours here and there over a couple of days before Christmas to fabricate and weld in the end pieces for the driver’s side, so that’s now all complete.

IMG_3904.jpeg

IMG_3905.jpeg

IMG_3906.jpeg

IMG_3907.jpeg

IMG_3908.jpeg

Yesterday Mike was over, and I had to find a new project to keep him busy while I was stripping all the old primer and filler off of the fenders. I wasn’t happy with the work I had done on them, mostly because I’ve learned so much more since then. I was only using etch primer, not epoxy at the time, had Kitty Hair over top of filler, putty over top of primer, and all kinds of other small faux pas’ that I now know better.

So, off it all came, then the surfaces got profiled with 36 grit in preparation for the first round of fibreglass filler that will kick off “Fender Filler Work 2.0” later today. Stripping and profiling both fenders took me all day yesterday.

IMG_3921.jpeg

IMG_3913.jpeg

IMG_3922.jpeg

While I was busy with that, I set Mike on the next Mission Impossible: Seeing if we could successfully modify and mount the last generation Monte Carlo SS mirrors that I bought from a forum member here several years ago.

They said it couldn’t be done…

They said the mounting angles would be all wrong (which they were)…

They said there wouldn’t be any reinforcement support behind the new location (which there was)…

But we’re here to prove ‘em all wrong, we found a way to make it happen (and it wasn’t really all that hard):

IMG_3914.jpeg

IMG_3915.jpeg

IMG_3916.jpeg

IMG_3917.jpeg

IMG_3918.jpeg

IMG_3919.jpeg

IMG_3920.jpeg

Mike had to modify the plastic gasket and the bottom of the pedestal slightly to account for the different angle of the Cutlass door, then we both together decided on the placement fore and aft to find where it looked right. We initially thought we were going to have to do something custom to reinforce the backside of the new mounting position, but as luck would have it, it still utilizes the inner structure just like the old one mirror did, just in a different spot.

He still needs to fine tune the angle a bit, it’s angled up just a slight bit still. But that’s ok, just a little more time with the file and a couple more test fits will get that fixed up. He also still has the driver’s side to do, so that should keep him busy for the next little bit at least while I start filling and sanding again.

I will likely have to come up with new slightly taller gaskets, the pedestals on these are short enough that they are just contacting the belt mouldings. I’m thinking maybe having somebody 3D print a set so they still look factory, but provide the additional height needed.

Since we’re on the subject of these aero style mirrors, I would love to upgrade both of them to electric motor powered. To the best of my knowledge, only the square body ‘87-‘89 Caprice, and possibly the Fiero and C4 Corvette came with this option. Problem is, NONE of the wrecking yards around here have anything that old, or that specific in those years. I have a power switch to control them (thanks to another member here), but I really need the left and right motors.

Would anyone here be willing to find and pull a set to ship to me? I would fully reimburse you for your time, effort and expense of course. I’d take the whole works, housings, mirror glass, motors, gaskets, wiring, everything. In fact, the more complete the better. Please let me know either here or in a PM.

Thanks,

D.

Reactions: 15 users
Merry post-Christmas, but not quite Happy New Year everybody! Figured I’d pop up a quick little post here before starting my day.

I had a few hours here and there over a couple of days before Christmas to fabricate and weld in the end pieces for the driver’s side, so that’s now all complete.

View attachment 232850

View attachment 232846

View attachment 232847

View attachment 232848

View attachment 232849

Yesterday Mike was over, and I had to find a new project to keep him busy while I was stripping all the old primer and filler off of the fenders. I wasn’t happy with the work I had done on them, mostly because I’ve learned so much more since then. I was only using etch primer, not epoxy at the time, had Kitty Hair over top of filler, putty over top of primer, and all kinds of other small faux pas’ that I now know better.

So, off it all came, then the surfaces got profiled with 36 grit in preparation for the first round of fibreglass filler that will kick off “Fender Filler Work 2.0” later today. Stripping and profiling both fenders took me all day yesterday.

View attachment 232844

View attachment 232836

View attachment 232845

While I was busy with that, I set Mike on the next Mission Impossible: Seeing if we could successfully modify and mount the last generation Monte Carlo SS mirrors that I bought from a forum member here several years ago.

They said there wouldn’t be any reinforcement support behind the new location (which there was)…

But we’re here to prove ‘em all wrong, we found a way to make it happen (and it wasn’t really all that hard):

View attachment 232837

View attachment 232838

View attachment 232839

View attachment 232840

View attachment 232841

View attachment 232842

View attachment 232843

Mike had to modify the plastic gasket and the bottom of the pedestal slightly to account for the different angle of the Cutlass door, then we both together decided on the placement fore and aft to find where it looked right. We initially thought we were going to have to do something custom to reinforce the backside of the new mounting position, but as luck would have it, it still utilizes the inner structure just like the old one mirror did, just in a different spot.

He still needs to fine tune the angle a bit, it’s angled up just a slight bit still. But that’s ok, just a little more time with the file and a couple more test fits will get that fixed up. He also still has the driver’s side to do, so that should keep him busy for the next little bit at least while I start filling and sanding again.

I will likely have to come up with new slightly taller gaskets, the pedestals on these are short enough that they are just contacting the belt mouldings. I’m thinking maybe having somebody 3D print a set so they still look factory, but provide the additional height needed.

Since we’re on the subject of these aero style mirrors, I would love to upgrade both of them to electric motor powered. To the best of my knowledge, only the square body ‘87-‘89 Caprice, and possibly the Fiero and C4 Corvette came with this option. Problem is, NONE of the wrecking yards around here have anything that old, or that specific in those years. I have a power switch to control them (thanks to another member here), but I really need the left and right motors.

Would anyone here be willing to find and pull a set to ship to me? I would fully reimburse you for your time, effort and expense of course. I’d take the whole works, housings, mirror glass, motors, gaskets, wiring, everything. In fact, the more complete the better. Please let me know either here or in a PM.

Thanks,

D.
Firefox_Screenshot_2023-12-27T13-56-38.912Z.png
Firefox_Screenshot_2023-12-27T13-55-43.954Z.png

• Useful
Reactions: 3 users
Reactions: 1 user
Thanks, but none of those are anywhere near me, looks like some of them won’t ship, and none of them specify if they’re power or not. Just after writing this, I have found a set on eBay that I’ll consider if no one here comes forward.
pagrunt, care to weigh in here?
Sorry every time I have called a place from there they have been willing to ship, they are all power but I get it I prefer to do eBay when I can as well

Reactions: 1 users
D,
That style mirror does look right on your car. If I'm not mistaken, certain year F-body cars had the powered version of those mirrors.
I think Jim (liquidh8) may have used a powered set on his wagon. I'd have to look back on his thread.
I think the key to having them sit at the proper angle is like you said, forming a new gasket angled properly. .

Reactions: 4 users

View attachment 232850

View attachment 232846

View attachment 232847

View attachment 232848

View attachment 232849

View attachment 232844

View attachment 232836

View attachment 232845

View attachment 232837

View attachment 232838

View attachment 232839

View attachment 232840

View attachment 232841

View attachment 232842

View attachment 232843

Thanks,

D.
Nice fab work guys!

Dave

• Agree
Reactions: 2 users
You forgot 3rd gen F cars for power mirrors as the guts between them and the others should be the same. You can salvage the motors form several different GM models that use the same design motors much like my C3 mirrors. The main part will be the mount frames for the motors to mount to inside BUT I'm not 100% the cable & power remote mirrors use the same mirror housing. Then there are differences in the mount pad angles/thickness as the Fiero was said to be the closest to Monte Carlo. I would believe the Caprice should be the same. Now it might be better with UC645 jumping in as he is using these mirrors on his Mexican SS clone. He let me know about the bubble body Caprice/Roadmaster/Broughm/Custom Crusier mirror switch can work to near OE looing for our cars while having the built in L/R switch. Then I have 2nd gen Chevy W body switches that can work too with some mods to fit our mirror remote bezel. Another option is '80's B/RWD C & most early '80's Caddy dual lever (one in door, one in dash like our dual cable remote set up) to work them mirrors. But there should be other GM's to supply the right switch to match your overal design plan that will work for you. But I do suggest to get a copy of the diagram for both the Vette (seperate movement & L/R switches) & F body (intergraded controls in one switch) to compair how you want to wire things up.

Reactions: 5 users
Never realized how sexy those mirrors are.

Tony, they’re definitely a much more aerodynamic style than the originals that the car came equipped with. I figured they would suit the car if we were able to get the mounting angles and placement figured out. So far I’m not disappointed.

D,
That style mirror does look right on your car. If I'm not mistaken, certain year F-body cars had the powered version of those mirrors.
I think Jim (liquidh8) may have used a powered set on his wagon. I'd have to look back on his thread.
I think the key to having them sit at the proper angle is like you said, forming a new gasket angled properly. .

Thanks Jack. You’re 100% right on the F body cars, I just wasn’t aware until later this morning that they came optionally equipped with the power versions. I’ve never owned an F body.

As far as the mirror to door gaskets are concerned, if the integral pedestals were just a touch taller or if I didn’t have the wide belt mouldings on this car, I would’ve been fine. But because of both factors, I’m going to have to figure out how to do some smidge taller gaskets. Like less than an 1/8” to provide clearance to the mouldings, it’s that close.

Nice fab work guys!

Dave

Thank you!

You forgot 3rd gen F cars for power mirrors as the guts between them and the others should be the same. You can salvage the motors form several different GM models that use the same design motors much like my C3 mirrors. The main part will be the mount frames for the motors to mount to inside BUT I'm not 100% the cable & power remote mirrors use the same mirror housing. Then there are differences in the mount pad angles/thickness as the Fiero was said to be the closest to Monte Carlo. I would believe the Caprice should be the same. Now it might be better with UC645 jumping in as he is using these mirrors on his Mexican SS clone. He let me know about the bubble body Caprice/Roadmaster/Broughm/Custom Crusier mirror switch can work to near OE looing for our cars while having the built in L/R switch. Then I have 2nd gen Chevy W body switches that can work too with some mods to fit our mirror remote bezel. Another option is '80's B/RWD C & most early '80's Caddy dual lever (one in door, one in dash like our dual cable remote set up) to work them mirrors. But there should be other GM's to supply the right switch to match your overal design plan that will work for you. But I do suggest to get a copy of the diagram for both the Vette (seperate movement & L/R switches) & F body (intergraded controls in one switch) to compair how you want to wire things up.

Thanks for weighing in, I was hoping you would. Once I learned that the Camaros and Firebirds had powered mirrors as an option, I started researching them and looking around on eBay. From what I’ve read, the power and manual cable versions both utilize the same internal mounting points, so therefore they should be interchangeable. As far as the switch is concerned, UC645 sent me a whale bodied Caprice joystick style switch a while back, so I already have that to use.

As of this writing, and after this morning’s post, I’ve since pulled the trigger on the power F body mirrors I found on eBay:

IMG_3931.png

So now this way I should have everything I need. Two more housings, glass, mounting studs and nuts, and gaskets for spares. Plus the motors, wiring, and pigtails to adapt to the Caprice switch, I’ll just have to figure out the function of each wire on each mirror plus the same with the switch.
They should be here sometime in the first week of January. 🤞🏻

Reactions: 11 users

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor