BUILD THREAD “The Juggernaut”

Do you think the round stock flexed when welding and drew the arch closer together?

I agree with your assessment on having the right attitude. I've done some of my best fabricating having to fight back from a project that went off script. Good work there!

Hutch

Reactions: 6 users
Nice save, it looks great and after you finish it nobody will ever know it gave you any trouble. As has been mentioned those are the moments that test your sanity, patience, and ingenuity.

• Agree
Reactions: 2 users
Looks great! Sucks for the setback, but as you stated, it's all in the attitude! At least you didn't leave knuckle marks in it, haha

• Haha
Reactions: 4 users
Driver’s side flare is fully welded in around the arc, it was looking good after the welds were all ground down, but before the hammer and dollying was done.

IMG_3897.jpeg

After I took the hammer and dolly to it and started smoothing out the lumps, it quickly became apparent that I had too much metal right in the middle which manifested itself as a big outward lump that wouldn’t flatten out no matter what I did. Working the area with a shrinking hammer, plus several quenches with a MAPP gas torch and a cloth soaked in ice cold water didn’t do much to rectify the problem either.

I was about to cut the entire area out and replace it with fresh shaped metal, when I remembered a little trick that worked great for us on a similar problem on one of Mike’s ‘57 Chevy quarter panels. I cut a cross through the middle of the bulge with the death wheel (cutoff disc) and flattened out the 4 corners that it created. The cut allows the extra metal places to go, and will close up the cut lines slightly as the metal flattens out.

Once the 4 corners of the cuts were flattened out, I clamped one of my extended length C clamps right in the middle, and slowly and carefully welded up the 4 cut lines of the cross working from the outside in. Once I had welded and ground everything I could access with the clamp in place, I removed the clamp and finished it off.

No pictures of this process, but when the dust settled, it was all good - no more bulge.

IMG_3898.jpeg

Since that went so well tonight, I had a little extra time to start making the first of the two end pieces with the shrinker/stretcher and getting it fitted into place. This is the back one, closest to the door:

IMG_3900.jpeg

IMG_3899.jpeg

We’re very close to Christmas now, so life and family priorities are starting to cut into the available time over the next couple of days. I might get a little time on Saturday to try and make a bit more progress, but that’s about it until after Christmas Day.

After that, I’ve got the entire week between Christmas and New Year’s off, so Mike and I will be spending a couple of days working on each other’s cars back and forth. I anticipate that the last of the fabrication and welding will not only be done in this time frame, but I should also be able to get started on the filler and bodywork on both fenders as well.

There likely won’t be another update before Christmas, so a very Merry Christmas to everyone, all the best to you and yours!

D.

• Winner
Reactions: 19 users
Driver’s side flare is fully welded in around the arc, it was looking good after the welds were all ground down, but before the hammer and dollying was done.

View attachment 232669

After I took the hammer and dolly to it and started smoothing out the lumps, it quickly became apparent that I had too much metal right in the middle which manifested itself as a big outward lump that wouldn’t flatten out no matter what I did. Working the area with a shrinking hammer, plus several quenches with a MAPP gas torch and a cloth soaked in ice cold water didn’t do much to rectify the problem either.

I was about to cut the entire area out and replace it with fresh shaped metal, when I remembered a little trick that worked great for us on a similar problem on one of Mike’s ‘57 Chevy quarter panels. I cut a cross through the middle of the bulge with the death wheel (cutoff disc) and flattened out the 4 corners that it created. The cut allows the extra metal places to go, and will close up the cut lines slightly as the metal flattens out.

Once the 4 corners of the cuts were flattened out, I clamped one of my extended length C clamps right in the middle, and slowly and carefully welded up the 4 cut lines of the cross working from the outside in. Once I had welded and ground everything I could access with the clamp in place, I removed the clamp and finished it off.

No pictures of this process, but when the dust settled, it was all good - no more bulge.

View attachment 232670

Since that went so well tonight, I had a little extra time to start making the first of the two end pieces with the shrinker/stretcher and getting it fitted into place. This is the back one, closest to the door:

View attachment 232671

View attachment 232672

We’re very close to Christmas now, so life and family priorities are starting to cut into the available time over the next couple of days. I might get a little time on Saturday to try and make a bit more progress, but that’s about it until after Christmas Day.

After that, I’ve got the entire week between Christmas and New Year’s off, so Mike and I will be spending a couple of days working on each other’s cars back and forth. I anticipate that the last of the fabrication and welding will not only be done in this time frame, but I should also be able to get started on the filler and bodywork on both fenders as well.

There likely won’t be another update before Christmas, so a very Merry Christmas to everyone, all the best to you and yours!

D.
Can't show that process to keep your cover
Christmas GIF by Coolidge Corner Theatre

• Haha
Reactions: 6 users
Merry Christmas and all the best for a Happy, healthy New Year to you D.
Thank you for sharing your skills and all that you've accomplished so far.
We enjoy your detailed thread. (y):cool:

Reactions: 8 users
Merry Christmas to all. I don't know how I've missed the last month of progress 😕 but I'm all caught up now and WOW. Just amazed at the creativity and resolve. Don't know why it surprises me. Awesome work D.

Reactions: 7 users

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor