BUILD THREAD “The Juggernaut”

Nice to see the 3rd Gen innards interchange with the G body housings.
Now it’s got me thinking that any GM mirror motor that uses that bracket will fit any housing.
There's lots of mirrors that use that same style motor unit. Just some vary on either four or three wire feeds.

• Informative
Reactions: 3 users
Not a whole lot to report on The Juggernaut this time around, but what is worth reporting is significant.

Sunday, Mike came over and I quickly put him to work on yet another new task:

Cleaning up the inner wheelwells I’ve had stashed away in the shed for a few years now. What’s interesting about these is that they are metal, not plastic. They’re very early ‘78 Grand Prix wheelwells, and while they’re not going to be a direct fit to the Cutlass fenders, we all know that isn’t going to be an issue for me with my penchant for modifying steel.

Mike’s task was daunting, years of accumulated dirt, crud and rust, along with thick undercoating on the underside. But he persevered and did very well, even the undercoat eventually gave way with some liberal use of heat and a durable putty knife. Once he had that licked, he then immediately dove into stripping off all the old original paint.

Here he is in his element:

IMG_3974.jpeg

Poor bugger. But he always comes through for me no matter what I give him. That’s a true friend.

While he was slugging through that, I was busy with the remaining bodywork on the driver’s front fender. I didn’t think I was going to be able to pull it off, but I actually managed to finish it right at the very end of the day. It’s ready for a couple coats of spray filler and more blocking, but I’ll hold off on that until the passenger’s side is done to this same point.

IMG_3981.jpeg

IMG_3982.jpeg

IMG_3983.jpeg

IMG_3984.jpeg

IMG_3985.jpeg

It doesn’t look like much at this point, but they seldom do at this stage. You might notice that I tied into the front edge of the door as well, this was intentional as I’m trying something a little different on this build: Shooting for zero dive between panels. Panel dive is common and normal on production cars due to the way the panels are manufactured in giant presses, but the show car scene has continually upped the ante and now zero panel dive is starting to become the norm.

This is going to be a new technique for me, so wish me luck. I hope I can pull it off, if I can it’ll definitely be worth the extra effort.

Monday at work was slow, so I took the afternoon off and stopped by my local autobody supply shop. I needed a few things, but also wanted to have a look through some paint chips and see if I couldn’t pick my upper color for The Juggernaut’s two tone. I wanted an extremely dark gray tone, nearly black but without being black.

I decided on this factory production color for a brand of Japanese import car that shall remain nameless due to my extreme dislike of them. It looks all but black in low and indirect lighting…

IMG_3977.jpeg

…but under direct sunlight it is most definitely grey. Just exactly what I wanted:

IMG_3975.jpeg

I’ll be experimenting and playing around with this color on a couple of sprayout cards and if I like what I see, I’ll shoot the mirrors to see it on larger surfaces before I completely commit to it.

Very big news, I have a large and expensive new purchase that I’m very excited about on the way, it should be here in the next couple days. Stay tuned for that! (Guesses will be entertained here up until it arrives, so give it your best shot!)
😏

D.

• Winner
Reactions: 18 users
Not a whole lot to report on The Juggernaut this time around, but what is worth reporting is significant.

Sunday, Mike came over and I quickly put him to work on yet another new task:

Cleaning up the inner wheelwells I’ve had stashed away in the shed for a few years now. What’s interesting about these is that they are metal, not plastic. They’re very early ‘78 Grand Prix wheelwells, and while they’re not going to be a direct fit to the Cutlass fenders, we all know that isn’t going to be an issue for me with my penchant for modifying steel.

Mike’s task was daunting, years of accumulated dirt, crud and rust, along with thick undercoating on the underside. But he persevered and did very well, even the undercoat eventually gave way with some liberal use of heat and a durable putty knife. Once he had that licked, he then immediately dove into stripping off all the old original paint.

Here he is in his element:

View attachment 233746

Poor bugger. But he always comes through for me no matter what I give him. That’s a true friend.

While he was slugging through that, I was busy with the remaining bodywork on the driver’s front fender. I didn’t think I was going to be able to pull it off, but I actually managed to finish it right at the very end of the day. It’s ready for a couple coats of spray filler and more blocking, but I’ll hold off on that until the passenger’s side is done to this same point.

View attachment 233749

View attachment 233750

View attachment 233751

View attachment 233752

View attachment 233753

It doesn’t look like much at this point, but they seldom do at this stage. You might notice that I tied into the front edge of the door as well, this was intentional as I’m trying something a little different on this build: Shooting for zero dive between panels. Panel dive is common and normal on production cars due to the way the panels are manufactured in giant presses, but the show car scene has continually upped the ante and now zero panel dive is starting to become the norm.

This is going to be a new technique for me, so wish me luck. I hope I can pull it off, if I can it’ll definitely be worth the extra effort.

Monday at work was slow, so I took the afternoon off and stopped by my local autobody supply shop. I needed a few things, but also wanted to have a look through some paint chips and see if I couldn’t pick my upper color for The Juggernaut’s two tone. I wanted an extremely dark gray tone, nearly black but without being black.

I decided on this factory production color for a brand of Japanese import car that shall remain nameless due to my extreme dislike of them. It looks all but black in low and indirect lighting…

View attachment 233748

…but under direct sunlight it is most definitely grey. Just exactly what I wanted:

View attachment 233747

I’ll be experimenting and playing around with this color on a couple of sprayout cards and if I like what I see, I’ll shoot the mirrors to see it on larger surfaces before I completely commit to it.

Very big news, I have a large and expensive new purchase that I’m very excited about on the way, it should be here in the next couple days. Stay tuned for that! (Guesses will be entertained here up until it arrives, so give it your best shot!)
😏

D.
Is it what you showed me when I was over picking up my Camshaft? If so I'm excited to see the other guys guesses.

Reactions: 2 users
That's easy. A bag of groceries.

*ba dum tss*

eggs-will-trade-2015-or-newer-jeep-dont-try-low-ball-know-got-this-day-which-ford-he-make-h-goldhen

• Haha
Reactions: 3 users
Is it what you showed me when I was over picking up my Camshaft? If so I'm excited to see the other guys guesses.

Yes. No. Maybe. I can’t remember what we talked about that day. Lol

An English wheel is my guess.

Nope, I already have a small one. Good guess though.

The rotisserie? Or a lift perhaps?

No and no. The rotisserie is pretty much done, just one small thing left to do on it, which reminds me, I have to update on it again here soon.

And as far as the lift is concerned, I don’t have the ceiling height to accommodate one. So that’s off the table unfortunately.

Just curious Donovan, have you decided on the lower colour? Will it be a similiar 2 tone style as Olds Cool?

Not really Jeff, it’s going to be a little different. I’ll post more on that a little later with pictures. And yes, the lower color has been decided, it’s Viper Blue Pearl.

I'm going to say a mid range 3D printer

Nope. I wouldn’t get enough use out of one to justify the purchase.

That's easy. A bag of groceries.

*ba dum tss*

eggs-will-trade-2015-or-newer-jeep-dont-try-low-ball-know-got-this-day-which-ford-he-make-h-goldhen

Not that either… hint, it’s a part that’s for the car.
😁

• Haha
Reactions: 5 users

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor