BUILD THREAD “The Juggernaut”

That rendering is sinister. This body style is really tough to two-tone and you've really got your work cut out for you to make it look right. I think the Olds designers were relying on shadows and light on the various bulges and ridges more than anything. They seemed to throw in a pinstripe here and there for emphasis. In fact, most of the Cutlass styles from the 60s through the 80s don't lend themselves to being split horizontally. One could even argue that the 83/84 H/O was more of a fat stripe package than two-tone.

Olds Cool was obviously a tribute to the original split, with some creative license. It seems that the original designers were really trying to highlight the Landau / carry-handle esthetic.
20231017_122219.jpg

(EDIT: I hope you don't mind a reference pic of my car here. I tried to copypasta a couple pics from Olds Cool and kept getting errors.)

The close proximity of the rear quarter line and body line under the side window hooking opposite direction is a little reminiscent of hockey sticks at face-off. The way all the contours play at the bottom of the quarter window is interesting but sure won't make life easy for you. If anyone can pull it off, it'll be you.

Reactions: 6 users
That rendering is sinister. This body style is really tough to two-tone and you've really got your work cut out for you to make it look right. I think the Olds designers were relying on shadows and light on the various bulges and ridges more than anything. They seemed to throw in a pinstripe here and there for emphasis. In fact, most of the Cutlass styles from the 60s through the 80s don't lend themselves to being split horizontally. One could even argue that the 83/84 H/O was more of a fat stripe package than two-tone.

Olds Cool was obviously a tribute to the original split, with some creative license. It seems that the original designers were really trying to highlight the Landau / carry-handle esthetic.View attachment 233858

(EDIT: I hope you don't mind a reference pic of my car here. I tried to copypasta a couple pics from Olds Cool and kept getting errors.)

The close proximity of the rear quarter line and body line under the side window hooking opposite direction is a little reminiscent of hockey sticks at face-off. The way all the contours play at the bottom of the quarter window is interesting but sure won't make life easy for you. If anyone can pull it off, it'll be you.

Thanks for your faith in my abilities, I just hope it’s well founded. As an owner yourself of one of these cars, you know all too well the complexity of those adjacent body line areas so you can anticipate the difficulty I will be up against when it comes time to modify them. The biggest obstacle I can see in what I want to accomplish is the removal of the existing body lines that recede in behind the quarter glass mouldings. If I can get that figured out, I think the rest will come together fairly well.

You’re welcome to post pictures of the Grandpa car on my thread anytime, I think you already know the reverence I hold for that car. Your description of the original paint schemes on these cars as being “carry-handle” is very accurate and well described. Even more so with T-top versions IMO.

Thanks for commenting on the planned design and goal. All comments are welcome and encouraged.

Reactions: 7 users
Well, my much anticipated shipment arrived today, and unfortunately no one guessed correctly what it was.

Well technically Cauterize did, but that’s only because we had a previous discussion when he was here last and I think I mentioned what I was contemplating ordering.

Behold, the Tremec T56 Magnum 6 speed manual transmission.

IMG_4004.jpeg

IMG_4006.jpeg

700 ft lbs of torque handling capability, brand spanking new, with a warranty.

IMG_4007.jpeg

IMG_4008.jpeg

But wait a minute D, don’t you already have a T56 six speed transmission in the car? Why yes I do, however it is a stock ‘96 vintage LT1 style with only 450 ft lbs of torque capacity. The big 462 BBO torque monster, with the new heads and soon to be roller camshaft will be making upwards of 500 ft lbs of torque from idle on up which means I would’ve had to drive that stock T56 very gingerly, like it was made of glass. Either that, or risk twisting the input shaft into a barber pole.

Not my style, as anyone who’s ridden with me can attest. I like to drive my stuff.

So now, I can bang through the gears with confidence, and no longer need to worry that the transmission is the weak link. The beautiful part is, my existing bellhousing/scattershield will be a direct bolt-on, the clutch I bought for the old trans will still fit and work, and probably even the McLeod hydraulic throwout bearing (but I have to verify first).

The overdrive split is more attractive too, with a 0.67 final drive ratio as opposed to the LT1’s 0.50 that is more geared towards land speed racing. Lol. This means I can keep my current 3:73 rear gear ratio and not have to step up to something in the 4’s.

Have a look at this quick 3 1/2 minute video that compares the internals of a stock T56 to those of the Magnum. It’s quite an eye opener and easy to see why the Magnum will be a far superior transmission for my needs.

I should be able to sell the stock T56 locally pretty easily, demand is still high for them around here amongst gearheads. Northernregal seems to think I can get between $2 and $3k for it as it sits, which will go a long ways toward recouping the cost of the Magnum.

IMG_4009.jpeg

IMG_4010.jpeg

D is a pretty happy man today.

• Winner
  • Love
Reactions: 20 users
Torque ratings be damned, a Magnum is a MUCH nicer shifting box. Worth it for that alone if you can swing it. Don't be surprised if reverse doesn't live but a couple of years. Whereas the older single cone units had a wave washer to keep the syncro ring off of the gear, this does not, so reverse will eat itself and there's nothing you can do about that. What style output shaft is this? Probably not 27 with a 700# rating.

Reactions: 3 users
Torque ratings be damned, a Magnum is a MUCH nicer shifting box. Worth it for that alone if you can swing it. Don't be surprised if reverse doesn't live but a couple of years. Whereas the older single cone units had a wave washer to keep the syncro ring off of the gear, this does not, so reverse will eat itself and there's nothing you can do about that. What style output shaft is this? Probably not 27 with a 700# rating.

1 1/8” diameter, 26 spline input shaft, not sure what size the output is. Here is a better picture of it if that helps:

image.jpg

For reference and details:

And a link to the exact one I bought:

Thanks for the info on the reverse gear, interesting.

• Winner
Reactions: 2 users
I didn't want to spoil it for the rest of the boys. Like I said to you earlier that thing is a beauty.
I'll be back up your way for a conference Feb 5-7. If I have some free time I'll give you a shout. I'd love to swing buy and check in on the Juggernaut again.

Reactions: 3 users
I don't blame you Donovan. Really only the first year F body had good ratios and was the weakest. I see a .63 OD, is it the 2.66 or 2.97 first gear? Yeah, I don't think 2000 grand is out of line. Ask more, see what you get.

I don't blame you Donovan. Really only the first year F body had good ratios and was the weakest. I see a .63 OD, is it the 2.66 or 2.97 first gear? Yeah, I don't think 2000 grand is out of line. Ask more, see what you get.

93 Pontiac AKA M28 was the weakest, followed by the M29 (which I have as a spare), and then the regular T56. Strange how changing a ratio weakens the trans. Makes you wonder what the soft spot was. 93 Camaro got a 3.23 and the Pontiac got a 3.08 or 2.73, then they decided a 3.42 with honking big double OD was the way to go. Donovan has the 2.66 1-4 setup, but shorter .8 and .63 ODs.

I didn't want to spoil it for the rest of the boys. Like I said to you earlier that thing is a beauty.
I'll be back up your way for a conference Feb 5-7. If I have some free time I'll give you a shout. I'd love to swing buy and check in on the Juggernaut again.

Sounds good brother! Maybe we’ll see if we can get ranllett over too, I know he’s been wanting to see it too.

31 spline output, I thought I remembered it being an oddball. You have a yoke for it too? That LT1 trans is gonna have a 27 spline output.

No yoke for it yet, I need to get an aluminum driveshaft made for it still yet.

It has the 2.66 first gear.

Reactions: 4 users

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor