BUILD THREAD “The Juggernaut”

The car looks awesome, Donovan! The Euro headlights sure change up the look even with the OEM waterfall grills. Looking forward to seeing the bumper and filler installed to wrap up the nose. Are you planning on adding a pair of driving lights into the bumper or just going with the headlights alone?

Is the rear deck spoiler an OEM H/O item or an aftermarket universal or…..? Just curious. 🧐

• Agree
Reactions: 2 users
The car looks awesome, Donovan! The Euro headlights sure change up the look even with the OEM waterfall grills. Looking forward to seeing the bumper and filler installed to wrap up the nose. Are you planning on adding a pair of driving lights into the bumper or just going with the headlights alone?

Is the rear deck spoiler an OEM H/O item or an aftermarket universal or…..? Just curious. 🧐

Thank you Mike, I couldn’t be happier with how it’s all coming together. Matching what I’ve envisioned for years now.

Undecided on the driving lights, but not ruling it out at this point. Once the bumper gets to the point where it’s a little more finished, I’ll contemplate it a little more. I don’t want to add too much stuff that will take away from the clean lines of the car. I’ve upgraded the bulbs in those composite headlights to HID and they’re plenty bright, so I don’t think driving lights will be necessary.

IMG_3987.jpeg

The spoiler is a modified second Gen Firebird item. The Firebird’s deck lid is considerably more flat, so when it’s placed on the Cutlass trunk lid the angle is all off, pointing upwards.
I corrected this years ago by sectioning the stanchions and adding in the additional wedge shaped material from a second Firebird spoiler I got from a junkyard, and now it looks proper.

It would be a bolt on upgrade up for grabs for another 78-80 Cutlass if I end up fabricating an entirely new one if that’s what you’re wondering…
😉

Reactions: 8 users
“Sounds good in theory” he says, acting like he isn’t a bodywork wizard
:LOL:

I’m actually not, but I did play one on TV once…
😁

• Haha
Reactions: 4 users
I plan on welding in the back window/trunk lid filler panel to streamline and simplify back there a bit, and I will be making my own metal quarter extensions, so that should be an interesting but fun exercise.
Looking forward to everything especially the lid filler panel.

Reactions: 1 users
One vote for a scratch built spoiler, or none at all, whatever you decide. Car is too custom now for it as it sits.

Reactions: 4 users
One vote for a scratch built spoiler, or none at all, whatever you decide. Car is too custom now for it as it sits.

Thanks for your input, who agrees?

I was going to put it to a public vote on here when the time came, but we might as well discuss it now.

When I get to that point, it’ll either be:

1) keep the existing spoiler but widen it slightly to match the width of the trunk lid properly (inclined not to go this route right now because I feel it dates the look of the car)

Or

2) scratch build a custom one-off duck tail or lay down style like what is more commonly seen on modern ProTouring cars. Similar to what Injectedcutty is starting to build:

IMG_6863.jpeg

IMG_6862.jpeg

Shopping cart handles need not apply.

Reactions: 8 users
Ditch the old one, it's horrible, I'll throw it away for ya.

I think that if you were to make another one now it would be a much better match to the car as a whole, and would better suit the theme.

Reactions: 2 users
Thanks for your input, who agrees?

I was going to put it to a public vote on here when the time came, but we might as well discuss it now.

What, nobody other than 08Malibu and Sweet_Johnny wants to weigh in with their vote?

C’mon guys, I was serious, I want everyone’s opinions on the spoiler for the car. It will help me decide the direction I go with it.

Reactions: 1 users

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor