BUILD THREAD “The Juggernaut”

What, nobody other than 08Malibu and Sweet_Johnny wants to weigh in with their vote?

C’mon guys, I was serious, I want everyone’s opinions on the spoiler for the car. It will help me decide the direction I go with it.
From my opinion it's kinda hard to picture the just right design that flows with your combination or original lines & the custom alterations. It should flow with the lines, yet still be Oldsmobile but not a pedestal type. Not sure if using the Malibu M80 spoiler as a starter the base, cutting down how tall it is, alter the angle, contour & blend in the Olds lines.

SPOILER.jpg

Reactions: 4 users
I think you could build something subtle in to the trunk lid like option 2 or something along the lines of a late 70s camaro mixed with grand national. Short and simple... meaning labor intensive of course.

• Agree
Reactions: 3 users
I believe you have the eye and talent to design it yourself. You could modify something existing but I think you can draw it up and fab it up. The problem with doing that as stated above is the amount of time necessary. Plus if you don't like end result it's a lot of effort wasted. Jmo

Reactions: 2 users
A custom built spoiler is the only suitable option for that build. Anything else will end up looking like an afterthought.

• Agree
Reactions: 11 users
It's true, an H/O or Firebird style spoiler is 80s-ish.

I think the lay-down style is stupid looking myself for street cars. Functional? Yeah, maybe if you're going 175 mph like a pro-stock. I would at least photochop a bit older, but modern Challenger style and see what you think. I think it looks pretty nice. Subtle, but breaks up the body lines a bit. Not too much but you notice it's there. I'd vote for somethng like that. Whatever you do, do NOT hang the spoiler over the sides. That would look ultra-dated IMO. It's just a bit tougher on the more squarish A/G body styles.

1GL20TZZ-AB-2__01520.1555965542.jpg

• Love
Reactions: 5 users
I vote for the Challenger style. Our last Challenger didn't have one, the GT does, it is subtle but finishes off the car, just right.

• Agree
Reactions: 3 users
Thank you all for the input so far guys, keep it coming. There’s been some great feedback and suggestions thrown out so far.

It’s looking like everyone’s in favour so far for ditching the pedestal style spoiler, and it’s kinda what I’ve been thinking lately too. I think the more streamlined and modern the car is becoming, the more that old spoiler is looking dated.

I will say one thing though - it will be getting a spoiler of some type or other. I already have Olds Cool with no spoiler, and have never been a fan personally. I’ve always thought these cars have needed something back there, and since this is my “no limitations” build, it’s going to be the way I want it.

Time and labour into fabrication isn’t an issue, I’m more than willing to invest in both to create something that suits the car and theme.

Thanks guys, I really appreciate the feedback.

• Winner
Reactions: 10 users

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor