BUILD THREAD “The Juggernaut”

Rktpwrd

Builder of Cool Shjt
Supporting Member
Feb 2, 2015
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
Sorry about he horrible spelling on the past post, responding fro my phone ins a pain in the butt. In any case, those pins look nice. My hood plates weren't hollowed out on the backside like that, they are real thick there. So,I had to file the oblong in the plate. Also, I am partial to the lynch pins, I think they fit better with the plate.

Hahaha, no worries Jim. I got what you were trying to get across at any rate.
Thanks for responding, 2 votes say stick with the lynch pins.
I don't mind the looks of the lynch pins that much, and I like the fact that they're stainless. I was just trying for a cleaner look.
Anyone else care to chime in?

Reactions: 2 users

chevymalibu283

Apprentice
Apr 4, 2013
Hey Donovan, just catching up on the current updates. For what its worth I vote for the stock lynch pins. I think they follow along with the theme of the car better in regard to the other fasteners you have used in your build. With everything having a polished and finished look to it, i think it would look out of place with the cheaper looking pins. As always, my compliments to you on the re-work of the hood. Without the templates in place, one wouldnt really "see" the inconsistency that the templates pointed out. Its amazing what a few pieces of cardboard can reveal when it comes to metal fabrication. So keep on keeping on with the juggernaut, you have quite a few eager gear heads waiting for the final reveal!

Kevin

• Agree
Reactions: 4 users

oldsofb

Royal Smart Person
Supporting Member
Dec 7, 2007
Maryland
I vote lynch pin as well. The other pin puts the ring off to the side (I like the round over round the lynch pin provides) I also think the offset ring has a chance to flop over into the painted area and eventually wear a mark in the paint.

BUT.......It is your car, and so far you have been amazing me with what you're doing, so keep it up.

Hutch

• Agree

Injectedcutty

G body LS mafia
Nov 24, 2014
Louisville, KY
Donovan, as others already voted for the Lynch pins....I would have to agree. What would be nice is if you found a Lynch pin with the spring loaded ball in it.
Being the hood pins are the only means of securing the hood, I would think having 2 forms of security I better than one. In the event the flip over ring popped back you would still have the spring loaded ball to hold the pin in the hole....don't wanna risk messing up that hood for sure!!!!

Reactions: 1 user

Texas82GP

Just-a-worm
Apr 3, 2015
Spring, Texas
Hahaha, no worries Jim. I got what you were trying to get across at any rate.
Thanks for responding, 2 votes say stick with the lynch pins.
I don't mind the looks of the lynch pins that much, and I like the fact that they're stainless. I was just trying for a cleaner look.
Anyone else care to chime in?
I would imagine this isn't the answer you are looking for but I think the hood is crying out for something custom. Between the two I guess I would vote for the lynch pin but I don't think it is nice enough for the caliber of this build.

• Agree
Reactions: 1 users

motorheadmike

Geezer
Nov 18, 2009
Saskatchewan, Truckistan
HOLY SH*T that hood is epic!

• Agree

Turbo Zach

Comic Book Super Hero
Sep 8, 2015
I love this thing! Keep up with the good work. As for the hood pin, I agree with Texas82GP with all the custom work and then finishing it off with a common hardware part just does not seem right to me.

• Agree

mr evil

Aug 4, 2009
Sooke, BC, Canada
Lynch pins, but I actually don't like either of the rings...might rather see something that just folds and clamps once the hood is closed, but not sure if that even exists....

Edit: either way is just splitting hairs lol, gonna look stellar anyways, but I know it'll bug you if you don't like it. Your eye will draw to them every time and piss you off-getting to know you Donovan lol

• Agree

Rktpwrd

Builder of Cool Shjt
Supporting Member
Feb 2, 2015
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
Hey everybody, thanks for the replies and feedback.
My apologies for being so late to respond, it's been a busy weekend, but well worth it...
Yesterday I spent the morning chasing down a G body "unicorn", but more on that a bit later.

Hey Donovan, just catching up on the current updates. For what its worth I vote for the stock lynch pins. I think they follow along with the theme of the car better in regard to the other fasteners you have used in your build. With everything having a polished and finished look to it, i think it would look out of place with the cheaper looking pins. As always, my compliments to you on the re-work of the hood. Without the templates in place, one wouldnt really "see" the inconsistency that the templates pointed out. Its amazing what a few pieces of cardboard can reveal when it comes to metal fabrication. So keep on keeping on with the juggernaut, you have quite a few eager gear heads waiting for the final reveal!

Kevin

Kevin, thanks very much for your input, it's much appreciated, and good to hear from you again!

You're absolutely right, something can look fine from outward appearances, but sometimes it's not until you compare it to a template that you realize all is not as it should be. And that's exactly what I found in this instance. While it was a whole pile of effort to fix, I'm just glad I found it at this stage in the build, and not after laying down filler and trying to block everything straight...!!

I vote lynch pin as well. The other pin puts the ring off to the side (I like the round over round the lynch pin provides) I also think the offset ring has a chance to flop over into the painted area and eventually wear a mark in the paint.

BUT.......It is your car, and so far you have been amazing me with what you're doing, so keep it up.

Hutch

Hutch, thanks very much for weighing in with your thoughts as well.
Your response was really the single one that really got my gears turning on this issue.

You brought up a great point about the rings possibly flopping over and scratching the paint, but you also made me realize that there is a high risk factor that those pins could actually work their way quite a ways out before they hit the spring loaded balls and have the pins dig into the paint badly that way as well. Not acceptable at ALL.
Thanks for that. Sometimes that's all that's needed, is a different perspective on an issue. And you gave me just that!
:)

Donovan

Rktpwrd

Builder of Cool Shjt
Supporting Member
Feb 2, 2015
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
Donovan, as others already voted for the Lynch pins....I would have to agree. What would be nice is if you found a Lynch pin with the spring loaded ball in it.
Being the hood pins are the only means of securing the hood, I would think having 2 forms of security I better than one. In the event the flip over ring popped back you would still have the spring loaded ball to hold the pin in the hole....don't wanna risk messing up that hood for sure!!!!

Scott, great points as well my friend, thank you!

As far as 2 forms of security, I totally understand and agree. But I will say this: the lynch pins that came with the kit have a considerable amount of tension on them when you flip them over. There is absolutely no way they can or would ever find themselves flipped over unless someone deliberately unflipped them. So there not really any chance of them being able to work themselves free after unflipping.
It will certainly have to be one of the "pre-flight" checks that I'll have to perform before this rocket takes flight.
:D

I would imagine this isn't the answer you are looking for but I think the hood is crying out for something custom. Between the two I guess I would vote for the lynch pin but I don't think it is nice enough for the caliber of this build.

Jared,
Phew, where do I start?
I'm starting to think perhaps I've created a monster in you guys, you've all become accustomed to my high standards of quality, and now you're demanding even better yet!
(In a good way of course).
Lol
There's certainly no harm in pushing one to try and achieve a higher standard, but damn!, you guys are a tough crowd!
;)
It's looking at this point like I'll definitely be going with the lynch pins for safety, security, and overall looks, but maybe I should say "for now"? That is, until I come across something that's a little more befitting of the rest of the theme of the car.
Thanks for your input my friend!

HOLY SH*T that hood is epic!

Thanks very much Mike!
Thanks for checking in on the build and posting!
Much appreciated!

Donovan

Reactions: 1 users

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor