BUILD THREAD “The Juggernaut”

scoti

Royal Smart Person
Sep 5, 2019
Texas
I'm sure a lot of people don't understand the gravity of what you're doing there. Auto body 101 floors suck to replace. 202 inside corners and fine detail are things blocks don't do well and any extended work time inside the car is brutal on the body of the person doing it. Then take in the fabrication factor and the fumes. My hats off to you and your labor of love. I can't imagine there's many people doing close to what you are to an 80 cutlass or any other car. I'm sure most would give up or majorly sacrificed quality of workmanship if they tried.
It's a little-bit of everything but this mostly. Basic bodywork & sheet metal fab is more than many even attempt (preferring to leave to those that do it for a living so it's done right). Going up the Totem Pole puts you w/those that try only to learn they maybe didn't do it well enough so there's things that still need attention. Complexity gives way to 'get-er done'. Your level is what I consider 'craftmanship' tier. You're making complex panels & leaving them exposed as part of the build.

I can do sheet metal stuff & have done paint & body. I've done it enough to understand my limitations given my tools & work area. I'll do small stuff underhood or fab work on metal that isn't going to be a 100% visual aspect on a build. I'm struggling w/that as we speak trying to plan out the 'build-out' of my front wheel tub venture. I'll be watching for the updates.

Reactions: 5 users

Rktpwrd

Builder of Cool Shjt
Supporting Member
Feb 2, 2015
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
I'm sure a lot of people don't understand the gravity of what you're doing there. Auto body 101 floors suck to replace. 202 inside corners and fine detail are things blocks don't do well and any extended work time inside the car is brutal on the body of the person doing it. Then take in the fabrication factor and the fumes. My hats off to you and your labor of love. I can't imagine there's many people doing close to what you are to an 80 cutlass or any other car. I'm sure most would give up or majorly sacrificed quality of workmanship if they tried.

I didn't understand the majority of the work he was doing in the last month or so. I saw it. But it is hard for me to wrap my head around the intricacies. I'm trying and still enjoying it. Plus the fact that his workmanship is probably 99.9% better than most in this "hobby". If I were to watch a brain surgeon operating... yea... very similar 😆

It's a little-bit of everything but this mostly. Basic bodywork & sheet metal fab is more than many even attempt (preferring to leave to those that do it for a living so it's done right). Going up the Totem Pole puts you w/those that try only to learn they maybe didn't do it well enough so there's things that still need attention. Complexity gives way to 'get-er done'. Your level is what I consider 'craftmanship' tier. You're making complex panels & leaving them exposed as part of the build.

I can do sheet metal stuff & have done paint & body. I've done it enough to understand my limitations given my tools & work area. I'll do small stuff underhood or fab work on metal that isn't going to be a 100% visual aspect on a build. I'm struggling w/that as we speak trying to plan out the 'build-out' of my front wheel tub venture. I'll be watching for the updates.

Thank you gentlemen, I’m flattered and honoured with your kind words.

The thing to remember here is that your skill set is an always changing, ever fluid thing. The more you do, the more experience and confidence you gain. I’m not patting myself on the back here, but my skill level now isn’t anywhere near what it was 20 years ago. Or even 5 years ago for that matter. And it’ll likely be better yet in the years to come.

My point is, is that we (should) never stop growing, never stop learning, never stop trying new things and working on improving our skill sets.

You all may look at what I’m doing with amazement now, but the reality is that I was where many of you were not so very long ago. I’m merely doing what any of you would, taking what I’ve learned through past experiences and other knowledge gained along the way, and applying it the best I know how for today.

And yes scoti, I understand knowing the limits of a particular skill set, be it the tools you have to work with, or even merely the desire. Most people probably couldn’t be bothered with doing things like making their own custom floors built from scratch, but it’s also one more thing that will differentiate my stuff from theirs. That’s a feather in my proverbial cap all in itself.

Thank you all again for the kind words. It’s very much valued and appreciated.

• Agree
Reactions: 14 users

scoti

Royal Smart Person
Sep 5, 2019
Texas
Thank you gentlemen, I’m flattered and honoured with your kind words.

The thing to remember here is that your skill set is an always changing, ever fluid thing. The more you do, the more experience and confidence you gain. I’m not patting myself on the back here, but my skill level now isn’t anywhere near what it was 20 years ago. Or even 5 years ago for that matter. And it’ll likely be better yet in the years to come.

My point is, is that we (should) never stop growing, never stop learning, never stop trying new things and working on improving our skill sets.

You all may look at what I’m doing with amazement now, but the reality is that I was where many of you were not so very long ago. I’m merely doing what any of you would, taking what I’ve learned through past experiences and other knowledge gained along the way, and applying it the best I know how for today.

And yes scoti, I understand knowing the limits of a particular skill set, be it the tools you have to work with, or even merely the desire. Most people probably couldn’t be bothered with doing things like making their own custom floors built from scratch, but it’s also one more thing that will differentiate my stuff from theirs. That’s a feather in my proverbial cap all in itself.

Thank you all again for the kind words. It’s very much valued and appreciated.
Fab work can be done in a typical shop environment. Paint & body work that's properly done needs a CLEAN environment. That's the limitation for me as I don't have a proper clean space to do legit paint/body work. Clean isn't just the atmosphere either. Air supply is sort of important here. Clean, dry air makes a difference. I don't have either of those. I'll admit, my space is better than many others have it.

You're 100% on point about always pushing your knowledge base. I've had to tweak my logic process when in the learning curve more than once. You know.... Work smarter not harder.

Reactions: 3 users

383_GrandPrix

G-Body Guru
Sep 9, 2016
Quebec, Canada
I haven't been following the Juggernaut thread very long, only jumped in after you finished up Oldscool. I like the hood, I was thinking about possibly trying the same thing with the hood on my Grand Prix as I don't like any of the aftermarket hoods I see. I have a basic understanding of the level of work that goes into all the body work and the suck finishing can bring only because I worked as a machinist and did not like having to do all the sanding for the aerospace spec finishes. Hats off to you for all the hard work you put in and hours spent.

Tony1968

Royal Smart Person
Supporting Member
Jul 1, 2018
NW Indiana
I haven't been following the Juggernaut thread very long, only jumped in after you finished up Oldscool. I like the hood, I was thinking about possibly trying the same thing with the hood on my Grand Prix as I don't like any of the aftermarket hoods I see. I have a basic understanding of the level of work that goes into all the body work and the suck finishing can bring only because I worked as a machinist and did not like having to do all the sanding for the aerospace spec finishes. Hats off to you for all the hard work you put in and hours spent.
Go back a long way in this thread and read about fabbing that hood. More work than you can imagine and if I remember correctly it isn't done!?!?

• Agree
Reactions: 1 users

Rktpwrd

Builder of Cool Shjt
Supporting Member
Feb 2, 2015
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
Well, in a week very uncharacteristic for me, I haven’t been able to get out to The Skunkworks all week. Seems I had something on the go every night last week. FML

But now the weekend is here, and it’s a long weekend for us northerner’s. Not much to report obviously, but I do have a couple of things to relay.

Yesterday I got an email from Summit Racing to notify me that my clutch and hydraulic throwout bearing order is shipping, a couple weeks ahead of schedule which is a nice surprise. Should be here by the end of the day on Thursday.

F78CAC86-56BF-4CCC-B63E-781D8B590ECD.png

This morning I grabbed the registration for Olds Cool and got it renewed for another 2 years. Still haven’t taken it out of storage yet since the weather here has sucked a$$ all spring, but the Three Hills show is coming up real quick and I want to have the option of going if the weather cooperates.
It looks like it has survived the winter across the alley in the neighbor’s garage really well, the battery tender has kept the battery charged, and no signs of rodent activity. It’s got a flat left front tire, but if that’s the worst of it, I’ll take it.

After I got home from renewing the plate, I got out in the shop and got the last of the seam sealing done on the rear firewall. It required back masking the larger gaps so that the seam sealer didn’t just push and fall through, but it’s done and just has to cure for now. The clock starts now, in 2-3 weeks I should be able to epoxy prime the entire rear firewall without fear of it cracking because the seam sealer shrank.

A686C881-3C1B-49EF-854C-F6A9F755AC79.jpeg

1BE405F2-EF16-4F56-98A4-F81ADED5B306.jpeg

By the way, this is the kind of thing that keeps my OCD and me awake at night, the thing of my nightmares. There’s almost no way to make it look good, and that bugs the shjt outta me. That being said, I think I did the best I could on it.

That’s all for now, I’m going to spend the remainder of the long weekend working on refining the cardboard floor template, and seeing about getting it transferred to a preliminary metal version.

D.

Last edited:
Reactions: 10 users

Tony1968

Royal Smart Person
Supporting Member
Jul 1, 2018
NW Indiana
Think 'form follows function'
At least that’s what I say when something is purely utilitarian

Reactions: 1 user

Rktpwrd

Builder of Cool Shjt
Supporting Member
Feb 2, 2015
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
Think 'form follows function'
At least that’s what I say when something is purely utilitarian

Yep, or as I say, “fit for purpose”. It works for the purpose of which it was intended for. Thankfully most of it will be hidden by the interior panels.

• Agree
Reactions: 4 users

melloelky

Comic Book Super Hero
Oct 22, 2017
mass
sometimes the self leveling seam sealer works out.other times it runs the hell away from me🙃

• Agree

motorheadmike

Geezer
Nov 18, 2009
Saskatchewan, Truckistan
Well, in a week very uncharacteristic for me, I haven’t been able to get out to The Skunkworks all week. Seems I had something on the go every night last week. FML

But now the weekend is here, and it’s a long weekend for us northerner’s. Not much to report obviously, but I do have a couple of things to relay.

Yesterday I got an email from Summit Racing to notify me that my clutch and hydraulic throwout bearing order is shipping, a couple weeks ahead of schedule which is a nice surprise. Should be here by the end of the day on Thursday.

View attachment 199012

This morning I grabbed the registration for Olds Cool and got it renewed for another 2 years. Still haven’t taken it out of storage yet since the weather here has sucked a$$ all spring, but the Three Hills show is coming up real quick and I want to have the option of going if the weather cooperates.
It looks like it has survived the winter across the alley in the neighbor’s garage really well, the battery tender has kept the battery charged, and no signs of rodent activity. It’s got a flat left front tire, but if that’s the worst of it, I’ll take it.

After I got home from renewing the plate, I got out in the shop and got the last of the seam sealing done on the rear firewall. It required back masking the larger gaps so that the seam sealer didn’t just push and fall through, but it’s done and just has to cure for now. The clock starts now, in 2-3 weeks I should be able to epoxy prime the entire rear firewall without fear of it cracking because the seam sealer shrank.

View attachment 199010

View attachment 199011

By the way, this is the kind of thing that keeps my OCD and me awake at night, the thing of my nightmares. There’s almost no way to make it look good, and that bugs the shjt outta me. That being said, I think I did the best I could on it.

That’s all for now, I’m going to spend the remainder of the long weekend working on refining the cardboard floor template, and seeing about getting it transferred to a preliminary metal version.

D.

Surprised you didn't tape line it.

For example at 5:30 mark:

It is the lesser of two evils IMO. But... There is the complexity vs. reward vs. time aspect to consider as well. Juice worth the squeeze?

Looks awesome none the less.

I am still convinced that you are a masochist.

van gogh art GIF by Anne Horel

;)

• Haha
Reactions: 8 users

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor