The kids are all right

Status
Not open for further replies.

64nailhead

Goat Herder
Dec 1, 2014
Upstate NY
Ahh, but I forget all those non-diesel burning tractors working the land, and all that nitrogen fertilizer and pesticides that don't run off I to the river systems causing poisonous algae blooms, and the dead zone from the Mississippi delta quickly taking over larger and larger areas of the gulf.

Then again ethanol and it's touted benefits as being closer to carbon neutral assumes that the emissions it's makes are offset by fixation of atmospheric carbon in the growth process. Problem expands when you consider the energy needed to generate the ethanol, all the manufacturing and emissions while making consumables and equipment used in the process....

Even the so called 'green energy' from solar or wind, once you get past the manufacturing of equipment has impacts not even modeled or studied yet. Wind, waves, jet streams, gulf streams, all occurs due to heating and cooling of the earth. As you remove this atmospheric energy you begin altering weather patterns, heat that causes evaporation and upwelling/downdrafts, so on, so forth. Just a nudge here and there at first, but at what point does the change and system alteration start running away - - just like releasing a little extra co2 by burning fossil fuels. Starts with a tad, then you've altered the mechanics of the natural system.

And you've come full circle on a good reason to use fossil/non-renewable resources.

You've described the 'energy vs. entropy' discussion to justify our tax dollars going to oil companies (conglomerate farmers) to receive tax breaks to keep us dependent on their product.

My argument is to not import jack sh*t in terms of energy from another country to benefit the select few, and not export jack sh*t to help the China import crap that we can produce here so that anyone other than a farmer benefits. We import meat (beef, chicken and pork) from China while we pay farmers to not produce???!#?$!#%%$&?? LIKE WTF - who benefits? Once you find the beneficieries of that system, then you'll be onto the issue IMHO.

Drill baby drill if the energy stays here and the value of the energy benefits someone here that actually produces it (including oil from Canada as well). But to watch it benefit another country while we suffer with the result is what gets me fired up. We're fubar'd AFAIC until ...... hopefully someday when American politicans are concerned about Americans. Probably a pipe dream, but it's the only hope that I have for my children.

I just loaded the woodstove up :mrgreen:
Me too, and also just threw another face cord in the basement because we are getting 12-18 over the next couple of days - I'm shipping you some snow - beware of all refrigerated packages arriving at your door step.

• Haha
Reactions: 1 users

ck80

Supporting Member
Feb 18, 2014
And you've come full circle on a good reason to use fossil/non-renewable resources.

You've described the 'energy vs. entropy' discussion to justify our tax dollars going to oil companies (conglomerate farmers) to receive tax breaks to keep us dependent on their product.

My argument is to not import jack sh*t in terms of energy from another country to benefit the select few, and not export jack sh*t to help the China import crap that we can produce here so that anyone other than a farmer benefits. We import meat (beef, chicken and pork) from China while we pay farmers to not produce???!#?$!#%%$&?? LIKE WTF - who benefits? Once you find the beneficieries of that system, then you'll be onto the issue IMHO.

Drill baby drill if the energy stays here and the value of the energy benefits someone here that actually produces it (including oil from Canada as well). But to watch it benefit another country while we suffer with the result is what gets me fired up. We're fubar'd AFAIC until ...... hopefully someday when American politicans are concerned about Americans. Probably a pipe dream, but it's the only hope that I have for my children.

Me too, and also just threw another face cord in the basement because we are getting 12-18 over the next couple of days - I'm shipping you some snow - beware of all refrigerated packages arriving at your door step.
I'd say look at other environmental causes as well through the years... and who the secret funder/donor banks to help normalize the message were.

When I was a kid if you bought... well, almost anything at the grocery store it either came wrapped in cardboard and foil/waxed paper, was in a tin can, or glass.

No plastic bottles or bags. Your groceries were either in a paper bag or cardboard box.

Then we heard 'save the trees'... logging is bad - never mind both that logging companies maintained healthy fire-free forests to manage their product, or the fact that so much pulp wood was planted for later harvest as a managed resource.

So, plastic -and oil- went huge. Now we hear about microplastics and nonbiodegradable landfills and how there's so many types of plastic it isn't economical to recycle it all.

All solutions in search of problems. Paper rots.. Glass is easy to reuse or recycle. So are metal cans. But no, we NEEDED plastic to save the trees.

Same thing. We've reduced or eliminated rail networks and expanded over-the-road fleets to have a net increase in emissions because we needed just-in-time-inventory control.

We've made disposable planned obsolescence cars that require more emissions to produce, have less recyclable content, than any difference in emissions they save.

Meanwhile, I burn biomass for heat and I 'pollute'... but that same tree, or branch, or wood scrap rots anyways creating its own emissions. Meanwhile I don't burn oil, or gas, trapped miles underground to do it. So who's the environmental bad guy?

Me burning surface carbon which, in turn, gets sucked up by the trees, grass, and brush now growing where I cut up the dead/diseased tree I harvested using my almost 50 year old truck?

Or the city dweller running their home on natural gas and their prius that's the 6th different vehicle that had to be manufactured to occupy the same automotive lifespan my truck still does?

My 50 year old truck has more tailpipe emissions than that prius. But my truck has also been the more environmentally conscious vehicle.

That concludes this hour's medication-induced rant. Who knows what the next topic of instruction will be :popcorn:

Reactions: 4 users

64nailhead

Goat Herder
Dec 1, 2014
Upstate NY
That concludes this hour's medication-induced rant. Who knows what the next topic of instruction will be :popcorn:
Not a rant, but rather your observations that are very difficult to disagree with!

• Agree
Reactions: 3 users

pagrunt

Geezer
Sep 14, 2014
Elderton, Pa
When I was a kid if you bought... well, almost anything at the grocery store it either came wrapped in cardboard and foil/waxed paper, was in a tin can, or glass.

No plastic bottles or bags. Your groceries were either in a paper bag or cardboard box.

Then we heard 'save the trees'... logging is bad - never mind both that logging companies maintained healthy fire-free forests to manage their product, or the fact that so much pulp wood was planted for later harvest as a managed resource.

So, plastic -and oil- went huge. Now we hear about microplastics and nonbiodegradable landfills and how there's so many types of plastic it isn't economical to recycle it all.

All solutions in search of problems. Paper rots.. Glass is easy to reuse or recycle. So are metal cans. But no, we NEEDED plastic to save the trees.
This reminds me of being able to get a case of 16oz Pepsi/Coke/RC glass bottles & getting nickle back for each bottle that the bottler cleaned to reuse. Replaced the recycle/reuse bottle for one that's not.

Reactions: 3 users

jiho

Royal Smart Person
Jul 26, 2013
There's no free energy lunch, that's for sure. It occurs to me, though, that with biofuels (for an easy example) the problems are more of a process nature -- that is, details in how you implement the solution, not really with the underlying solution itself. With batteries, there are problems with the solution itself that no one really knows how to fix yet.

Reactions: 1 user

Jim Rockford

Master Mechanic
Nov 10, 2007
Shelby,N.C.
I seen a presser one time where a GM exec (Female) was touting the greenness of the chevy volt and when someone ask her how the car was charged she thought they where talking about plugging it is , then the guy says well Where did the electricity come from, trying to get her to understand it was coming from a coal fired power plant in town..lol she was clueless and didnt get the jist of his question..LOL lucky for me My local grocery store offers paper bags, I can haul all my groceries in 2 paper bags and 1 trip, vs have 2 items in 15 plastic bags. I have to teach most of the baggers that these will hold way more than the plastic ones and to Fill em to the top with items .

Reactions: 1 users
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor