The Made in USA thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Nov 4, 2012
Yes as much as I did like Craftsman, ever since they started going foreign, I have slowly been switching all my tools over to Stanley Hand Tools. The one thing I won't get rid of are the Craftsman roller- bearing tool chests, nothing compares to them even if they are foreign. But as for hand tools, I am not running to sears every time some cheapie Made in China ratchet breaks. Some Snap-On tools are foreign made, too.

jociha

Master Mechanic
Oct 16, 2012
What about the repro parts or just plain replacement parts you put on your car everyday. One of the best suspention companys "MOOG" gets not all but a lot of parts made overseas. They are so mixed from car to car you never know. If you replace a body panel with aftermarket, i am not aware of any made here. You can build an entire 69 Camaro with repro parts and have almost a complete foreign car. A lot of parts you assume were made here are not. China is now shipping alluminum heads for all big 3 motors. It sucks because even when you buy AC Delco parts a company known for good parts made here for decades now they have moved most manufacturing overseas. Heartbreaking. I bet we all have parts on our classic car we never though were foreign.

shanghaismith

Greasemonkey
Mar 5, 2010
Macon, GA
jsiler said:
I like this thread.Most people wont care where their stuff comes from until it affects their job.I have a friend who bought a Toyata fj cruiser and we had the talk about buying an American made car.He basically said he didnt care he was going to buy what he wanted.I understand that arguement but what is happening is that most of those middle class jobs are gone now.How can these companies expect to build all of their products overseas and then try to bring em back to a country where nobody has jobs to buy their stuff.
Check out this song.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lOWrqR_QFfg

DoubleV

Royal Smart Person
Feb 25, 2011
Medina Ohio
Just took my driveshaft into a reputable place to do my U-joints yesterday. They used quality U-joints that were made in the USA. I was actually stunned. It's a sad time when you're actually shocked to see something still made here instead of being made in China. Greed has ruined our once great country and turned it into a bad joke.

jociha

Master Mechanic
Oct 16, 2012
Can you share the brand of U Joints you used, we can all look for them in the future.

DoubleV

Royal Smart Person
Feb 25, 2011
Medina Ohio
They are made by Neapco. I was BSing with the guy there and he gave me the story about them. I asked the guy if Neapco was the same as the Brute Force joints ( which are made in China but are actually supposed to be pretty good ). I don't recall the story specifics, but he says that the Neapco U-joints used to be affiliated with the Brute Force joints, then BF moved to China and Neapco continued to make them here. Something like that anyway. For $72 in quality parts and labor, I'm pretty OK with that.

bill

Royal Smart Person
Jul 11, 2008
southside va/lake gaston
Im so old....I can remember when Walmart used to boast "MADE IN THE USA" on the tv ads....then the old man kicked the bucket...and bill clinton got bought out by the waltons to open the flood gates to china...and the rest as they say...is history.

Just to add..... "Price is a one time thing....Quality is a lifetime thing" "Good things are seldom cheap...and cheap things are seldom good!" These idealogies have been thrown in the trash pile, along with the American Middle Class...our work ethic....our education systems....and our moral fiber....

It wasnt that long ago when people in this country were more concerned about quality, reputation, and origin of parts/tools/ products etc.... Now...the only thing they care about is the price....and they get what they paid for....

:blam:

Bonnewagon

Lost in the Labyrinth
Supporting Member
Sep 18, 2009
Queens, NY
I'm so old, I can remember when "Made in Japan" carried the same indignity that we now reserve for China. Of course Japan spread the wealth among the people and has been moribund for decades. China seems to be on a tear to have it all yesterday and the ecology be damned. Kind of a weird bizzaro version of dribble-down economics.

hurst1979olds

G-Body Guru
Feb 19, 2011
East Stroudsburg, PA
Callies Crankshafts, The Dragonslayer series....I'm putting together a rotating assembly for a customers BBC 582 I will be building and just got off the phone with Callies. He told me the Compstar series is a foreign import...As well and Eagle and Scat crankshafts.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor