The "Other" Project

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bar50

Royal Smart Person
Jan 1, 2009
Tulsa, OK
That original color and style interior makes that even cooler.

• Agree
Reactions: 1 user

mikester

Comic Book Super Hero
Mar 10, 2010
Small town NY
Well, today I started to tear into the 81 again. Theres about a solid weeks worth of work left but the way I do things it might turn into a month. LOL

Ive got the dash pulled back out so I can make a decent harness for the gauges and clean up some of the wires that are under there. Plus I didnt have the dash seated in all the way on the left side. I really thought it would be an easy pull since I had the one in the wagon in and out so many times. Of course it wasnt. I couldnt get the plugs on the column out. Wound up pulling it completely out of the car. It was a little tougher with the seats in too. I might pull them out of the car since theyre only partially installed. Originally I was going to reuse the stock radio so I repaired the original wires for it. Now Im using the other spare Alpine so thats all getting changed around while I have it out.
Im also going to bench test EVERY bulb socket before I put it back together. That lesson was learned with the wagon dash.

IMG_1892 (002).JPG
IMG_1893 (002).JPG
IMG_1895 (002).JPG

What a mess ! LOL
IMG_1894 (002).JPG

Reactions: 1 users

mikester

Comic Book Super Hero
Mar 10, 2010
Small town NY
I spy with my little eye phone guy shears....

Funny you should spot those in that mess. Im lucky enough to have two pair of those. They were a standard thing to have in a tool box at my old job. One of my friends hooked me up with them. The heat gun too. I worked with/around great guys !

Reactions: 1 user

mikester

Comic Book Super Hero
Mar 10, 2010
Small town NY
Two more things fixed this afternoon ! Hopefully I can get someone to help me support the dash on the right side and I can get it back in tomorrow. I finally got the wires fixed. A trip to the junkyard and I came home with two fuse blocks yesterday. Im glad I got the second one. While I was doing the splice I used the wrong size shrink tubing and couldnt get it over the splice so I had to take it apart a second time.
You can see the piece I had to replace and why I couldnt put in a splice since the wire was so short.
IMG_1914 (002).JPG

This is what it looked like from the back. after it was done. Not too bad after I was able to get the connector out of the block. I spliced into the harness about 8" up.
IMG_1915 (002).JPG

This came out of the junkyard harness. You really have to love GM splices. 6 in, 5 out and covered with black tape. LOL I redid every one of these in the light harness in the wagon. I used butt connectors with no insulation. Drilled a small hole in the connector, stuck the wires in, crimped it, heated the connector up and put the solder into the small hole I drilled. Then I used marine shrink tubing to seal it all up.
IMG_1910 (002).JPG

I found one more set of wires that were cut and put back together with crimp connectors. Took them apart, soldered them and sealed them up so hopefully thats the end of the wire mess.

Reactions: 4 users

mikester

Comic Book Super Hero
Mar 10, 2010
Small town NY
Spent some time getting the dash back in today. Its like every job creates more small jobs. I had to run to the yard to grab another piece of the trim that goes between the kick panel and A pillar. Lucky for me there was a decent one left in a Cutlass. Im glad it wasnt the right side because that had a ton of screw holes in it for some reason.
After crawling around under the dash my neck and back were killing me so I figured I'd play around with something else that I could do standing for a little while. I hit the trunk lid with some polish on a foam pad and finished it with some hand glaze. I think it looks pretty decent for paint done in 1989.

Tomorrow is another day. I found a wire loose at the top of the kick panel. It came from the door jamb switch for the interior lights. Panels out and I'm fixing that first. Then the column goes back in.
One thing Im not sure about. Anyone know what cables go where when you have a heater box and not AC ? Ive got three and have no clue.
IMG_1927 (002).JPG
IMG_1925 (002).JPG
IMG_1926 (002).JPG

Reactions: 2 users

mikester

Comic Book Super Hero
Mar 10, 2010
Small town NY
Well, Ive been working on the 81 since the last post and just like the wagon it seems like nothing goes easy. LOL
Since I decided to replace most of the rubber parts in the brake system and flush the SS lines its been a pain in the butt. Got a new master from rockauto. Took it out of the box (Delco), primed it, painted it and mounted it to the booster. Never thought of looking in the box. It didnt come with a cover. WTH ?? Now I have to contact them tomorrow to see what can be done since its been over 30 days.
Pulled one of the wheel cylinders off the Moser rear. Since they had the brakes described as 11" Torino drums I had the local parts place order a set of Wagner cylinders for a 70 Torino with 11" brakes. Looked at them in the store, looked at the fitting size, circle that goes through the backing plate, bolt hole location. Good right ? When I tried to put them in they dont fit between the tabs that are part of the backing plate. The new cylinders are almost 3/8 longer than the ones that came with the rear from Moser. Not going to work. Looks like Im redoing the ones that came with the rear.
Wont have enough room to get my hands up in there to put the new lines into the proportioning valve with the header on so thats off now. Along with the valve cover on the left side.
I posted this comment on someone elses thread not long ago. Theres a lot of truth to it. If working on an old car was easy everyone would be doing it.
One things for sure, when these are complete I'M DONE ! No more projects. Getting too old for this crap. LMAO

mikester

Comic Book Super Hero
Mar 10, 2010
Small town NY
It just keeps getting better. LOL
A few years ago I replaced the shoes that came with the Moser rear. Something leaked on one of them and I couldnt get it off so I figured I'd just get another set. Easy right ? I called Moser and asked their tech what shoes would fit. I was told the drum setup was from an F150. Went to the local auto parts and nothing matched. Called Moser back, explained the problem and the tech actually argued with me telling me the guys in the parts place didnt know what they were doing. Long story short, I talked to his boss. He pulled the original order and got a list of all the components that went into my rear. The brakes were for a Ford Torino. Now comes the best part. LOL
While I had the guy on the phone he gave me a full list of part numbers that included the wheel cylinders ! I totally forgot that I had that until I pulled the papers out of the folder this morning. Moser used Dorman cylinders back then. Ran back to the auto parts, returned the Wagners, ordered the Dormans and an hour later went back and picked them up. Perfect.
Then I started to put everything back together. Blew out the long line that goes front to back. Went to put the rubber hose on and it was the wrong one ! Fittings and length are right, but the new one has two tabs on the end that goes into the frame. My hose has a hex end. A third trip to the parts place. This auto parts is about 30 minutes away. I was kinda pissed. When I gave the two of them to the guy at the counter he couldnt see any difference. I actually had to show him. Geez, I didnt notice it either until I tried to put it in. Got my money back.
Tonight I spent a few hours searching through the rockauto listings. I think I found the right hose. Fits a 73 Camaro. It looks right in the pictures. Time will tell..

mikester

Comic Book Super Hero
Mar 10, 2010
Small town NY
A little update for you folks.
Gots the brakes all finished a while ago. Ive got most of the wiring done under the hood with the exception of the 6AL. Redid the fusible links on the starter. It looks decent. Now the next issue. LOL. When I was putting the starter wires on I noticed the freeze plug over the starter was starting to weep in a spot. Needless to say I was pissed. Strange as it sounds I never took one out so I called the guy that built the motor. He said he would come over one morning and pop another one in for me. Nice guy.
Im sure you guys know how much crap had to come back off. Header, plugs, wires, starter. And of course the valve cover so I could get to the back header bolt. What a pain in the *ss. LOL
Long story short, it took a few weeks before the guy could get here. He showed up yesterday. I cant believe how difficult it was to pull that stupid plug out. It took him prying it from above and me twisting it out from underneath. Anyway, its done. Later today I'll start putting everything back together.
I also have the left inner fender back in. Should have the right side done by the end of the day.
Little by little its going back together.

Glad it wasnt the one behind the motor mount. LOL I mangled it like this with a pair of needle nose vise grips after it was pushed into the block. I was surprised the hole didnt get scratched up but it looked perfect. Used Permatex 2 sealer. Hope it doesnt leak !!!!

IMG_2092 (002).JPG

IMG_2063 (002).JPG

This was fun. I had it in and out 3 times before I figured out how it was supposed to fit at the front fender and radiator support. Plus I lost the stupid bolt for the steering column so I had to make a quick trip to the yard. I also repainted the end of the column since it got all scratched up.

IMG_2064 (002).JPG

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor