The Purple Monkey Dishwasher TBSS

Status
Not open for further replies.

motorheadmike

Geezer
Nov 18, 2009
Saskatchewan, Truckistan
On the way home from the body shop I couldn't get the AC to work. First thought was it finally lost its charge. While changing the wheels yesterday I found a clue.

PXL_20220817_193723755.jpg

That belt was brand new in December. So three months old, with minimal use. Second thought: cheap belt.

Reality check: compressor pulley is seized/grinding.

FML - I don't want to play this game anymore.

• Sad
  • Wow
Reactions: 2 users

81cutlass

Comic Book Super Hero
Feb 16, 2009
Western MN
Does a TBSS have the G3 LS style AC belt where it has an idler or does it have the G4 stretchy belt?

It might just be the tensioner pulley?

motorheadmike

Geezer
Nov 18, 2009
Saskatchewan, Truckistan
Does a TBSS have the G3 LS style AC belt where it has an idler or does it have the G4 stretchy belt?

It might just be the tensioner pulley?

Idler style. Original at 144k miles.

But, I got my hand on the compressor pulley and it feels like seized/seizing bearings. It's bad. It wasn't like that in December - I checked.

81cutlass

Comic Book Super Hero
Feb 16, 2009
Western MN
Idler style. Original at 144k miles.

But, I got my hand on the compressor pulley and it feels like seized/seizing bearings. It's bad. It wasn't like that in December - I checked.

It's a pain but doable. I've done my compressor twice.

Pull radiator, some rad hoses/coolant hoses, coolant & washer reservoir, kinda wiggles out the front.

• Wow
Reactions: 2 users

CopperNick

Comic Book Super Hero
Supporting Member
Feb 20, 2018
Canada
The joy you feel when you remove the dying compressor will only be compounded when you take a bat or a crowbar to the soon to be a recyclable corpse and pound it into a pulp, thus speeding it on its way to the scrap bin. Do not forget to remove all the little fiddley bits that you might need for when you install the new one.

Nick

Reactions: 1 user

motorheadmike

Geezer
Nov 18, 2009
Saskatchewan, Truckistan
It's got a power steering fluid leak at the cooler now too. F me sideways. Bypass it?

Winter use only I suppose.

• Wow
  • Sad
Reactions: 1 users

Tomeal

G-Body Guru
Apr 17, 2016
Clyde,pa
It's got a power steering fluid leak at the cooler now too. F me sideways. Bypass it?

Winter use only I suppose.

Look at how far apart the kitty is. If you don't fix it right you will second guess or regret yourself. You don't need it right now, budget the time fix it the way you know you want to!

Reactions: 1 users

CopperNick

Comic Book Super Hero
Supporting Member
Feb 20, 2018
Canada
Is, strictly speaking , the cooler necessary? if not then pull the lines and cork or plug the ports with appropriate fittings. Once you score another cooler or yard the bleeder out to get it resoldered, then you can re-attach the lines and back to rock and roll.

Nick

motorheadmike

Geezer
Nov 18, 2009
Saskatchewan, Truckistan
Is, strictly speaking , the cooler necessary? if not then pull the lines and cork or plug the ports with appropriate fittings. Once you score another cooler or yard the bleeder out to get it resoldered, then you can re-attach the lines and back to rock and roll.

Nick

They installed it from the factory... and I put oversized tires on it. So I would say it's needed.

Ironically a larger universal unit is cheaper than the OEM replacement. Guess I know what I'm doing, eh?

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor