Thinking of selling my wheels and tires, what's a fair price?

383_StealthRam

Greasemonkey
Dec 29, 2016
1665119658437.png

1665119695631.png

So I've had these in my garage for a couple of years, and I've more or less decided there's no real reason to keep them as I don't think I'll be getting another Cutlass in the future to use them on which is why I was saving them. I switched to the Year One 17" Olds Rallye wheels, and highly doubt I'll ever go back to the 15" wheels and tires.

For consideration are five (5) wheels, with BF Goodrich Radial T/A tires as follows:

2 - 15" x 7" Wheel Vintiques Chrome SSIII Rallye reproductions with P225/60R15 (fronts) excellent condition, no dry rot, or cracking, etc. approx. 80%+ tread left see pics/video
2 - 15" x 7" Wheel Vintiques Chrome SSIII Rallye reproductions with P245/60R15 (rears) excellent condition, no dry rot, or cracking, etc. approx. 80%+ tread left see pics/video
1 - 15" x 7" OEM 85-87 442 Chrome/Gold SSIII Rallye with P245/60R15 (spare) brand new condition, never been on the car, still has lettering on tread see pics/video

The WV wheels were purchased new, and in excellent condition with OEM center caps.
The 442 wheel was bought used and is not perfect, I simply bought it for a spare and never got around to repainting it black to match the WV's. No center cap.

Of note is after buying the 442 wheel for a spare, I realized it uses slightly different wheel backspace and offset from the WV wheels.

The 442 wheel 4” backspace 0” offset
The WV wheel 4 ¼” backspace (+¼” offset)
The Year One 17" wheels on the car now are 4 ½" backspace, just an FYI.

Anyway, so I washed the dust off them off today and am looking for what would be fair asking price for either the set (of 4) WV wheels/tires, with or without the 442 spare wheel/tire.

I'm not in any particular rush (or pressure) to sell them, and would surely sell the 442 wheel on it's own if someone needs one, or for a spare (it's not perfect, has some rust spots).

I will only sell wheels with tires, and as local pickup (Long Island, NY)...shipping would be pretty much out of the question unfortunately.

I would really like to see them go to someone that's going to put them on nice project Cutlass who's a fan of the "period correct" look with the 15" wheels/tires.

Thanks in advance for comments/feedback...

1665119749717.png

1665119777916.png

With the YearOne 17" chrome rallye's I replaced them with...FYI

1665120654892.png

1665120698737.png

Reactions: 4 users

MalibusNMontes

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Sep 18, 2016
North Carolina
Just my opinion, but, depending how long they were on the car, plus sitting for a few years in the garage, first thing I'd look at as a buyer is the production date on the tires.

5-6 years old and you're gambling on belt separation, which wouldn't have anything to do with cracking or dry rot. Tire can look perfectly fine on the OUTSIDE but have issues with the compound breaking down inside as it's driven on. Actually had it happen on a c10. Ever since.... well, I'm a big believer in 6 years then the tires go.

That's a long way of saying that, depending when they were made, of the car isn't a trailer queen those tires may be a liability to a buyer costing them dismount and disposal fees.

As far as the rims go, if they're as nice as they look I'd be thinking on the high side you could aim for $400 for the set of four, and $75 on the 442 rim. Might end up doing some dickering and take 400 for it all.

Insisting on a long Island pickup really hurts the market too, lots of guys just don't want to

Like my that were 6 years old.
Not fun at 75mph

View attachment 208354
I had tires on my Monte that were around 5-6 years old, one came completely off of the rim, while my wife was on the highway no less. Ruined one of my draglite wheels! No damage to the car or my wife, thank god!

wskirvin

Master Mechanic
May 22, 2017
Indianapolis, In
I would definitely buy them if I was closer. I've been looking for chrome 15's. That a bit of a drive from Indy to NY though.

85442/86buick

G-Body Guru
Feb 12, 2013
Perth Country , Ontario
in Ontario you could easy get a $ 1,000 CAD for the set of 4.
and an easy $150 plus for that 442 wheel.

I been searching for the 442 wheels for 12 plus years and have found the 2 that I own for a $ 100 for both .
there been 2 sets I know of on the market in the past 10 year last set was asking $ 1,100 CAD.

Reactions: 1 user

L05edSS

Greasemonkey
Nov 29, 2022
View attachment 208335

View attachment 208336

So I've had these in my garage for a couple of years, and I've more or less decided there's no real reason to keep them as I don't think I'll be getting another Cutlass in the future to use them on which is why I was saving them. I switched to the Year One 17" Olds Rallye wheels, and highly doubt I'll ever go back to the 15" wheels and tires.

For consideration are five (5) wheels, with BF Goodrich Radial T/A tires as follows:

2 - 15" x 7" Wheel Vintiques Chrome SSIII Rallye reproductions with P225/60R15 (fronts) excellent condition, no dry rot, or cracking, etc. approx. 80%+ tread left see pics/video
2 - 15" x 7" Wheel Vintiques Chrome SSIII Rallye reproductions with P245/60R15 (rears) excellent condition, no dry rot, or cracking, etc. approx. 80%+ tread left see pics/video
1 - 15" x 7" OEM 85-87 442 Chrome/Gold SSIII Rallye with P245/60R15 (spare) brand new condition, never been on the car, still has lettering on tread see pics/video

The WV wheels were purchased new, and in excellent condition with OEM center caps.
The 442 wheel was bought used and is not perfect, I simply bought it for a spare and never got around to repainting it black to match the WV's. No center cap.

Of note is after buying the 442 wheel for a spare, I realized it uses slightly different wheel backspace and offset from the WV wheels.

The 442 wheel 4” backspace 0” offset
The WV wheel 4 ¼” backspace (+¼” offset)
The Year One 17" wheels on the car now are 4 ½" backspace, just an FYI.

Anyway, so I washed the dust off them off today and am looking for what would be fair asking price for either the set (of 4) WV wheels/tires, with or without the 442 spare wheel/tire.

I'm not in any particular rush (or pressure) to sell them, and would surely sell the 442 wheel on it's own if someone needs one, or for a spare (it's not perfect, has some rust spots).

I will only sell wheels with tires, and as local pickup (Long Island, NY)...shipping would be pretty much out of the question unfortunately.

I would really like to see them go to someone that's going to put them on nice project Cutlass who's a fan of the "period correct" look with the 15" wheels/tires.

Thanks in advance for comments/feedback...

View attachment 208337

View attachment 208338

With the YearOne 17" chrome rallye's I replaced them with...FYI

View attachment 208339

View attachment 208340
when i sold my ss wheels i looked on ebay to see what sellin for on there and price based off that. i wanted to sell mine quick and did so for 200.00 could of maybe gotten 400.00 if wanted to wait.

69hurstolds

Geezer
Supporting Member
Jan 2, 2006
in Ontario you could easy get a $ 1,000 CAD for the set of 4.
and an easy $150 plus for that 442 wheel.

I been searching for the 442 wheels for 12 plus years and have found the 2 that I own for a $ 100 for both .
there been 2 sets I know of on the market in the past 10 year last set was asking $ 1,100 CAD.
Spotter's guide:

Any factory 15 x 7 SSIII all-chrome wheel with 4-3/4" bolt circle would work. It doesn't have to be from a 442. Fastest way to tell from 200 yards away is look at the back weld of the center section. If it's a full 360 bead, it's factory. If it's like 5 separate beads of weld, it's aftermarket. Which if built right will work fine, but just don't pay OEM prices for aftermarket stuff. If you can only see the fronts, the OEM hoop slopes inward slightly where the aftermarket is almost straight up and down, and the valve stem sits more of an angle and closer to the radius on the OEM wheel, where the aftermarket wheel has the valve stem pointing out more and slightly more inward of the radius turn at the ledge.

The biggest issue is they're getting rarer to find as the cars that had them aren't being parted out the way they used to be because there's less of them, obviously. Supply and demand. If Wheel Vintiques were still producing them, they'd likely wouldn't be as pricey due to supply/demand rules.

Also, keep in mind, the only difference between 14" and 15" SSII/III wheels is the hoop. The centers are all the same.

OEM wheels (this set was sold in May 2023 for $399, not mine):
1694342833152.png

Note location of valve stem hole closer to the radius. When the stem is in place, it does make it a bit tougher to clean in that area, however.
1694342669763.png

And you can see the weld bead is continuous on this OEM one.
1694342742841.png

Now the aftermarket wheel, you can see the valve stem angle is more of an outie because of the angle of the "slope" has changed. But it does make it easier to clean around the valve stem.
19bd48569aa146da93fe80084e61524a.jpg

And borrowing from 383_StealthRam with his video, you can see the weld beads on the back of the aftermarket wheel is not continuous.
1694344409045.png

• Informative
Reactions: 6 users

84cutlasssupreme

Apprentice
Nov 2, 2019
This isn't meant to knock the seller's products or discourage anyone from buying his items, but I bought a set of repro rims from Wheels Vintique many years ago & had lots of problems with them, including vibration issues, defects like grinding marks, & unfriendly customer service when I complained. I ended up getting rid of them for a song. I saw these tire sizes & I'll just say I was talked into 235-60-15 for my '84 Cutlass Brougham by the shop that got these rims for me. I had rubbing issues to the point I had 1/4" spacers on my front rims & I had handling issues because of it. I ended up practically giving the tires away for the right size of 215-65-15. I often wished I'd stayed with my original 14" wire caps & whitewalls! This all said, I'm going to assume the seller's rims are in good shape; they certainly look great, Good luck with your sale.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor