this I why I never let anyone touch/work on my car...

Status
Not open for further replies.

outsider_27

G-Body Guru
Mar 23, 2009
Aberdeen, SD
Gutlass said:
I installed the wheel as ive done to all my cars my whole life and just about everyone I've seen has done it, with an impact gun . Never had a problem doing it like that, never seen someone have a problem doing it like that.
That right there is the problem. The wheels need to be torqued to about 100ft.lbs. give or take depending on if they are aluminum or steel. Just going willie-nillie with an impact wrench way over torques them. I use a torque stick on my impact wrench and it stops at 100 ft.lbs.

FE3X CLONE

Comic Book Super Hero
Dec 2, 2009
Ohio
Lessen learned. DO NOT use an impact to install your wheels unless you have the torque sticks. Even then, if you're buying nice wheels torquing them down with an impact wrench doesn't take that long and can save damage to them from an impact.

Your not driving a race car and trying to get out of the pits as quick as possible. ;)

When was the last time you checked the torque on the wheels? With aluminum rims I check and double check them after 20-50 miles of driving just to make sure they haven't loosened up.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor