Thoughts on interior panels satin vs gloss

Status
Not open for further replies.

Daca214

G-Body Guru
Dec 1, 2017
Jupiter, FL
Whats everyones opinion on satin vs gloss finish?

i know its personal opinion and i know factory didnt have high gloss just curious on what everyone thinks

a couple years ago i painted all my trim with SEM paint and their satin clear. Well not knowing what i didnt know i used the wrong adhesion promoter and its scraping right off so i am redoing everything. I recently bought the seat belt holders for the front seats from the junkyard for $0.50. (Guy on ebay wanted $46.00 plus shipping.)

i just painted them with the correct adhesion promoter but used some gloss clear and i think i like it better but the entire interior might be too shiny The satin looks dull and gets dirty easy
The big trim is in satin (also different color)
320D6D7E-EAD1-4A2B-8E23-B0A51A3A7A87.jpeg
DB46E86C-C519-41DB-8C87-80C58B95AA1B.jpeg
C249F26B-FF0D-43E1-97B7-827DB1157B62.jpeg
A18F51A1-A0AE-4D28-8D73-02EFE9E75FC1.jpeg

Injectedcutty

G body LS mafia
Nov 24, 2014
Louisville, KY
I used a mixture of gloss black and Landau black on my interior. On the trim panels (A, B, sail panels and headliner trim are all SEM gloss black with satin clear. I was trying to get a semi gloss finish and it worked pretty good.
For the dash, console and a couple other things I used SEM Landau black with low luster clear. It gave those parts a more factory appearance...
20200315_005550.jpg

At the end of the day, it's your car so you have the liberty to do it how you want!

Reactions: 1 user

pagrunt

Geezer
Sep 14, 2014
Elderton, Pa
Any spot that could reflect light at the driver should be a low-gloss or matte finish: dash area, inner windsheild trim. Any other spot it shouldn't matter on the level of gloss.

• Agree
Reactions: 2 users

Daca214

G-Body Guru
Dec 1, 2017
Jupiter, FL
I used a mixture of gloss black and Landau black on my interior. On the trim panels (A, B, sail panels and headliner trim are all SEM gloss black with satin clear. I was trying to get a semi gloss finish and it worked pretty good.
For the dash, console and a couple other things I used SEM Landau black with low luster clear. It gave those parts a more factory appearance... View attachment 139202

At the end of the day, it's your car so you have the liberty to do it how you want!
Thats a sweet interior! Thanks for the input

Reactions: 1 user

mikester

Comic Book Super Hero
Mar 10, 2010
Small town NY
I sprayed every plastic interior part for my wagon and I didnt clear any of it. It came out of the gun with a low luster finish. I tried to use the satin on a piece and I felt even that looked too glossy. Everyone has a different opinion of how things should look but I think glossy plastic looks kinda tacky but its your car, your taste. Do what you think looks good.

L92 OLDS

Comic Book Super Hero
Mar 30, 2012
West Michigan
Satin as a maximum gloss level for me. The OEM’s ask us to hit a gloss level of 1 on a regular basis which is impossible on most thermoplastics even when using a special texture treatment on the injection molds (Standex Micromatte). In the automotive world a low gloss as always the goal. High gloss on automotive panels usually brings out defects on molded in color parts.

Last edited:

565bbchevy

Geezer
Aug 8, 2011
Michigan
I have always used SEM low luster clear on any painted interior parts, I have never been a fan of shiny interior plastics/vinyls especially the dash where the sun reflects off it.
If I want shiny I just open my hood.

Reactions: 5 users
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor