tight clutch pedal

Status
Not open for further replies.

cny78

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Apr 30, 2018
How odd is it to have zero free play with the clutch pedal as high as possible after rebuild with new pressure plate, disc, and t/o bearing? It's a 4-speed Saginaw. Barely got the adjuster rod between z-bar and bearing release arm in place.

pagrunt

Geezer
Sep 14, 2014
Elderton, Pa
Do you have the right throw out bearing matched to the pressure plate fingers? It sounds like you might have a long throw out bearing with long pressure plate fingers. Another issue could be a incorrect lower rod if you replaced that too.

• Agree
Reactions: 1 user

cny78

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Apr 30, 2018
Do you have the right throw out bearing matched to the pressure plate fingers? It sounds like you might have a long throw out bearing with long pressure plate fingers. Another issue could be a incorrect lower rod if you replaced that too.
Did not know there were 2 sizes bearings. It's a Perfection Clutch kit stock replacement for my 78 malibu, 400 sbc, 11 " disc. Do not want to deal with pulling that trans out to measure the bearing. Will try to find out which bearing I have. Your reply does make sense, thanks. I replaced the entire linkage system; matching it with the what was in the car. Nothing different. Do you know why there are 2 different bearings used?

buick7332

Master Mechanic
Oct 21, 2014
N.E. Philadelphia area
The clutch fork is also gbody specific

fleming442

Captain Tenneal
Dec 26, 2013
Just take the lower rod off, and see if you can wiggle the fork and throw out bearing. If it doesn't move at all, you probably have the long bearing. You should be able to see something in the...... wait for it..... fork hole!

pagrunt

Geezer
Sep 14, 2014
Elderton, Pa
Did not know there were 2 sizes bearings. It's a Perfection Clutch kit stock replacement for my 78 malibu, 400 sbc, 11 " disc. Do not want to deal with pulling that trans out to measure the bearing. Will try to find out which bearing I have. Your reply does make sense, thanks. I replaced the entire linkage system; matching it with the what was in the car. Nothing different. Do you know why there are 2 different bearings used?
The bearing lenth is related to the fingers of the plate but if it is a match set then it should be OK. Now since you said you're running a 11" clutch, what bellhousing are you using? the 11" housing is hard to find & a one year only ('78) item generally used with El Caminos & Caballeros with 350's. That bellhousing will be p/n 464697 & will have the offset ball stud like the 462606 (SBC 10.4") & the 563441 (BOP 10.4"). As buick7332 stated the forks are specific to our cars for these bellhousings, no other platform used them. They are curved to match the offset of the ball stud.

cny78

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Apr 30, 2018
The bearing lenth is related to the fingers of the plate but if it is a match set then it should be OK. Now since you said you're running a 11" clutch, what bellhousing are you using? the 11" housing is hard to find & a one year only ('78) item generally used with El Caminos & Caballeros with 350's. That bellhousing will be p/n 464697 & will have the offset ball stud like the 462606 (SBC 10.4") & the 563441 (BOP 10.4"). As buick7332 stated the forks are specific to our cars for these bellhousings, no other platform used them. They are curved to match the offset of the ball stud.
My bell housing has #3899621 stamped. The engine is a '76 400. The fork does not appear curved and does not align well with fork. Everything worked when I drove it home though. I can barely wiggle the fork with the rod disconnected, it does move.

Bonnewagon

Rocket Powered Basset Hound
Supporting Member
Sep 18, 2009
Queens, NY
The clutch fork ball stud was also available in three different sizes. It is critical to the fork placement. There is also an adjustable stud.
16908__27403.1439823219.jpg
img_0955-jpg.103801

Last edited:

cny78

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Apr 30, 2018
The clutch fork ball stud was also available in three different sizes. It is critical to the fork placement. There is also an adjustable stud.
16908__27403.1439823219.jpg
img_0955-jpg.103801
Bonnewagon- great photos.. I never removed ball stud from bell housing when cleaning up. Like I said, all worked when driven prior to rebuild. Do you know if the stock t/o bearing is 1 1/4 in tall? I am waiting to contact Perfection Clutch to find out size they have in my kit.

gnvair

Royal Smart Person
Sep 1, 2018
Southern New Jersey near Philly
You need to check your pressure plate. There are flat finger diaphragms that use the long throw out bearing and the bent finger diaphragms that use the short bearing.
Also, from my own experiences
A standard bell housing such as that 621 housing and a standard fork will cause the fork to contact the floor right under the gas pedal. Did some one bash the floor in there?

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor