CUTLASS time for a swap

Status
Not open for further replies.

wskirvin

Master Mechanic
May 22, 2017
Indianapolis, In
Well after the last few months of issues finally figured out the issues in my 455...... Top rings never seated and the second rings couldn't hold and was dumping fuel and exhaust into the bottom end. hence all the smoke coming from the breathers. Well when the machine shop tore it apart and started inspecting everything, they found some trash in the oil passages in the crank. Looks like the first shop that turned the crank after the rod knock issue when i bought the car, half assed cleaned it up and threw it in the block to get me out the door. My mistake for ever letting them touch it anyways. well long story short now i have to rebuild it again and i'm not doing it now. Going to wait till i gather all the parts for a stroker engine and then take it to someone that actually has a clue what they are doing. In the meantime, picked up a LQ4 6.0 for $225 at pull a part so that's getting gone through and will be put in the Cutlass with 243's, and hopefully the tbss intake i have(if it clears the hood). has anyone ran the LS1/2 NA Brian Tooley stage 3 or 4 cam in their cars? looking for opinions. Going to be a fun toy that may see the strip a couple times, but not a dedicated racer.... 4l80e and 3.42 posi 8.5 with factory 15" steel wheels.
IMG_2398.jpg

IMG_2399.jpg

IMG_2423.jpg

IMG_2434.jpg

IMG_2435.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_2398.jpg
    IMG_2398.jpg
    73.7 KB · Views: 297
  • IMG_2399.jpg
    IMG_2399.jpg
    99.4 KB · Views: 291
  • IMG_2423.jpg
    IMG_2423.jpg
    151.2 KB · Views: 285
Reactions: 5 users

fleming442

Captain Tenneal
Dec 26, 2013
Quitter. Another Cutlass lost to an LS..... why don't more people do Montes and Malibus? Do you know how much unfvcking I'm going to have to do once I find one to make right again?

• Haha
Reactions: 2 users

wskirvin

Master Mechanic
May 22, 2017
Indianapolis, In
Quitter. Another Cutlass lost to an LS..... why don't more people do Montes and Malibus? Do you know how much unfvcking I'm going to have to do once I find one to make right again?

Not that i'm admitting to being a quitter, just tired of dumping money into the engine and not getting to enjoy it. Had 4k in it and this happens. Just frustrated. It'll live again under Oldsmobile power, but will be a while before its back to that point. i've made sure any changes i've done to the car were easily reversable for if i ever go back to fully stock or in this case, from Olds to LS and eventually back to Olds.

lilbowtie

Comic Book Super Hero
Jan 7, 2006
Canton Mi
An engine is an engine - if your final plans are to be 455 powered why waste the time and money going LS when it can be spent on the 455. I don't see any problems with the crank other than a polish and never had a problem w/ rings seating (good rings & proper hone). Over fueling for what ever reason - problem ???. I learned the hard way not to trust parts being properly cleaned whether they are new and or machined, and go I anal cleaning before assembly. And if you want it done right - do it yourself.

• Agree
Reactions: 3 users

FastCraig

Master Mechanic
Sep 11, 2017
Huntington, WV
I agree with Lilbowtie. If your plan is to end up with a 455. Skip the LS and put you $$$$ into building a bulletproof BBO.

565bbchevy

Geezer
Aug 8, 2011
Michigan
I have seen cranks that sat for a long time after machining but did not have all of the passages properly cleaned after the initial work and metal shavings actually sealed up some of the oil passages.

Oct 14, 2008
Melville,Saskatchewan
I have a feeling it will never be Olds powered again😢. Unfortunately 455 builds fail fairly often, due to crappy machine work or too tight of clearances. Are you running the EFI? I can definitely see you not going back if you do. Sucks, when hard earned money goes down the drain.

• Agree
Reactions: 1 users

wskirvin

Master Mechanic
May 22, 2017
Indianapolis, In
I have a feeling it will never be Olds powered again😢. Unfortunately 455 builds fail fairly often, due to crappy machine work or too tight of clearances. Are you running the EFI? I can definitely see you not going back if you do. Sucks, when hard earned money goes down the drain.

Yeah it definitely sucks, but it will be Olds powered again. I had already ran EFI rated lines and filters as well as a grand national tank and the wiring for the fuel pump, just haven't put in the efi sender yett. I did this while the frame was out. Overall plan was efi on the Big block so I was breaking the engine in with a carb instead of fighting the EFI headaches with a fresh engine to worry about. and yes I hate to do it, but it is getting the LS so i can enjoy the car for now until i have the cash to send the 455 to Dick Miller to be rebuilt with stoker setup and aluminum heads. The LS will be pulled and put into my 84 C10 whenever i get the body and suspension done on it.

Reactions: 1 user
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor