Timing problems once again...I think...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Faulk21NG238

Apprentice
Jun 9, 2010
Once again I think I have timing problems.

I have a 383 stroker in my 80 Malibu. I have a 600 cfm Summit carb on an Edelbrock performer RPM intake with 170 cc intake runners (heads), Summit HEI distributor, Lunati Voodoo cam Lift .489/.504.

A few problems I am having.

First, the engine wants to die at idle until it gets good and hot (160-180F). I pulled out the timing light to check RPM's (once it would run on it own) and it was around 1300 RPM. I had someone get in and put it in gear and the RPM's drop all the way to 730. Seems to me that this is a big drop in RPM's. Again while its cold it acts up, you have to feather the gas to keep it running until it is hot. If I try to rev it very high it wants to die (like its being flooded).

The first time I timed the motor I timed it to 13 initial but when I hooked up the vacuum advance it jumped to 43 so I timed it back to 32 (which my math tells me initial would be at 2 by doing this...).

Would the first issue be fixed with timing? Did I put it in time correctly?

Faulk21NG238

Apprentice
Jun 9, 2010
I am kind of learning as I go here.

Within about 30 second of starting the engine the choke plate is basically completely open. Should the choke plate not open so soon?

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
it should never open that soon unless the engine is already warm....loosen the 3 screws holding the choke cover and turn it clockwise 1 or 2 notches that are marked near the top of the cover...that should improve it but it may need to be turned a bit more

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor