Tips for changing intake manifold

LukeZ

G-Body Guru
Apr 24, 2015
Delaware
the cast iron intake is 41 lbs, your intake is 16.5 lbs.....

have you bled the cooling system yet?
I got the performer air gap. It's a little heavier, I think closer to 22lbs. You might have found the weight of a regular performer. Thanks for finding the stock intake weight.

And no, I haven't bled the cooking system yet. I guess I could just pump my new coolant into a bucket, and then pour it back in once the entire thing is bled?

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
Part Number: 2601
Part Type: Intake Manifold
Weight: 16.50

Last edited:
  • Informative
  • Useful
Reactions: 2 users

79 USA 1

Royal Smart Person
Sep 2, 2011
Cheektowaga, New York
Just out of curiosity... Was your Intake that was on your El Camino aluminum or cast iron?
The original intake I had on my 86 El Camino (Not the original engine) was a GM Aluminum intake. I'm right now running this intake on the 267 engine in my 13,000 mile 79 Monte Carlo.
Edelbrock makes great intakes (I have a Air Gap RPM on the 406 in the avatar "Parts car") but that may explain the small weight difference.

I've always 'burped' the cooling systems in my cars by removing the radiator cap while its cold, top off the radiator, start the engine and add antifreeze as needed until the thermostat opens. (you will see the level drop as any air is displaced in the system) Once the top hose is very warm to the touch, replace the radiator cap and fill the overflow bottle to between the min and max line.

Glad to hear you have it up and running!:D
Bob S.

Reactions: 1 users

LukeZ

G-Body Guru
Apr 24, 2015
Delaware
I may have already asked (even in this thread haha), but I couldn't find anything.

Will a manifold like my Eddy 2601 - or any intake manifold on an old fashioned Gen I sbc - work with vortec heads? My brain is telling me no but I couldn't remember.

On a side note, how about exhaust manifolds too?

V8 Rumble

Royal Smart Person
Jan 7, 2010
Connecticut
I may have already asked (even in this thread haha), but I couldn't find anything.

Will a manifold like my Eddy 2601 - or any intake manifold on an old fashioned Gen I sbc - work with vortec heads? My brain is telling me no but I couldn't remember.

On a side note, how about exhaust manifolds too?

Unless you have gm fastburn heads they won't. fastburn heads have the threads for both.

• Agree
Reactions: 2 users

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor