Tire Size/Brand Advice Appreciated - 84-85 GN Wheels

Status
Not open for further replies.

hatdragracer

Not-quite-so-new-guy
May 24, 2011
Houston TX
All...I picked these up for $200....any suggestions for tire brand and size?

I have always like Radial TA's...but not sure how RWL's will look with these GN wheels on a black Regal Limited

2011-07-05_21-07-08_117.jpg

307 Regal

Royal Smart Person
Oct 21, 2009
Northern Indiana
Re: Tier Size/Brand Advice Appreciated - 84-85 GN Wheels

I've got pretty similar rims on my Regal. Where yours are painted black, mine are bare aluminum. I have Cooper Cobras on them with RWLs. The rears are 255s and the fronts are 235s. I know some guys think that's a little wide for a front tire but I've been to one too many vintage road races. :roll: Anyway, I have no fitment issues and the raised white letters really do the trick for me, but my car is rough and that's just the look I was going for. I'm not sure how RWLs would look on a black regal. They might clash a little bit. A black regal might be too classy for them but I'd have to see it first.

hatdragracer

Not-quite-so-new-guy
May 24, 2011
Houston TX
235's on front and 255's on rear...that's good to know that they will fit. Are they 60 or 70 series tires?

I showed my wife your post that a black 84 regal would be classy...she begged to differ.

dogsht

Royal Smart Person
Nov 11, 2008
Dayton, OH
60s. In fact the 235/60/15 is almost the same height as the factory original 215/65/15 that would have came on that rim so it keeps your speedometer & odometer reading correctly or at least very close. That rim and a nice white letter tire makes a Regal look sporty or sport luxury and definitely more aggressive with the blacked out centers and the 235 255 combo. Performance luxury is what best describes the Gbodys with the right wheels tires n trim. I think especially so if its dressed with bucket seats & floor shifter. Not having the vinal (sp?) top & having a blacked out grill helps to. The aluminum rims are also a lot lighter than steel rims. Definitely a good find.

Having had both on Gs I prefer the Firestone Indys to the BFG Radial TAs. They are both raised white letters, both priced about the same, and both will look sharp on that wheel but the ride and overall quality is better on the stones.

Get poly end links at the local autoparts and do them at the same time you do the wheel & tire change and you will see a noticeable handling improvement as well. End links are almost always overlooked and are an inexpensive replacement item on these cars. Mushy worn out even torn rubber in the sometimes even rusted out End links are very common on gbodys and attribute to sloppy rattly handling. You can click the little camera button and see pics of my Black Regal Grand National if you like. BTW nice collection you got going there.

PS You can see pics prices specs & reviews at http://www.tirerack.com. Click tires and put in the the size you want to look at. I usually set it to sort by price as well.

bill

Royal Smart Person
Jul 11, 2008
southside va/lake gaston
Do they make the Indy's in 14" sizes? Good smart advice about those end links too....they definately make a big difference.

dogsht

Royal Smart Person
Nov 11, 2008
Dayton, OH
Yea but unfortunately they only make or at least tirerack only lists them in 215/70/14 & 225/70/14 anymore. Which is a good size for ours Gs if you want the same size on all 4 wheels. Firestone or whoever the manufacturer of them now is may be able to do a quick computer search for you and find availability of other sizes still in warehouses around the country though. 245/60/14s look killer on a ralley wheeled G. BFG has trimmed its line of 14s as well.

TexasT

Master Mechanic
Mar 20, 2008
Texas
I've had 265/50-15 on the rear of mine with minimal frame rub. 245/60-15 or 235/60-15 work well and are about the size of a g60-15. I have a 215/75-15 on the front for now. Tall to keep the staging beams tripped as long as possible. I have run the 235/60-15 on the front and have know people with 245/60-15 on the front that rubbed a bit at full steering turn.

mebe007

Royal Smart Person
Feb 7, 2007
newport news, viginia
i currently run the indy 500 and can attest to them being a good tire. im debating fitting a 275/60/15 on the back of mine.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor