To the Big 3 (help me format and fix blah before sending this off)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pedrolif

Greasemonkey
Mar 28, 2016
New Hampshire
To GM, Ford, Chyrsler (Fiat... but that's another letter)

As an automobile enthusiast, lover of old cars, O'Reilly Team Member, and ignorant of the current federal automobile laws... I emplore you to make a basic, stripped down, easy to work on car. Manual gear box with a stick, not floppy paddles. No electric stearing or gearbox. Minimal sensors, carborated would be sweet, but cars need O2 sensors now, so toss on a simple EFI. I'm thinking actual coil pack and plug wires, not coil on boot.

The idea is to make a car that is fun to drive, easy to fix, easy to troubleshoot. Not a car that to change a spark plugs step 1 is "remove motor from car" or "remove motor mount". Granted for this to be true RWD is preferable, unless you can come up with a way to put a forward mounted motor in a front wheel drive car (there's a challenge for you, actually not so much. Take 4wd truck, drop rear drive shaft and change the shape/function of the gearbox.)

Everyone is pushing for the latest and greatest tech in cars today. That has it's place, but... For the love of cars! Us shade-tree mechanics want a car that works and is easy to work on, without needing $5k worth of special tools.

Biggest gripe right now with autos is the difficulty to repair/troubleshoot problems. Is it a bad sensor or is something actually wrong? Is that sensor required, or does it just give info to the PCU so other programs run better. Do we need seven different sensors to monitor the same system? (hypothetical, but not far from the mark)

Recently at my store we had a car that died in the parking lot. Changed plugs, wires, battery.... One of the OBD codes was knock sensor, changed it out and the car started and drove away. Did the Nissan with over 200k miles need the engine rebuilt? Wouldn't hurt. Did changing out a sensor fix the problem? Yes. So why is the sensor there? Oh right, to tell you that loud knocking noise means you need to fix the engine. For the record, the engine didn't knock, the sensor was just bad.

You see what I'm talking about here? Cars have many sensors that go bad and throw codes before there's actually an issue. Not everyone wants the best tech, back up monitors, lane change monitors, traction control, how hip is my beard monitors.

Please, for the love of cars make something nostalgic in more than just name. Make it bare bones and easy to work on. Touch screen GPS active... driver can bring their tablet if they want that. Make a drivers car. Make an old school mechanics car. Make something we can enjoy driving, physically driving, and not have to troubleshoot a dozen sensors to figure out why this here 03 dodge ram doesn't shift properly (yup, changed all those sensors, all that is left is replacing the transmission or the guage cluster, and why do I need to change a guage cluster for the transmission to shift properly?)

Do you see what I'm saying? More is not always better. Yes, safety is cool and crumple zones are good, but my car with ABS still slides off the road on slushy winter days so it's no better then a contolled foot on a non ABS car.

Bottom line, hand on stick, two feet on pedals. Remember why you love to drive. Strip it down to the basics and keep it simple. If you want to add the extras (launch contol and oh crap I can't dive, help me control this beast) that's up to you. But give us the option of old school or not cool.

Sincerly,

upper 30's car enthusiast who would rather drive a 60's anything then a 2k+ electronic nightmare

Pedrolif

Greasemonkey
Mar 28, 2016
New Hampshire
any and all criticism is welcome, as well as grammar nazis and people who hold similar beliefs and want to mass spam the automotive industry with the idea for a practical car. I don't like where the industry is headed. There should be an alternative to the "it drives itself" car. And what's wrong with doing the bare minimum when it comes to federal regulations?

ed1948

Royal Smart Person
Aug 6, 2016
Quinte West, Ontario
I couldn't agree with you more - I drive a fairly recent car. In the future I will be upgrading to something I actually understand - some sort of 90's GM K1500. I want something 'I' can actually work on and not be held hostage by the manufacturer. Sadly, most of the new technology is 'throw away' and' buy a new one' courtesy of the automotive manufacturing industry!

CaliWagon83

Royal Smart Person
Nov 12, 2017
Orange County, CA
To be perfectly honest, I think that ship has kind of already sailed. Also keep in mind that auto manufacturers are constrained by federal regulations (of which there are many!) that require certain technology and diagnostic equipment. That said, I think you have a valid point that cars could be made much more technically simple.

The problem is, the vast majority of car buyers want the "latest and greatest" whether they're shopping for a $14,000 or $140,000 car. From what you're describing, something like a Camaro, Challenger or Mustang, but even more simplified in terms of content and serviceability. Personally, I think you'd have the best luck with FCA. Of the "Big Three" they seem the most enthusiast-oriented. GM has already gone on-record that they're taking an unabashedly tech-forward approach, as well as Ford.

In terms of the technologies that they're not going to go backward on, either because of mandates, or consumer demand, are the following:
  • Anti-lock brakes
  • Traction/Stability Control
  • Drive-by-wire throttle
  • Airbags
  • Automatic Transmissions* (The market for manuals is just too small in a lot of cases)
  • Mobile Device Connectivity
Aside from that, you've probably got some room to make a case. Just my 2¢ worth.

• Agree
Reactions: 3 users

ed1948

Royal Smart Person
Aug 6, 2016
Quinte West, Ontario
There is no way a manufacturer will produce any product that appeals to 5% of the consumers.

• Agree
Reactions: 6 users

Pedrolif

Greasemonkey
Mar 28, 2016
New Hampshire
we actually sell a Bosch version of that at the store i work at, for about $100. always good to know what's going on with your car, just wish they either tell you more (which means more sensors....) instead of vague it might be this or give you full disclosure. Check this system, check this for resistance, etc.
Worst part is, even if you know what you're looking for, cars are not made simple anymore. Battery on an early 2000 Chrysler 300? It's in the fender. Change the light bulb on some new Cadillacs or Chevies? Take off the front clip. Why?

• Agree
Reactions: 1 user

CaliWagon83

Royal Smart Person
Nov 12, 2017
Orange County, CA
The Blue Driver actually gives a lot of info, as well as the ability to reset codes in a lot of cases. Not a full professional diagnostic tool, but pretty close.

CaliWagon83

Royal Smart Person
Nov 12, 2017
Orange County, CA
Probably the most straightforward vehicle you can buy currently (Although not cheap) is the Jeep Wrangler. Even at that, it's got a ton of electronics and sensors, but wrenchable if you have some level of mechanical skill and knowledge.

• Agree
Reactions: 1 users

clean8485

Comic Book Super Hero
Dec 18, 2005
Ontario, Canada
As Ed has already stated, I couldn't agree with you more. I miss the days of being able to fix vehicles with relative ease, and not a whole bunch of expensive tools, but as Cali has also pointed out, I think we're too late. Cars and trucks have progressed (maybe), to the point where they're just devices now. The manufacturers are brainwashing you that you need the latest and greatest (just like cell phones), and you don't need anything that lasts, or that you can maintain. Manufacturers are producing such a volume of new vehicles now, that they can't sell them all, and there are huge compounds where hundreds of new unsold vehicles will sit (you can check it out on google), until they're scrapped. They don't want you to keep a new vehicle more than about 3-5 years (or until the warranty expires).
I believe that the advent of the autonomous car is coming sooner that most of us like to think about, and that eventually, we probably won't be allowed to have or drive our own vehicles anymore. If it comes to that, for me, it will be a very sad day.

• Agree
Reactions: 2 users
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor