Torque! Rocket power vs LS power

Status
Not open for further replies.

87National

G-Body Guru
Apr 15, 2009
eastern SD
Your last paragraph is still a subtle old gen putdown
LOL.......no it wasn't. You are seriously that thin skinned? Any positive statement about the LS is a put down of SBC/BOP?

Again.....name the members and/or quote the posts that are trashing traditional SBC/BOP engines. Arrogant?.....Snoby?.....Self Important? Who are these mythical members and where are their horrific posts?

Last edited:
Oct 14, 2008
Melville,Saskatchewan
There was bashing on both sides in this forum for our choices, some by me toward the LS, at least one toward me and my current power plants in two of my vehicles. I still stand by my non VVT bone stock truck tune comment. I drove 4 defective ones? I am sorry I was too harsh about the motor behind it. The Holley ECM controlling that motor on the page one dyno test proves their potential untouched mechanically.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user

doood

Amateur Mechanic
Sep 24, 2020
The engines have torque management to save the transmissions. That’s why they’re gutless.
Does anybody have a relatively standard and still conservative method of changing this aspect of the stock tune? I don't hear the expected: " I changed these five tables in the 5.3L tune, and the engine woke up."

Clone TIE Pilot

Comic Book Super Hero
Aug 14, 2011
Galaxy far far away
This is exactly why the ECM in the G-bodies SUCKED. Because PROM. Not saying a computer whiz couldn't figure it out to some degree, but it's not a simple situation of hooking up an HP Tuners to an OBD1 and going to town. There was an effort years ago to try and get inside the PROMs by some electronic gurus. There was so many hurdles with it I think at some point that deal got shelved. Would be nice to have a shelf full of ECM PROMs that you could sort through, pick one, then up the performance on your fairly stock G-pig with CCC depending on your cam and other parameters.

I know lots of people would yip about it and just rip out the ECM controls, but some places don't allow you to rip out emissions controls and such. Like the LS tunes as far as adjusting to aftermarket equipment, it would be nice to just plug and play a particular PROM built to you specs at least. Or a PROM replacement that could actually be programmed. Limitations abound, but adjustability to any degree would have been nice. I mean, a carbed and cammed 455 running on an ECM? That could be fun AND smog legal at the same time. Who wouldn't vote for that?

Crane did make an adjustable ECM years ago, but they are rare now. For Chevy there is at least the ZZ4 PROM chips for 87+ ECMs, they are pretty hot. There is one guy on Youtube who installed voice command into his CCC system.

• Informative
Oct 14, 2008
Melville,Saskatchewan
I have heard of the Crane system and I wish there an easy plug in performance ECM for the H/O and 442. Of course the Monte SS could get the carb approved headers and Y pipe years back. The Olds manifolds crossover are horrible, too bad the FE3X exhaust wasn't factory or at least available at the parts counter.

Last edited:

64nailhead

Goat Herder
Dec 1, 2014
Upstate NY
1st - I skipped 5 pages. Too lazy to read them all - maybe. Sick of more of the same. But the Hellcat post got me.

I’ve ran against two Hellcats - one On the dyno and one on the track. Both times was when I had the 4.8 in Monte Alban. I destroyed both with a $250 motor and $400 of cam and springs with a $600 turbo. I laughed my *ss off at both guys. $50k against sub $10k and they were sent packin’

I try my damndest to not be vindictive, but Hellcat guys bring it out in me. I called the first one ‘slow as sh*t’ and he left😜😜

Ill leave this here to piss everyone off:)

View attachment 183918

• Haha
  • Winner
Reactions: 2 users
Oct 14, 2008
Melville,Saskatchewan
1st - I skipped 5 pages. Too lazy to read them all - maybe. Sick of more of the same. But the Hellcat post got me.

I’ve ran against two Hellcats - one On the dyno and one on the track. Both times was when I had the 4.8 in Monte Alban. I destroyed both with a $250 motor and $400 of cam and springs with a $600 turbo. I laughed my *ss off at both guys. $50k against sub $10k and they were sent packin’

I try my damndest to not be vindictive, but Hellcat guys bring it out in me. I called the first one ‘slow as sh*t’ and he left😜😜
Exactly why building my old sh*t ready for bear. There is serious competition out there, it needs to hold its own, 7,000 rpm, no problem, probably more like 8000 rpm. The new Edelbrock heads and Sequential EFI is in its future😎. At least before it is a outlawed, that day is coming unfortunately.

84 W40

G-Body Guru
Dec 9, 2009
I have heard of the Crane system and I wish there an easy plug in performance ECM for the H/O and 442. Of course the Monte SS could get the carb approved headers and Y pipe years back. The Olds manifolds crossover are horrible, too bad the FE3X exhaust wasn't factory or at least available at the parts counter.
I have two of these units with three remotes, two remotes in there original design and one that they made changes to so they can sell it to the public. The ones they sold to the public had alot of adjustment removed. Does it work, yes I have in my Hurst and noticed an improvement over the stock Vin 9 ecm after making adjustments. I can even lock up the converter in second and third gear. Can it be used on 455 olds, yup done it on a good friend of mine olds 461 we had to put all the stock emissions back on including carb and dizzy for it to work. Its to bad they stopped making them under 100, its not hard to put it back to its original design. I was talking to a few engineers at work about designing a screen to make adjustments instead of turning trim pots and they said it can be done. That was before covid hit but now there working from home so I need to wait next year when they come back to work to start it.
Picture below shows two remotes, one on top is what they sold to the public bottom is the original design.
The bottom remote has a three way switch to the left and bottom right has a trim pot.
Second picture explains the original design.
20210918_211414.jpg
20210918_211928.jpg

• Winner
Reactions: 2 users
Oct 14, 2008
Melville,Saskatchewan
This is the future my friends🤔

motorheadmike

Geezer
Nov 18, 2009
Saskatchewan, Truckistan

I must present you with quite the conundrum of emotions then. ;)

Reactions: 1 users
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor