Torque! Rocket power vs LS power

Status
Not open for further replies.

Clone TIE Pilot

Comic Book Super Hero
Aug 14, 2011
Galaxy far far away
I agree that mail-order canned tunes are normally sub-par. They're the limp-home mode of LS performance. This isn't to say the canned tunes aren't viable and not just fine out of the box so-to-speak. Sure, they can get you pretty close to optimum based on the parameters given to the tuner, but it's always best to be able to tweak and dial one in that little bit extra for that particular engine to nail it. It's really nuance at that point. It's like trying to fix someone else's problem on this forum long distance. Usually not enough data points to get it exact the first time.

Keep in mind that the newest G-body is over 30 years old. And the SBO technology the V8's had is nearly 60. And the proverbial pre-LT/LS platformed SBC is nearly 70. It's like having one of those Butabi brothers cell phones today (Night at the Roxbury movie reference).
Dynatac-phone.jpg

I'm pretty impressed with people that can build those engines to make lots of power while still understanding the limitations of the "old-tech". While the LS has its drawbacks as all engines do, pound for pound they pack a punch like no other as long as you know the keys to getting the power out of them. No matter how you try, you can't beat the EFI/DI systems on the newer engines compared with a Quadrajet. Sure, a Q-jet is a great carb when it's dialed in, but it's still a carb. And if you DO find an example, it's going to be an outlier. What may take you a weekend "dialing in" a Q-jet, you can do in a matter of minutes with the computer programs.

I'm not a fan of LS swaps, but I get it. It's hot-rodding. I've had my run of doing mods and hacking and cutting wires, etc., on cars I modified and tweaked. Color me unimpressed when someone tosses up another LS swap thread. (yawn) I just don't care. "But I get a gajillion miles per gallon....I run the quarter in 12 seconds....blah blah". Go back a couple of sentences...I just don't care. I didn't buy any of my cars for gas mileage, nor I could give 2 craps about 12 second quarters any more. BUT- the LS engines are more than capable, even with a mail-order tune. For a pig, my ZL1 handles extremely well and has enough power to get my jollies as is. While it's true GM left a lot of performance on the table with their "make everyone happy tunes", it's no different than what they always did. Tune for the masses. And *wink wink-nod* to the guys tweaking and pulling out all the power on these engines. Where do you think a lot of the performance information originates? GM tunes there engines in all sorts of variations during development, so they know what it takes. Leak out the right information to certain people and the power-hungry customers open up that GMPP catalog and start ordering!

I won't do a swap to any of my cars, but if you get wood over it, do it. I own LS engines, but they're in GMC's and Chevrolets because that's how they came. I'm nostalgic. I don't care. What I do find hilarious is that somehow an LS swap makes your car automatically worth more...that should be very scary. Especially if you got the engine for $50. The G-bodies I look at and would want to buy don't have LS associated with the car unless it was a Monte LS or something. I find it even funnier when some people have swapped ONE LS engine in their car and struggled with it for the longest time and now they're somehow considering themselves experts and start trashing old-tech. To those types, I say f**k off.

EFI tuning can take much longer than a few minutes or even a weekend. A LS ECM has thousands of tables for a tuner to go through. Its easy enough to just improve max top end power for good dyno results, but maximizing the entire powerband including idle and cold starts under different weather conditions is not so easy. It takes OEMs thousands of hours to develop the stock ECM tunes for that. Even the self learning EFI can take months to develop a decent tune. Either way, good engine tuning takes patience.

69hurstolds

Geezer
Supporting Member
Jan 2, 2006
The new stuff punches harder than the LS. The LT has a stronger block as well. There is a really good video on why the LT is better in nearly every way. Guys will go that direction as cores become available. I remember in 1997 taking Automotive Technology in College and reading about the new LS motor in the Corvette. That will be 25 years for that old technology next year. I know the Olds V8 time is long gone and after 45 years I can't find great running $100 Olds 350. It took 40 years, not a bad run.
But the "new" stuff won't be $50 junkyard gems until about 10 or so years from now when they too, are ubiquitous. Will gas even be affordable then? Who knows. And, by the time they are $50, it would be like putting an LS in an '03 Curved Dash since the G-bodies will be so old. I'm betting there will be LESS guys doing the LT engine swaps later on because electric motors are inherently better than the LTs. And the OEM's will probably lock you right out of any swapping.

LT's are not running around all over the place like LS's right now. Once you start seeing the LT memes, only THEN will it become one of those...and then the LS bashing will commence for real on that ancient technology. Remember back in '98-ish, LS1 swaps were SUPER rare. And super costly. Got a feeling the way things are going, you won't be able to legally do anymore 10 years from now that what you're doing today.

I still chuckle over the people that never quite understood the purpose of the OBD1 CCC system's O2 sensor, yet without at least one, their LS won't run for squat. One of these days, being able to work on and tune a CCC carburetor will be a lost art. And then my funky little CCC tool set will be worth millions! :)

Reactions: 1 users

ck80

Supporting Member
Feb 18, 2014
EFI tuning can take much longer than a few minutes or even a weekend. A LS ECM has thousands of tables for a tuner to go through. Its easy enough to just improve max top end power for good dyno results, but maximizing the entire powerband including idle and cold starts under different weather conditions is not so easy. It takes OEMs thousands of hours to develop the stock ECM tunes for that. Even the self learning EFI can take months to develop a decent tune. Either way, good engine tuning takes patience.
You also have to figure in the sunk upfront costs. The first tune takes a longish time. From there you can tweak that tune to account for how the subject vehicle differs from where the first one was, taking a lot less time. The trick is getting that first one right and out of the way.

Oct 14, 2008
Melville,Saskatchewan
It already is a lost art. I am glad to have expanded my knowledge of the Qjet. The CCC was very rare up here and actually gave few problems from what I saw in shops. So I could probably figure it out but it was basically a 2 year option up here. I am starting a new thread, since I have been branded a new GM and LS hater. Manufacturers need to be like a significant other, woow you with good looks, not break the bank to have around or get in the first place and leave you with great feeling after you take them out😉.

ck80

Supporting Member
Feb 18, 2014
It already is a lost art. I am glad to have expanded my knowledge of the Qjet. The CCC was very rare up here and actually gave few problems from what I saw in shops. So I could probably figure it out but it was basically a 2 year option up here. I am starting a new thread, since I have been branded a new GM and LS hater. Manufacturers need to be like a significant other, woow you with good looks, not break the bank to have around or get in the first place and leave you with great feeling after you take them out😉.
CCC had its growing pains. While they were in there with all the rudimentary controls they had they tried to improve longstanding complaints such as warm up periods.

The EFE system was something basically nobody knew was there unless to took a top apart. Problem is, by its nature the metal grids would melt and disappear in the air passage. The computer would 'activate' and manage as if the elements were heating, but in the real world there was empty space with no effects. Just one example of this that as the cars aged wasn't understood, the resulting attitude was ugg carb, Rochesters suck blah blah blah.

motorheadmike

Geezer
Nov 18, 2009
Saskatchewan, Truckistan
EFI tuning can take much longer than a few minutes or even a weekend. A LS ECM has thousands of tables for a tuner to go through. Its easy enough to just improve max top end power for good dyno results, but maximizing the entire powerband including idle and cold starts under different weather conditions is not so easy. It takes OEMs thousands of hours to develop the stock ECM tunes for that. Even the self learning EFI can take months to develop a decent tune.

Off the base map I made for my Monte I think I had it dialed in after about 6 street pulls. A few off the meth, and few more once the meth injection was added. It couldn't have been but a couple of 45 minute sessions.

I'd never done a Gen 3 turbo LS before either. Car started and ran, boosted and idled for the first time in months yesterday like nothing ever happened.

In so many words: the only reason you cannot tune EFI quickly, efficiently, and effectively is you being f*cking incompetent.

I am glad I don't suffer from that affliction.

Reactions: 1 users
Oct 14, 2008
Melville,Saskatchewan
CCC had its growing pains. While they were in there with all the rudimentary controls they had they tried to improve longstanding complaints such as warm up periods.

The EFE system was something basically nobody knew was there unless to took a top apart. Problem is, by its nature the metal grids would melt and disappear in the air passage. The computer would 'activate' and manage as if the elements were heating, but in the real world there was empty space with no effects. Just one example of this that as the cars aged wasn't understood, the resulting attitude was ugg carb, Rochesters suck blah blah blah.
This why little things like a heated O2, which is necessary when adding headers is a good mod for these, bring on the closed loop. Due to the limited parameters in open loop, TBI run shitty on anything over stock, even a 204/214 cam upsets it. The TBI Olds 350 I ran definitely needed the tables reworked in open loop, -15 and below sucked. That was going to be it's next mod, a fully tunable ECM.

Reactions: 1 user

69hurstolds

Geezer
Supporting Member
Jan 2, 2006
That was going to be it's next mod, a fully tunable ECM.
This is exactly why the ECM in the G-bodies SUCKED. Because PROM. Not saying a computer whiz couldn't figure it out to some degree, but it's not a simple situation of hooking up an HP Tuners to an OBD1 and going to town. There was an effort years ago to try and get inside the PROMs by some electronic gurus. There was so many hurdles with it I think at some point that deal got shelved. Would be nice to have a shelf full of ECM PROMs that you could sort through, pick one, then up the performance on your fairly stock G-pig with CCC depending on your cam and other parameters.

I know lots of people would yip about it and just rip out the ECM controls, but some places don't allow you to rip out emissions controls and such. Like the LS tunes as far as adjusting to aftermarket equipment, it would be nice to just plug and play a particular PROM built to you specs at least. Or a PROM replacement that could actually be programmed. Limitations abound, but adjustability to any degree would have been nice. I mean, a carbed and cammed 455 running on an ECM? That could be fun AND smog legal at the same time. Who wouldn't vote for that?

Northernregal

Sloppy McRodbender
Oct 24, 2017
Red Deer, Northern Montana territory
Off the base map I made for my Monte I think I had it dialed in after about 6 street pulls. A few off the meth, and few more once the meth injection was added. It couldn't have been but a couple of 45 minute sessions.

I'd never done a Gen 3 turbo LS before either. Car started and ran, boosted and idled for the first time in months yesterday like nothing ever happened.

In so many words: the only reason you cannot tune EFI quickly, efficiently, and effectively is you being f*cking incompetent.

I am glad I don't suffer from that affliction.
Star Wars Hug GIF

• Haha
Reactions: 1 user
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor