Torque! Rocket power vs LS power

Status
Not open for further replies.

L92 OLDS

Comic Book Super Hero
Mar 30, 2012
West Michigan
Specifically which gbforum member? I haven't seen it and I'm on here almost every day.
I haven’t seen it either. Any talk about how LS is better is usually the repercussion of a butt hurt critic. Some of these anti LS zealots have been banned from the forum.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user

Clone TIE Pilot

Comic Book Super Hero
Aug 14, 2011
Galaxy far far away
Nope, gonna have to stick with jar jar binks. He came around in the very late 1990s.... and ls motors came around the, you guessed it, very late 1990s. Not someone you first heard of just a couple years ago. (Although if you're trying to say the ls is girly?)

The parallels all remain. Luke - the all around hero, sometimes a bit on the evil side. Han, the cool somewhat macho cars (recall macho t/a?) Chewy, the somewhat rough and tumble but you've got to know how to understand putting together motor. Leah. The higher end more luxury oriented lineup motor. Lando, the kind of does its own thing motor.

Then you've got jar-jar, speaks for itself as the perfect parallel for the ls-motor. Annoying? Frustrating? Costs you in ways and amounts you never expected possible? Sometimes and in strange ways occasionally useful but mostly you wish it was replaced with something better? Check, check, check and check! Some fans do like him, but a massive swath detest? Perfect slotting!

Its because Rose is generally considered a worse character than Jar-Jar since she doesn't evrn serve the plot. Maybe Rose is a better fit to represent the Gen 5s?

Last edited:

ck80

Supporting Member
Feb 18, 2014
I haven’t seen it either. Any talk about how LS is better is usually the repercussion of a butt hurt critic. Some of these anti LS zealots have been banned from the forum.
Said bans having to do with offending sensibilities of the site owner and not their distaste of ls platforms...

• Agree
Reactions: 2 users

Clone TIE Pilot

Comic Book Super Hero
Aug 14, 2011
Galaxy far far away
Ah.....so the fact the memes exist prove your point? I could go out and find a "show me where the ls swap hurt you" meme......but again.....I care so little about yours or anyone else's engine preference that I'm not going to waste my time.

Notice a pattern in this thread yet? On one hand you've got around 3 members relentlessly bashing the LS......while the other side is basically saying "the SBC, BOP platforms were pretty solid but technological advancement has brought us something better." Tell us again how the LS members are obnoxious, self important.....etc.?

So why are you still wasting your time and keep replying when you say are not going to waste your time despite claiming that you care so little?

I bash butthurt or ignorant LS fanboys who bash older tech. As I said before, not all LS guys are fanboys and act this way. Also I am the first guy to tell you that G bodies are outdated granny mobiles that need bracing and reinforcement to withstand power above 400 hp. That is besides required brake and suspension improvements for high HP.

If only I bothered to bookmark old gen bashing posts here but I "didn't waste my time" doing so.

Your last paragraph is still a subtle old gen putdown. Notice a pattern here? Anyime a member mentions a virtue of the LS engine they must also put down old tech as well, just that your case was reverse order. Old gen motors were good BUT they are old and outdated which means LS are better because they are less old.

Oct 14, 2008
Melville,Saskatchewan
The Gen 5 are right from the factory IMHO. Supposedly there have been issues with the 8 speed, I could see why, they hammer hard. I haven't drove that 6.2, I would know I would want one. I don't want the price tag that a vehicle with that one brings. I They pull like a freight train in comparison to the LS trucks. GM had to up their game, the EcoBoost, even the 2013 I drove at work and riding in my Daughter's boyfriend 2013, they hammer hard where a truck should, they ran high 14's from the get go. They are quick but the work truck needed the timing chain replaced under warranty. Motorweek tested a brand new Suburban with the 6.2 10 speed. Think of the weight of that pig, it runs a 14.7 in the 1/4! My Boss has one, he drives like a maniac. That is the same as my GT Challenger, actually .1 faster! No non VVT LS truck is anywhere close to that bone stock, at least none I have driven. If I was in the market for a used truck, I would gladly pay 10K extra for the Gen 5 motor, all else being equal, helps the 2014 to 2019 body is way better than the 2013. Another huge improvement on the Gen 5 is MPG. The LS stock are better than old school stock but only marginal. I think we pulled 27 average Imperial mpg with my BIL 2017 5.3 8 speed. We drove it like we owned it. Guys claim the 6.2 is even more efficient, almost no loss in mpg for way more power. The new body style, no comment. I judge vehicles as they drive, not what hopeful manufacturers say.

Rktpwrd

Builder of Cool Shjt
Supporting Member
Feb 2, 2015
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
EB0E820E-781C-430F-9EF3-9530DC0FD22B.gif

• Haha
Reactions: 4 users

69hurstolds

Geezer
Supporting Member
Jan 2, 2006
I agree that mail-order canned tunes are normally sub-par. They're the limp-home mode of LS performance. This isn't to say the canned tunes aren't viable and not just fine out of the box so-to-speak. Sure, they can get you pretty close to optimum based on the parameters given to the tuner, but it's always best to be able to tweak and dial one in that little bit extra for that particular engine to nail it. It's really nuance at that point. It's like trying to fix someone else's problem on this forum long distance. Usually not enough data points to get it exact the first time.

Keep in mind that the newest G-body is over 30 years old. And the SBO technology the V8's had is nearly 60. And the proverbial pre-LT/LS platformed SBC is nearly 70. It's like having one of those Butabi brothers cell phones today (Night at the Roxbury movie reference).
Dynatac-phone.jpg

I'm pretty impressed with people that can build those engines to make lots of power while still understanding the limitations of the "old-tech". While the LS has its drawbacks as all engines do, pound for pound they pack a punch like no other as long as you know the keys to getting the power out of them. No matter how you try, you can't beat the EFI/DI systems on the newer engines compared with a Quadrajet. Sure, a Q-jet is a great carb when it's dialed in, but it's still a carb. And if you DO find an example, it's going to be an outlier. What may take you a weekend "dialing in" a Q-jet, you can do in a matter of minutes with the computer programs.

I'm not a fan of LS swaps, but I get it. It's hot-rodding. I've had my run of doing mods and hacking and cutting wires, etc., on cars I modified and tweaked. Color me unimpressed when someone tosses up another LS swap thread. (yawn) I just don't care. "But I get a gajillion miles per gallon....I run the quarter in 12 seconds....blah blah". Go back a couple of sentences...I just don't care. I didn't buy any of my cars for gas mileage, nor I could give 2 craps about 12 second quarters any more. BUT- the LS engines are more than capable, even with a mail-order tune. For a pig, my ZL1 handles extremely well and has enough power to get my jollies as is. While it's true GM left a lot of performance on the table with their "make everyone happy tunes", it's no different than what they always did. Tune for the masses. And *wink wink-nod* to the guys tweaking and pulling out all the power on these engines. Where do you think a lot of the performance information originates? GM tunes there engines in all sorts of variations during development, so they know what it takes. Leak out the right information to certain people and the power-hungry customers open up that GMPP catalog and start ordering!

I won't do a swap to any of my cars, but if you get wood over it, do it. I own LS engines, but they're in GMC's and Chevrolets because that's how they came. I'm nostalgic. I don't care. What I do find hilarious is that somehow an LS swap makes your car automatically worth more...that should be very scary. Especially if you got the engine for $50. The G-bodies I look at and would want to buy don't have LS associated with the car unless it was a Monte LS or something. I find it even funnier when some people have swapped ONE LS engine in their car and struggled with it for the longest time and now they're somehow considering themselves experts and start trashing old-tech. To those types, I say f**k off.

Reactions: 3 users

ck80

Supporting Member
Feb 18, 2014
I agree that mail-order canned tunes are normally sub-par. They're the limp-home mode of LS performance. This isn't to say the canned tunes aren't viable and not just fine out of the box so-to-speak. Sure, they can get you pretty close to optimum based on the parameters given to the tuner, but it's always best to be able to tweak and dial one in that little bit extra for that particular engine to nail it. It's really nuance at that point. It's like trying to fix someone else's problem on this forum long distance. Usually not enough data points to get it exact the first time.

Keep in mind that the newest G-body is over 30 years old. And the SBO technology the V8's had is nearly 60. And the proverbial pre-LT/LS platformed SBC is nearly 70. It's like having one of those Butabi brothers cell phones today (Night at the Roxbury movie reference).
Dynatac-phone.jpg

I'm pretty impressed with people that can build those engines to make lots of power while still understanding the limitations of the "old-tech". While the LS has its drawbacks as all engines do, pound for pound they pack a punch like no other as long as you know the keys to getting the power out of them. No matter how you try, you can't beat the EFI/DI systems on the newer engines compared with a Quadrajet. Sure, a Q-jet is a great carb when it's dialed in, but it's still a carb. And if you DO find an example, it's going to be an outlier. What may take you a weekend "dialing in" a Q-jet, you can do in a matter of minutes with the computer programs.

I'm not a fan of LS swaps, but I get it. It's hot-rodding. I've had my run of doing mods and hacking and cutting wires, etc., on cars I modified and tweaked. Color me unimpressed when someone tosses up another LS swap thread. (yawn) I just don't care. "But I get a gajillion miles per gallon....I run the quarter in 12 seconds....blah blah". Go back a couple of sentences...I just don't care. I didn't buy any of my cars for gas mileage, nor I could give 2 craps about 12 second quarters any more. BUT- the LS engines are more than capable, even with a mail-order tune. For a pig, my ZL1 handles extremely well and has enough power to get my jollies as is. While it's true GM left a lot of performance on the table with their "make everyone happy tunes", it's no different than what they always did. Tune for the masses. And *wink wink-nod* to the guys tweaking and pulling out all the power on these engines. Where do you think a lot of the performance information originates? GM tunes there engines in all sorts of variations during development, so they know what it takes. Leak out the right information to certain people and the power-hungry customers open up that GMPP catalog and start ordering!

I won't do a swap to any of my cars, but if you get wood over it, do it. I own LS engines, but they're in GMC's and Chevrolets because that's how they came. I'm nostalgic. I don't care. What I do find hilarious is that somehow an LS swap makes your car automatically worth more...that should be very scary. Especially if you got the engine for $50. The G-bodies I look at and would want to buy don't have LS associated with the car unless it was a Monte LS or something. I find it even funnier when some people have swapped ONE LS engine in their car and struggled with it for the longest time and now they're somehow considering themselves experts and start trashing old-tech. To those types, I say f**k off.
Then again, even those phones have their advantages, you know, no GPS to track you and all... :banana:

Reactions: 1 user
Oct 14, 2008
Melville,Saskatchewan
The new stuff punches harder than the LS. The LT has a stronger block as well. There is a really good video on why the LT is better in nearly every way. Guys will go that direction as cores become available. I remember in 1997 taking Automotive Technology in College and reading about the new LS motor in the Corvette. That will be 25 years for that old technology next year. I know the Olds V8 time is long gone and after 45 years I can't find great running $100 Olds 350. It took 40 years, not a bad run.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor