Total cost of ownership

Status
Not open for further replies.

Matthew Goeke

G-Body Guru
Oct 15, 2016
Is haggard garage an internet show? Have you learned the hard way what "sponsored content" is, yet?

MS flight Simulator is just like flying a plane, too. Video games don't have potholes, expansion joints, gravel, grooved pavement, etc, all of which can kill you or just bend your 240 SX beyond repair in about 2 seconds. Fomula D guys spend about $50K on their cars (for the beat up crap boxes not the cool ones - those are $200K and about $3K -$5K for repairs and tires every weekend. Just the sport any high school kid with no money that has never driven a RWD car should do great at.

Drifting is like gas monkey garage. It looks real, but it really isn't. Those aren't beat up street cars, they are chromoly tube frame race cars made to look like beat-up street cars, so 1) fanboys will think they can do it too with their beat up street car and 2) when they beat the factory Dodge driver in the Viper competition coupe they can pretend like the did it in a beat up street car. LOL.

You've seen every Ken Block video, right? When the drone or Helicopter pans back and you see 900 tire tracks attempting the same trick over and over and over and over for one good take? One bad take on the street and you write your car off, and your parents insurance doubles or triples.

Follow your dreams and pursue your passions, but forget the idea of a 240SX as daily driver/drift missile. That will never happen on a high school/college kids budget. What you will end up with on a high school kid's budget is an undriveable POS that somebody couldn't afford to fix any more after bouncing it off one too many curbs..
What you said at the end there is terrible, you act like I won't have this car for years, and I don't think you know you don't need more than 100 hp to drift Japanese cars. Plus you don't even know what a drift missile is so just stop. You are telling me not to follow my dreams which is dumb because it's actually very attainable. I don't think there are curbs at the gateway motor sports park either so your comment is invalid.

pagrunt

Geezer
Sep 14, 2014
Elderton, Pa
To;dr haggard is not sponsored by anything but YouTube ads. Plus asset to corsa does have all of that stuff! You have caster toe camber sway bar firmness, kingpin adjustment, track grip, different types of tires and a lot of other things. Video games today are very different than they used to be. If you were near I would let you try out my racing wheel on asset to but there's no real way to prove it. Once I get a 240 I'll come back and tell you how it compares.
I think you're missing the point we all are trying to explain about computer vs. real. A few of our fellow members have been & are race drivers. They have real driving knowledge on how the mechanics of the automobile reacts on a track. They're trying to help you to understand that what you can do on a PC/PS4/XBox is not & will not be the same as sitting in a race seat feeling the vibration of the running machine going over asphalt covered with imperfections. No mater how much is spent on equiptment to enhance the driving experiance in a video game/simulator will not match what is felt by a real drive. The first time on the road & you have an unexpected event, it will change your thought (like spin out on black ice on the hi-way, trying to keep that front pointing in the right direction.) Try a driving school that teaches drifting or just basic racing skills and ask them how many pros came up on computer driving.

• Agree
Reactions: 1 users

Matthew Goeke

G-Body Guru
Oct 15, 2016
I think you're missing the point we all are trying to explain about computer vs. real. A few of our fellow members have been & are race drivers. They have real driving knowledge on how the mechanics of the automobile reacts on a track. They're trying to help you to understand that what you can do on a PC/PS4/XBox is not & will not be the same as sitting in a race seat feeling the vibration of the running machine going over asphalt covered with imperfections. No mater how much is spent on equiptment to enhance the driving experiance in a video game/simulator will not match what is felt by a real drive. The first time on the road & you have an unexpected event, it will change your thought (like spin out on black ice on the hi-way, trying to keep that front pointing in the right direction.) Try a driving school that teaches drifting or just basic racing skills and ask them how many pros came up on computer driving.
I agree, you guys just want to help be out , besides the guy the commented before, but yes I am going to practice in a parking lot before I do anything dumb, I am not going to street drift either until I go to a few drift events. The dude before me was saying you need 50k to have a drift car, but you really can use any stock rwd manual car, literally anything because I have a welder to weld the diff.

pagrunt

Geezer
Sep 14, 2014
Elderton, Pa
I'll disagree. I have sold parts to people who was thinking like that. For safety & durability, nothing is cheap, stock can't hold up. I wouldn't try anything that is an agressive in nature in a stock car, that is why there is SEMA & and a aftermarket devoted to safety for our hobby. Listen to experiance, alittle more from those with race experiance. And you can not really use any stock RWD manual car, you should not.

• Agree
Reactions: 1 user

Matthew Goeke

G-Body Guru
Oct 15, 2016
I'll disagree. I have sold parts to people who was thinking like that. For safety & durability, nothing is cheap, stock can't hold up. I wouldn't try anything that is an agressive in nature in a stock car, that is why there is SEMA & and a aftermarket devoted to safety for our hobby. Listen to experiance, alittle more from those with race experiance. And you can not really use any stock RWD manual car, you should not.
Now I don't know if I should listen to you guys that like grip or the forum zilvia that specialize in 240s and drifting.

pagrunt

Geezer
Sep 14, 2014
Elderton, Pa
That is up to you. As long as you're willing to listen to everyones input with out hurt feelings, we all will help if you want it. If not, then try the other guys to see what happens.

Matthew Goeke

G-Body Guru
Oct 15, 2016
That is up to you. As long as you're willing to listen to everyones input with out hurt feelings, we all will help if you want it. If not, then try the other guys to see what happens.
NO offense to you but this forum has a lot of older people that have never owned any cheap rwd Japanese cars from the 90s and drifting is so new I'm pretty sure the guy that created formula drift did so when he was in his 20s. I wrote a whole 6 page senior paper on this topic last semester so I do know a whole lot.

pagrunt

Geezer
Sep 14, 2014
Elderton, Pa
NO offense to you but this forum has a lot of older people that have never owned any cheap rwd Japanese cars from the 90s and drifting is so new I'm pretty sure the guy that created formula drift did so when he was in his 20s. I wrote a whole 6 page senior paper on this topic last semester so I do know a whole lot.
Please don't judge the members that way. We all have owned may brands & been involved in different parts of the hobby. The ages vary, the experiance vary.
And I'm going to tap out on this thread.

• Agree

UNGN

Comic Book Super Hero
Sep 6, 2016
Southlake, TX
What you said at the end there is terrible, you act like I won't have this car for years, and I don't think you know you don't need more than 100 hp to drift Japanese cars. Plus you don't even know what a drift missile is so just stop. You are telling me not to follow my dreams which is dumb because it's actually very attainable. I don't think there are curbs at the gateway motor sports park either so your comment is invalid.

You are right I don't know anthing about drifting 100 hp japanese cars

Oh wait, I forgot I have two miatas that I autocross. a 91' 1.6L with a 4:30:1 viscous LSD and a 90 with a 1.8L conversion and 4.30:1 Tytpe II Torsen, Trying to drift them absolutely sucks. The wheelbase is too short and they snap too easily and they don't have enough HP to pull them selves out of a hole when you need it. I've changed the clutches multiple times and $200 each time (cheaping out to the max) and it sucks.

I guess I could take off the 225/45 Rival S's and 15X8's and bolt the 14X6 Daisies and 185 tires back on and pretend I'm going fast because my tires are spinning, but that won't solve the short wheel base snapping problem.

Now my 2500 Yukon XL or my Diesel Ram. Those b*tches will drift.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor