Total cost of ownership

Status
Not open for further replies.

Injectedcutty

G body LS mafia
Nov 24, 2014
Louisville, KY
When I was a kid, that's all there was...FWD cars were pretty new to the market, and no way was I getting a new car...

I remember one key moment when I was 17..hydroplaned in a turn, and 'til this day I still can't believe I had the presence of mind to turn the wheels straight before I hit the curb. Didn't even bend a rim! I do agree that donuts in a snowy parking lot can be construed as 'Driver's Ed'...
It might have been misunderstood the way i typed it....i didn't do controlled slides on snow in a lot. I did it on highways at 3-4am when nobody else was out. However, when i had my permit it was through the winter and my parents wanted me to know how to handle all situations. My mom being from chicago, helped a ton because she can drive better than most in poor conditions!

The main thing is for the OP to take his time learning rwd cars...don't just hammer down and expect to not break something!

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
When I was a kid, that's all there was...FWD cars were pretty new to the market, and no way was I getting a new car...

I remember one key moment when I was 17..hydroplaned in a turn, and 'til this day I still can't believe I had the presence of mind to turn the wheels straight before I hit the curb. Didn't even bend a rim! I do agree that donuts in a snowy parking lot can be construed as 'Driver's Ed'...

That reminds me of my son when he hit ice in a slow turn on a city street. I had taken him out to the parking lot to get the feel of a car in a slide so he had some experience in my 83 Cutlass. He came home with the donut on the right front due to that ice patch. He hit the curb and popped the snow tire off and slid into a tree which creased the fender a bit. He told me that he tried everything, slipped it into neutral and tried to steer out of it but nothing worked. He said he finally understood that sh*t can happen so fast and when your not expecting it so you always have to expect the unexpected. He's had an accident free life so far since then. Touch wood...:)

UNGN

Comic Book Super Hero
Sep 6, 2016
Southlake, TX
Watch these And tell me what you think, actually watch the whole thing before you comment. http://www.assettocorsa.net/forum/index.php?threads/assetto-corsa-drift-review.37047/

My comment is these people have zero idea how the world really works.

When my son was drifting the Mustang (a real car, not a video game) and he tries the "Clutch kick"... SO I say "what the **** are you ****ing doing?" He says "a clutch kick". So I say "Do you have any ****ing idea how much a ****ing 5.0 Clutch costs? or how badly a "Clutch kick" ****'s one up?" "uhhhh no?" That was the last "clutch kick" he'll be doing.

Reactions: 1 users

pagrunt

Geezer
Sep 14, 2014
Elderton, Pa
Watch these And tell me what you think, actually watch the whole thing before you comment. http://www.assettocorsa.net/forum/index.php?threads/assetto-corsa-drift-review.37047/
Watched. Still from experiance from doing the interactive video simulation & the real deal, the simulation doesn't come close. But my experiance wasn't with driving. For you drifting for real go with the "crawl, walk, run" method of learning in the car & learn from the knowledge of those who are trying to help you here.

Matthew Goeke

G-Body Guru
Oct 15, 2016
My comment is these people have zero idea how the world really works.

When my son was drifting the Mustang (a real car, not a video game) and he tries the "Clutch kick"... SO I say "what the **** are you ****ing doing?" He says "a clutch kick". So I say "Do you have any ****ing idea how much a ****ing 5.0 Clutch costs? or how badly a "Clutch kick" ****'s one up?" "uhhhh no?" That was the last "clutch kick" he'll be doing.
yea well if youve seen haggard garage they always are playing assetto corsa, plus they have like 10 cars overall that they drift on the road, and they say it is the closest to drifting you can get in your house

Matthew Goeke

G-Body Guru
Oct 15, 2016
Watched. Still from experiance from doing the interactive video simulation & the real deal, the simulation doesn't come close. But my experiance wasn't with driving. For you drifting for real go with the "crawl, walk, run" method of learning in the car & learn from the knowledge of those who are trying to help you here.
yea i feel you man, i just want to point out that i learned all of my driving skills from these games, i learned at which speeds you should turn at, and by playing euro truck simulator i learned how to park amazingly. also on my drivers test i got a perfect score which apparently was the old lady that took me on the tests 3rd in her life.

Matthew Goeke

G-Body Guru
Oct 15, 2016
To end all of the debate basically ive been wanting a 240sx since i was 13. there is literally nothing that will stop me from getting one. i think street drifting is dumb, but im only going to do after i get used to my car in a lot. and for those of you who are worried i daily a 2005 mazda 6 so i wont really be driving the 240 much unless i am at the gateway racetrack.

UNGN

Comic Book Super Hero
Sep 6, 2016
Southlake, TX
yea well if youve seen haggard garage they always are playing assetto corsa, plus they have like 10 cars overall that they drift on the road, and they say it is the closest to drifting you can get in your house

Is haggard garage an internet show? Have you learned the hard way what "sponsored content" is, yet?

MS flight Simulator is just like flying a plane, too. Video games don't have potholes, expansion joints, gravel, grooved pavement, etc, all of which can kill you or just bend your 240 SX beyond repair in about 2 seconds. Fomula D guys spend about $50K on their cars (for the beat up crap boxes not the cool ones - those are $200K and about $3K -$5K for repairs and tires every weekend. Just the sport any high school kid with no money that has never driven a RWD car should do great at.

Drifting is like gas monkey garage. It looks real, but it really isn't. Those aren't beat up street cars, they are chromoly tube frame race cars made to look like beat-up street cars, so 1) fanboys will think they can do it too with their beat up street car and 2) when they beat the factory Dodge driver in the Viper competition coupe they can pretend like the did it in a beat up street car. LOL.

You've seen every Ken Block video, right? When the drone or Helicopter pans back and you see 900 tire tracks attempting the same trick over and over and over and over for one good take? One bad take on the street and you write your car off, and your parents insurance doubles or triples.

Follow your dreams and pursue your passions, but forget the idea of a 240SX as daily driver/drift missile. That will never happen on a high school/college kids budget. What you will end up with on a high school kid's budget is an undriveable POS that somebody couldn't afford to fix any more after bouncing it off one too many curbs..

• Agree
Reactions: 1 users

Matthew Goeke

G-Body Guru
Oct 15, 2016
Is haggard garage an internet show? Have you learned the hard way what "sponsored content" is, yet?

MS flight Simulator is just like flying a plane, too. Video games don't have potholes, expansion joints, gravel, grooved pavement, etc, all of which can kill you or just bend your 240 SX beyond repair in about 2 seconds. Fomula D guys spend about $50K on their cars (for the beat up crap boxes not the cool ones - those are $200K and about $3K -$5K for repairs and tires every weekend. Just the sport any high school kid with no money that has never driven a RWD car should do great at.

Drifting is like gas monkey garage. It looks real, but it really isn't. Those aren't beat up street cars, they are chromoly tube frame race cars made to look like beat-up street cars, so 1) fanboys will think they can do it too with their beat up street car and 2) when they beat the factory Dodge driver in the Viper competition coupe they can pretend like the did it in a beat up street car. LOL.

You've seen every Ken Block video, right? When the drone or Helicopter pans back and you see 900 tire tracks attempting the same trick over and over and over and over for one good take? One bad take on the street and you write your car off, and your parents insurance doubles or triples.

Follow your dreams and pursue your passions, but forget the idea of a 240SX as daily driver/drift missile. That will never happen on a high school/college kids budget. What you will end up with on a high school kid's budget is an undriveable POS that somebody couldn't afford to fix any more after bouncing it off one too many curbs..
To;dr haggard is not sponsored by anything but YouTube ads. Plus asset to corsa does have all of that stuff! You have caster toe camber sway bar firmness, kingpin adjustment, track grip, different types of tires and a lot of other things. Video games today are very different than they used to be. If you were near I would let you try out my racing wheel on asset to but there's no real way to prove it. Once I get a 240 I'll come back and tell you how it compares.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor