Towing a trailer with no plates

Status
Not open for further replies.

varns1985442

Apprentice
Jul 1, 2010
SD
81cutlass said:
I dont understand why anybody would licence a trailer. Or why the government would care

You have to lisence a trailer for the same reason as a car. I lisence my car and truck every year and maybe put 2000 miles on them. Seems like a rip off to me one person lisencing 4 vehicles $200 a year. I think i would check into temporary plates if your worried about it but if not just go whats the worst that would happen get pulled over. Actually the worst that could happen is you get stopped and that guy doesnt give you reimbursment money.

HurstOlds

Master Mechanic
Sep 21, 2007
Illinois
I think the worst that could happen is he could get in an accident with the unlicensed trailor. Even worse, get in a freak fatality with a trailor that's not licensed to be on the road.

What do you think the consequences would be for something like that?

My vote is to get some temp tags or do whatever is legal. It's not your trailor, it's your neck on the line, and push comes to shove this guy will just say he told you to tow it legally to him (Or he can say trailor was stolen?). If you're towing it with an insured vehicle (more than basic coverage), I would look into insuring the trailor or see what needs to be done for the short trip (you might already be covered with your existing insurance).

What happens if the trailor gets a blowout, flips itself and your vehicle over and totals your car/truck? Trailor falls off the vehicle goes through a car behind you windshield....

If it was your own trailor that's one thing, but that's too many what ifs.....you're already concerned about it enough to ask around about it

81cutlass

Comic Book Super Hero
Feb 16, 2009
Western MN
varns1985442 said:
81cutlass said:
I dont understand why anybody would licence a trailer. Or why the government would care

You have to lisence a trailer for the same reason as a car.

Well, yeah, its a fund source for the state. But the less the state DMV or whatever knows, the better. :lol: But really, we are kinda lucky in MN as far as trailer and regestration laws. No inspection, no emmisions, nothing. Just show the person at the office the title and hand them $100 and walk out with plates and tabs.

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
why not head to your motor vehicles office and tell them what you need to do...governments are all about money so I'm sure they'll have something to to sell you to make it legal...

jrm81bu

Comic Book Super Hero
Jul 9, 2008
Antwerp, OH
pontiacgp said:
why not head to your motor vehicles office and tell them what you need to do...governments are all about money so I'm sure they'll have something to to sell you to make it legal...

That would be a great idea, except for the dumbasses at the BMV don't know anything(read my earlier post if you didn't). "semi trailers don't have brakes" ridiculous!
And as far as insurance goes, we have seperate insurance on the car trailer.

jrm81bu

Comic Book Super Hero
Jul 9, 2008
Antwerp, OH
pontiacgp said:
I did read your post but I didn't realize your both in the same state.. :oops:

Lol, Some might say I have a negative outlook, but i'm willing to bet there is still idiots in the other states too, lol. In reality though it was just my local Bmv that told me that. But if they don't know the rules, who does?!

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
there are idiots in every department and everywhere...you can ask the same question to 10 of them and get 10 different answers and all of them wrong.... :lol:

Oct 8, 2010
Please go to www.dangeroustrailers.org

and I'll get right to the point and be on key..see this video..
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oM1I-tDixzo

see how many children have been killed by a quote in this forum...

Well in Virginia...they will pull you over...and fine you!!!! Shame on you...

Man I wouldnt even give it a second thought.I've dragged junk through several states and cities with old junk trailers that truth be known wasnt even road worthy.A cop is not going to be out with a mission looking for small trailers without plates, if you got 10,000 lbs of loose junk blowing all over the road that might be a different story.If you did get pulled over its probably consider an infraction, a trailer doesnt have a title or mco unless its a over the road type for semis since they are used in commercial uses.

dan2286

Royal Smart Person
Mar 25, 2008
Cleveland, Ohio
I went and picked it up and I will not need to tow it. It is a fold up utility trailer and it will fit in the bed of the truck. This thing is way to light anyways to be taking on a 500 mile trip. Just driving it home, it was bouncing all over the place. By the time I would have made it there, it would have rattled apart.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor