Towing a trailer with no plates

Status
Not open for further replies.

dan2286

Royal Smart Person
Mar 25, 2008
Cleveland, Ohio
I am going to be delivering a brand new utility trailer from Cleveland to Connecticut. I am really not sure what to do about it having no plates. Pretty much the guy bought it online from a Sears outlet store in Cleveland and needs to get it back to his house in Connecticut. Ohio requires plates to be on trailers and his state does not. My question is what is the worse that can happen if I get pulled over for not having plates on a trailer in Ohio and any other state I drive through that requires plates? The guy said he will reimburse me for any tickets I might get, but I am worried about them taking the trailer or something. I will have a receipt of it and a copy of the owners license.

beermonkey9417

Royal Smart Person
Apr 8, 2007
des plaines, il
id say call the non emergency # for the local state police and ask. and be anonomous(sp?)

81cutlass

Comic Book Super Hero
Feb 16, 2009
Western MN
I dont understand why anybody would licence a trailer. Or why the government would care. Its a car trailer. If you are making money off the trailer as a job, yeah, it should be liscenced. Why should the government care if you have a trailer? But if your pulling a trailer as a once in a while thing, it should be fine. My cutlass has been pulled around hundreds of miles before I got it running on an unlicensed trailer and havn't got ticketed. Of course this is rural MN and the trailer wasnt taken through large citites, but I wouldnt worry. And yes, MN does require trailers to be licensed.

Simple terms, dont worry. You should be fine.

username

Master Mechanic
Jul 21, 2009
Tennessee
Man I wouldnt even give it a second thought.I've dragged junk through several states and cities with old junk trailers that truth be known wasnt even road worthy.A cop is not going to be out with a mission looking for small trailers without plates, if you got 10,000 lbs of loose junk blowing all over the road that might be a different story.If you did get pulled over its probably consider an infraction, a trailer doesnt have a title or mco unless its a over the road type for semis since they are used in commercial uses.

jrm81bu

Comic Book Super Hero
Jul 9, 2008
Antwerp, OH
Throw a fictitious plate on it. Or a slow moving vehicle sign(then stay under 25mph). Take a chance and get a fine, or possibly they could even impound the trailer.
Or one real thing that may work, is go to the bmv and get a scale ticket. This is used to take a homemade trailer to a scale to get weighed so they can decide how much to charge you for registration of the trailer. Then just tell any officer that you are in the process of registering it.
Whatever you do, don't ask anyone at the BMV for help. We called to ask what the weight limit was on homemade trailers before they were required to have brakes. The response was "trailers don't have brakes, semi trailers don't have them either". Friggin idiots!!!

dan2286

Royal Smart Person
Mar 25, 2008
Cleveland, Ohio
jrm81bu said:
Throw a fictitious plate on it. Or a slow moving vehicle sign(then stay under 25mph). Take a chance and get a fine, or possibly they could even impound the trailer.
Or one real thing that may work, is go to the bmv and get a scale ticket. This is used to take a homemade trailer to a scale to get weighed so they can decide how much to charge you for registration of the trailer. Then just tell any officer that you are in the process of registering it.
Whatever you do, don't ask anyone at the BMV for help. We called to ask what the weight limit was on homemade trailers before they were required to have brakes. The response was "trailers don't have brakes, semi trailers don't have them either". Friggin idiots!!!

25 mph, lol!!! Turn a 5 hour drive into 20 hours :lol:

I would throw a fake plate on it, but I would think that is worse than driving without one if I get pulled over. For the scale ticket, I am assuming I would just leave it blank and say I am getting it weighed? Also, do they have temp. tags for trailers in Ohio?

jrm81bu

Comic Book Super Hero
Jul 9, 2008
Antwerp, OH
dan2286 said:
I would throw a fake plate on it, but I would think that is worse than driving without one if I get pulled over. For the scale ticket, I am assuming I would just leave it blank and say I am getting it weighed? Also, do they have temp. tags for trailers in Ohio?

Ya just leave it blank. Not sure on the temp tag.

Bonnewagon

Lost in the Labyrinth
Supporting Member
Sep 18, 2009
Queens, NY
You guys have it made out there. I bought a new boat trailer 100 miles from home and it took 3 round trips to get it home legally. In NY you need a trailer plate, inspection, registration, lights, and your car insurance covers it. Oh, and ALL trailer registrations expire on Dec.31 of every year, so you get to put a new decal on the plate to be legal every year. If you registered it Dec. 30, it would still expire Dec. 31. Some sh*t, huh? A fake plate would probably get you by the best, unless you got spot checked for something, then a fake would probably be worse than none.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor