trans??? 86 regal from 307 to sbc

Status
Not open for further replies.

novadave1973

Not-quite-so-new-guy
May 24, 2013
when i install the sbc in the 86 regal using the oe trans will the trans mount be in the same spot or will i have to move it?

crucial118

Royal Smart Person
Nov 15, 2008
MARYLAND, DMV
I'm guessing you have a 200-4r with the multi-bolt pattern. If so, then yes it will bolt up with no problems. If, for some reason, someone put in a bop transmission or the car came with a bop transmission, then there will be a problem.

novadave1973

Not-quite-so-new-guy
May 24, 2013
I know it will boltup im asking if I will need to movethe crossmember or will the position of the trans stay the same changing to the chevy motor

Csilvy2000

Master Mechanic
Mar 14, 2012
Texarkana, AR
transmission position will stay the same. Be sure your engine frame mounts are in the correct location.

novadave1973

Not-quite-so-new-guy
May 24, 2013
thanks....I think if the transmission stays the same when I install the mock up block the frame mounts installed on the motor mounts the frame mounts should practically fall into place,,,,thanks for the help

Csilvy2000

Master Mechanic
Mar 14, 2012
Texarkana, AR
The small block Chevy mounts have four holes that can be used for mounting. Mounting them in the g-body frame only allows three holes to be used. There should be some photos available for correct location on the frame. Take a look at another g-body with a SBC and you can get the exact locations for your mounts. If you need a photo, let me know.

novadave1973

Not-quite-so-new-guy
May 24, 2013
I WOULD LOVE TO SEE SOME PICS. IF ITS NOT TO MUCH TROUBLE...I'VE BEEN PLANING THIS SWAP IN MY HEAD AND PRETTY MUCH BEEN USING THE THOUGHT THAT MOST EVERYTHING SHOULD WORK THE SAME AS A MONTE SS....SAME CHASSIS AS THE REGAL SO MOTOR MOUNTS TRANS AND SUCH SHOULD BE INTERCHANGEABLE...I WANT TO KEEP THE A/C AND THE CRUISE...

Csilvy2000

Master Mechanic
Mar 14, 2012
Texarkana, AR
I'll have a picture in an hour. I just put new mounts in my El Camino.

Csilvy2000

Master Mechanic
Mar 14, 2012
Texarkana, AR
I only took one picture of the mount location. I think you can get the idea. Of course there are several hole options in the frame, but the top forward most hole is a good starting point. Once you get a bolt in that hole, the other top bolt will line up with a hole. Place a bolt through and the third and final hole at the bottom of the mount will be lined up.

This third hole on my El Camino happened to be elongated. I assume all g-body frames have this hole elongated to allow a little play when installing the mounts.

Here's a picture. The front of the car is at the bottom of the picture. Good luck.

Attachments

• El Co pics from 7-3-13 010.JPG
    El Co pics from 7-3-13 010.JPG
    2.7 MB · Views: 508
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor