Trans shooting fluid from the dipstick.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zone_4_Lanlord

Apprentice
Feb 14, 2010
Philadelphia, Mississippi
I got a rebuilt 400 trans, it has a stand alone trans cooler,and 12 inch converter. It had about 8-9 qts put in, and when I drove the car trans fluid sprayed out of the dipstick. I stopped, checked the fluid, and the dipstick read it was low, so I added more fluid, and it sprayed again. The weird thing is, after the fluid spray out, the car still takes gear, and drives fine. Could it be I have the wrong dipstick, and I'm adding too much fluid. If not what causes this?

CAPERKEV

Greasemonkey
Jan 2, 2011
transmissions dont have a crank case as far as i know!!!!! i had 1 overfull 1 time and it shot fluid out tube. ya might have wrong stick in it

ZZ4CutlaSS

Master Mechanic
Jun 11, 2011
Minnesota
Sounds like your having issues with your breather tube being plugged. If you over filled your trans it would shoot out your breather tube not out the fill tube.

bill

Royal Smart Person
Jul 11, 2008
southside va/lake gaston
ZZ4CutlaSS said:
Sounds like your having issues with your breather tube being plugged. If you over filled your trans it would shoot out your breather tube not out the fill tube.
x2

megaladon6

Comic Book Super Hero
May 29, 2006
Danbury, CT
how does it read when cold?
X3 is it? on checking that it's the correct dipstick

Zone_4_Lanlord

Apprentice
Feb 14, 2010
So do I need to get a new breather tube, do you all think I'm overfilling the trans, because after the fluid shoots out the car drives fine

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
Did you fill the converter before you installed it? The 400 takes 10.5 quarts including the converter if you have a shallow pan 7.5 quarts without. If you have a deep pan it'll take another 3 quarts. Let the car idle until the car is at operating temp and then make sure the transmission is full before you drive it

Zone_4_Lanlord

Apprentice
Feb 14, 2010
pontiacgp said:
Did you fill the converter before you installed it? The 400 takes 10.5 quarts including the converter if you have a shallow pan 7.5 quarts without. If you have a deep pan it'll take another 3 quarts. Let the car idle until the car is at operating temp and then make sure the transmission is full before you drive it

Yeah I did all that and the stick read full after, the car was at regular temp. The trans took nine quarts in all, and it still shot fluid out the dipstick.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor