trans swap

Status
Not open for further replies.

JBreu

Royal Smart Person
Jul 15, 2008
Livonia, New York
Blake442 said:
Yes, it will bolt up to that crossmember.

You'll need to get 1/2" to 3/4" taken out of the driveshaft.
X2

adv1288

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Aug 6, 2010
Trans Swap/ Flexplate Issue?

Hello all, I am new to this forum and have a question I hope somebody can answer for me. I have an '87 Monte ss that I've recently installed a rebuilt 400sbc into. The 400 sbc is currently mated to a rebuilt th400. I would very much like to put the original th200-4r back in. My question is this, will the factory torque converter from the th200-4r bolt up to a 400 flexplate? If not does anybody have an idea of what would work? I know the 400's are externally balanced and need the 400 flexplate. Any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks Much.

SScamino

Master Mechanic
Jun 26, 2009
fishersville, Virginia
Well, I would just use the flexplate from your original motor, that way the starter will for sure still work and that you have the right flexplate. But yes it should bolt right up either way.

Phoenyx

Royal Smart Person
Jun 27, 2007
Alberta, Canada
Re: Trans Swap/ Flexplate Issue?

adv1288 said:
Hello all, I am new to this forum and have a question I hope somebody can answer for me. I have an '87 Monte ss that I've recently installed a rebuilt 400sbc into. The 400 sbc is currently mated to a rebuilt th400. I would very much like to put the original th200-4r back in. My question is this, will the factory torque converter from the th200-4r bolt up to a 400 flexplate? If not does anybody have an idea of what would work? I know the 400's are externally balanced and need the 400 flexplate. Any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks Much.

As far as I know it should bolt up. When buying a converter they are listed by transmission type, not engine type. Correct me if I'm wrong here people.

19cutlass79

Greasemonkey
Mar 7, 2010
Re: Trans Swap/ Flexplate Issue?

Phoenyx said:
adv1288 said:

As far as I know it should bolt up. When buying a converter they are listed by transmission type, not engine type. Correct me if I'm wrong here people.

+1, Thats the only way I've seen them.

wade

jrm81bu

Comic Book Super Hero
Jul 9, 2008
Antwerp, OH
There is two torque convertor bolt circles that I know of, and this is for the larger 168 tooth flexplate. Most replacement flexplates(and a lot of the factory) have both sets of holes in them, so you should be ok. Worse case, once you pull the transmission, you will be able to tell if your flexplate has both patterns(6 holes) or not(3 holes). If it doesn't then go get a replacement one from your local parts store(after you make sure it has 6 holes in it).

SSCamino, he can't use the original flywheel from the 305 on the 400 since the 400 requires an externall balanced flywheel.

SScamino

Master Mechanic
Jun 26, 2009
fishersville, Virginia
oh yea forgot about that... so no you cant use that.. I was going by all sbc are the same haha

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor