????TRANS????

Status
Not open for further replies.

87_luxury_sport

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Apr 11, 2008
WARREN
need some serious help/suggestions. it works great from start but after I drive for while and it heat up it won't go in drive if I take it out of gear, but will go back in gear after a 5-10 min cool down. the fluid is dirt and looks like no good. they say flush can make it go out, is that true? WHAT SHOULD I DO GUYS?????????

Jman

Greasemonkey
Jan 4, 2006
Ontario
I would start with the flush and filter first off and see how it runs.

megaladon6

Comic Book Super Hero
May 29, 2006
Danbury, CT
if you can't physically move the shifter into the drive position when hot then check the linkage. (especially if you have headers) if you can move the shifter but the car won't move it's inside the trans. honestly if the fluid is that crappy DO NOT FLUSH IT!!!!!!!!! i've seen a few blown trannies from that. just replace the filter and the oil in the pan first and see what happens. try and find some Lucas oil for the trans and put it in also. use the large (1qt?) bottle.
honestly if the fluid is "dirt" you're probably screwed.

Sep 1, 2006
Tampa Bay Area
The new detergents in the new fluid will basically cause it to leak past it's internal seals and kill the transmission. So, don't change it unless you want to rebuild it. I would try to adjust the shift linkage, and see if it is tight. If you want to adjust it, there is a 13mm bolt where the column comes through the firewall which would allow you to adjust the length of the rod and the engagement of the shifter. I would also check the engine and transmission mounts both visually and by grasping the tailshaft to see if you can move it side to side.

If you have to get it rebuilt, ask around to see who does good work at a reasonable price. If you shop around, you could get away with spending as little as $600 to have it gone through. You may be able to save some cash by having it "bench built", which means you do the removal and installation, but take it to the shop to have them do the actual work. Also, if you have it rebuilt, get a rebuilt torque converter at the same time. The old one will have debris in it and be impossible to clean out. I would also try to flush the trans cooler and lines as well to eliminate any old fluid or debris, and keep it from contaminating the new transmission.

87_luxury_sport

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Apr 11, 2008
WARREN
So should I try the new filter and some lucas first. Or jus buy this 700r4 from this guy on craigslist and get my driveshaft cut to fit, he's asking $100 for the trans and $150 to install it....

Sep 1, 2006
Tampa Bay Area
You should check the mounts and linkage first. Don't change the filter because doing so will require you to change the fluid too. I also am not a fan of the TH700 R4 compared to the TH200 4R because of the gear ratio having too big a drop from 1st to 2nd, and because of the adaptation modifications required. It simply is not worth the trouble. If you are going to go through all of this trouble for a used transmission, which may or may not be better, why not just spend a little more and get your old one gone through? I mean, you would be spending $300-350 to put an unknown used trans in your car-why?

You also did not specify which trans you currently have. Is it a 3 or 4 speed, is the car a 305 V8 or a 4.3 V6?

87_luxury_sport

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Apr 11, 2008
WARREN
I talked to this one place and they said they'll check it for free externally and let me kno what they think and what I need so ill keep you all updated

megaladon6

Comic Book Super Hero
May 29, 2006
Danbury, CT
i'd try the filter because you have nothing to lose. well $20-30 but it's not much if it works for awhile (my old boss had good success with the Lucas oil on bad trannies. it helps seal everything and it keeps the fluid a little bit thicker helping pressure and lubricity) if it's a th350 trans you could try a junkyard trans as they are a dime a dozen. if you want to change to a 4spd overdrive get the 200r4 (also pretty cheap at the junkyard since most people don't know how good they really are). you might be able to use the stock x-member or just use a g-body 200r4 x-member. either way it's cheaper than getting one for a 700.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor