Transmission Crossmembers,Pros & Cons

Status
Not open for further replies.

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
would it be possible to relocate the holes in the frame so the pad would line up?

but I'd call them in the am to see what the problem is.....it could be that they have send you a x member for an b body olds...

Minion1186

G-Body Guru
Apr 12, 2009
when i called gbodyparts.com,they said it'd work if i bolted it to the front holes,not the rear holes,i tryed it and it still didnt work,never got a call back on wheter the really sent me the wrong x member.I purchased the tubular x member for a th350 off them btw.When it did work on the front holes,it wouldnt let the transmission sit at the right angle too,it wants the let the transmission sit lower the it should without any x member in place.I think i may have to either drill new holes into the frame where it bolts to,or possibly drill new holes into the x member

Doober

Royal Smart Person
Apr 8, 2007
Swartz Creek, MI/Tucson, AZ

jrm81bu

Comic Book Super Hero
Jul 9, 2008
Antwerp, OH
Minion1186 said:
when i called gbodyparts.com,they said it'd work if i bolted it to the front holes,not the rear holes,i tryed it and it still didnt work,never got a call back on wheter the really sent me the wrong x member.I purchased the tubular x member for a th350 off them btw.When it did work on the front holes,it wouldnt let the transmission sit at the right angle too,it wants the let the transmission sit lower the it should without any x member in place.I think i may have to either drill new holes into the frame where it bolts to,or possibly drill new holes into the x member

Have you tried flipping it over?

bawazir

Master Mechanic
Sep 10, 2010
Doober said:
Modified mine as well.
DSC02351.jpg

Man that looks sweet and cheap to do

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
Doober said:
Modified mine as well.
DSC02351.jpg

have you installed that x-member yet?...the bridge you welded in looks too tall. The floor on the passenger side has an elevated pocket where the hump in the x-member fits but the driver's side is just flat. I've done the same mod as you have with my bridge being a bit wider than yours and I had to keep it almost flush to the original height of the crossmember or it would be jammed up against the floor. I did have it raised but not nearly as high as yours and I had to redo it to bring it down almost flush

Doober

Royal Smart Person
Apr 8, 2007
Swartz Creek, MI/Tucson, AZ
Been in there for a couple years now. It was a tight fit, but I kind of expected it because the body mounts are shot on that car. Hopefully on the '78 with the new poly mounts it'll have the clearance it needs. I snapped that picture real quick before we put it in... I need to try to remember to take a couple better pictures when I tear the '81 apart to put the '78 together.

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
..I do have new mounts in mine so maybe I'm thinking of it before I changed the mounts and the drivers floor which was probably drooping a bit.....old age is setting in... 8)

TheFullMonteSS

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Nov 19, 2010
I dont have pics but on my Regal (formally: RedHotRegal) i did that with channel.... think it was 2"X6". I drew a centre line on the bottom of the xmember where the pipe would run. Removed the x member and cut from top 2 cuts with cut off saw parallel to the center line wide enough for the channel to fit in. Then cut allong sides across the bottom leaving the bottom of the xmember intact. dropped in the channel and welded it up. once it was solid I removed the bottom section and finished up the welding. when I reinstalled it it was perfect against the floor pan. looked good to. I am going to do it again to the SS I just pulled out of a barn. Its my dailydriver so not going crazy with it till spring. I am going to cut the channel to match the angle on the xmember this time since I have access to a shop now.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor