Transmission Crossmembers,Pros & Cons

Status
Not open for further replies.

Minion1186

G-Body Guru
Apr 12, 2009
Many companies are making transmission crossmembers for g body GM cars nowadays,with a small budget,every little penny saved is earned.I just recently got a deal,a 1973 olds 350 v8,full drag race engine,complete except for minor details which will run me say,an estimated $450 for it to be in the cutlass and running.One of the items on the list is a transmission crossmember,with this deal of an engine,i also got a holley 750 double pumper carb that ran on this 350 and got a free basically fresh turbo-350 transmission with full manual valve body.As we know I already need a transmission crossmember for this specific transmission,i have found three i like.One is from summitracing.com,its a dual hump version for a th350,the price is $229.95.The second is a version from Jegs.com,for th350,basically similar to the one from summit,and is priced at $129.99.The third is from Gbodyparts.com,a tubular version of a transmission crossmember,not a dual hump,for a th350,its priced at $149.00.The reason i write this thread is to better understand which crossmember is worth the money,if the most expensive one is the worst,the cheapest one sucks,etc.I would like reviews about how these bolted up and if there was any trouble or even any modification required to make these fit.Like said before,i am tight right now with money,and if the jegs and gbodyparts crossmembers won't do,i will fork out the extra money for the more expensive one if it fits right.I also put a poll up for this thread too.Here's some pics of the transmission crossmembers mentioned above.
SummitRacing X-member
sum-7703000.jpg

Jegs.com X-member
55041050.jpg

GBodyparts.com X-member
607x480_Erics%20Pix%202427.jpg

Right now,the one i like is the tubular crossmember,i think it looks a little cleaner than the others and will offer additional clearance and most likely is lighter than the others,but it looks like there's one wide,short hole for the transmission to frame bolts to go through and looks like it may be trouble to hang and which of the two holes on each side to hang it in.

Oregon350Cutlass

Apprentice
Jan 4, 2008
Ok,so I just went through this myself and after looking through many threads and asking around this is what iv'e concluded.

1."Summit Racing Brand" isn't actually from summit,they send you a G-Force Crossmember...This is the one I bought and It fit pretty easy after I removed a small skid plate from underneath.If your not worried about weight,this is the one for you.it looks great from underneath if you got a show car,leave plenty of room for exhaust and I believe it stiffens the chassis a bit.Its also powdercoated so its got a durable finish.

2.JEGS BRAND-From what iv'e read its a tight fit and people have had to dent or push in the floorboard alittle bit.Thats all I really know about it.lol and its cheaper.

3.GBodyparts.com made by ICEMAN I think Lots of people have used them and liked them.Saves weight and if your a avid racer then you want this.People say fit's great,looks great and is very durable.Plus its made application specific by a G-Body guy...I should have bought this one to save some $ but I personally like the look of the 1st one.

I think i covered most of it and if not i know someone with more know how will get the rest.

3XBrownCutty

Royal Smart Person
Mar 20, 2008
NW PA
thats kinda what i figured about iceman and gforce seling through bigger dealers.

Don't mean to hi-jack, but has anyone fabbed their own crossmember here? Wouldn't be too hard to re-create an iceman or g-force piece... If you're a good welder :lol:

blk74nova

Apprentice
Oct 7, 2009
I have an older style ICEMAN crossmember. Fits great and looks just like the summit brand.

Mike P

Master Mechanic
Aug 7, 2009
Arizona
"......Don't mean to hi-jack, but has anyone fabbed their own crossmember here? Wouldn't be too hard to re-create an iceman or g-force piece... If you're a good welder....."

I did for my Cad 500/TH400 install. I personally believe in keeping it as simple as possible, so I used a piece of thick wall tubing, a couple of pieces of angle iron and the transmount pad from a donor crossmember. After the initial fabrication I figured out where the reliefs needed to be fo the X pipe, heated the areas and hammered in the reliefs.

Since the picture was taken I added a piece of 1" angle iron across the upper back side (more for piece of mind than out of necessity).

Total investment was about $20 and 2 hours of my time.

crossmember.jpg

• Agree
Reactions: 1 user

carmangary

G-Body Guru
Oct 13, 2009
Probably a stupid question but what is wrong with the stock ones? Too heavy? Too weak?

Mike P

Master Mechanic
Aug 7, 2009
Arizona
:.....Probably a stupid question but what is wrong with the stock ones? Too heavy? Too weak?....."

Biggest problem is no clearance for a drivers side exhaust pipe for true dual exhaust. The second thing usually is if you'e not running the stock transmission (i.e. a 700R4 or TH400) the transmission mount pad is not in the right place.

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
Mike P said:
:.....Probably a stupid question but what is wrong with the stock ones? Too heavy? Too weak?....."

Biggest problem is no clearance for a drivers side exhaust pipe for true dual exhaust. The second thing usually is if you'e not running the stock transmission (i.e. a 700R4 or TH400) the transmission mount pad is not in the right place.

I modified my stock 200 4r crossmember for a T5 and cut a section out the crossmember on the drivers side and welded in a plate on each side of the crossmember and a plate across the top and I'm running headers with 2.5" SS duel exhaust with no issues and plenty of clearance..

Gutlass

Apprentice
Nov 16, 2009
:twisted: Just ordered the gbodyparts one, I'll let you know what I think.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor