transmission question, intermittent?

Status
Not open for further replies.

RICKDIZZLE

Master Mechanic
Sep 16, 2014
This issue is on an 85 Cutlass, stock 3.8 V6 about 132,*** miles on it with auto transmission. It just randomly started today. Car from stop will go no problem, but then will not upshift intermittently. Seems to get stuck in 1st or 2nd. Then will be fine...then a little while later, will happen again. No transmission leaks, fresh transmission fluid about 500 miles ago with fresh transmission filter. Again it's not consistent, just intermittent. The car does have hydraulic suspension, and I checked to make sure nothing leaking out of my output shaft seal and nada. Ideas of where to start and what to check? Oh and its the stock 3 speed transmission. Thank you for your time.

Last edited:

383S10

Master Mechanic
Mar 16, 2008
Toney, AL
Your TV cable will probably need adjusting ......see if its on the tight side.......remember make small adjustments......

RICKDIZZLE

Master Mechanic
Sep 16, 2014
Awesome. I hope that's all it is. Anyone have a pic of where it is located and proper way to adjust it? What is too tight vs loose? Thanks for helping me out with this new process to me!

383S10

Master Mechanic
Mar 16, 2008
Toney, AL

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
I don't think it's the TV adjustment if you havn't touched the TV cable recently. It sounds more like the governor is sticking

Last edited:

timo22

G-Body Guru
Sep 10, 2012
St. Louis,Mo
X2 on the governor sticking. Most times changing fluid and filter in an automatic causes problems. It just seems to dislodge particles that can possibly hang up valves and cause problems. Not to mention a lot of people may be having issues with their transmissions and think a fluid and filter change will fix something and generally the opposite happens. I used to be in the auto trans . business and saw this frequently..timo22

Opie Knievel

Rum Fueled Midnight Mechanic and Moderator
Sep 6, 2010
Brodhead, Kentucky
Your TV cable will probably need adjusting ......see if its on the tight side.......remember make small adjustments......

One thing I've learned the hard way, you don't "adjust" the TV cable. You set it and leave it alone. Adjusting it is sure to burn the trans out.

• Agree
Reactions: 1 user

RICKDIZZLE

Master Mechanic
Sep 16, 2014
Thank you everyone for the reply. I'll stay away from the TV cable as I have never adjusted it. What causes the issues with the governor? How does such an issue just spring up and what causes the intermittentance of it?

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor