Truck Bellhousing and Muncie M20

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thetransporter2007

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Apr 18, 2021
The Gbody bellhousing pivot ball is rotated about 3 degrees counterclockwise. You can see the larger pad cast into the 697 to accept either pivot location. That and the G-body-specific fork with the jog in it are there to clear the floorboard. The typical G-body Chevrolet '606' housing only fits a 153-tooth, 12-3/4" flywheel (right). For 1978 only, I think, there was a '697' casting that fit the 168-tooth 14" flywheel (left). The 697 will fit a 12" clutch. Sorry to say, though, that they are really, really hard to find. However, the overall casting is the same as a standard GM car bellhousing for a 14" flywheel, - you could use the matching straight fork and put a big dent in the floorboard for clearance.

What size flywheel and clutch kit are you running?

If you abandon the approach you are using now, and that curve fork is not useful...let me know. I might buy it from you...
Sounds like you mean one of these “697’s?

I think the pivot ball needs to be moved to the lower flat portion inside if we are going to use the curved clutch for then though from what I’m seeing?

Dayzedandkonfuzed

G-Body Guru
Feb 9, 2010
Anglemont, BC
If you want to change everything, this is what I did. Along with a 3rd gen Camaro clutch master cylinder. The hole in the firewall for cruise is a perfect location for the master, but will require reinforcement.

1619560347339.png

Reactions: 1 user

ssn696

Living in the Past
Supporting Member
Jul 19, 2009
Permanent Temporary
Looks like that will work. You may want to epoxy a threaded plug into the old hole or weld it up.

For that price plus labor, perhaps a safety bellhousing is not much more cost? Just a thought...

Reactions: 1 user

Ribbedroof

Comic Book Super Hero
Supporting Member
Jan 4, 2009
Wellston, OK
Given the scarcity and expense of the OE stuff, along with the potential for clutch/header fitment problems, the hydraulic throwouts look pretty attractive, although I do recall the late great Steve had issues with them.

Thetransporter2007

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Apr 18, 2021
Given the scarcity and expense of the OE stuff, along with the potential for clutch/header fitment problems, the hydraulic throwouts look pretty attractive, although I do recall the late great Steve had issues with them.
yeah I have found a few
Looks like that will work. You may want to epoxy a threaded plug into the old hole or weld it up.

For that price plus labor, perhaps a safety bellhousing is not much more cost? Just a thought...
Yeah that's what we were thinking. Or pay a machine shop to fill it for us. I thought about the safety bellhousing but the one we were pointed to was almost $600! If you have any cheaper that may work let me know :). Otherwise I am still open to opinions on this idea we have. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor