Trunk builds, let's see them.

Status
Not open for further replies.

FE3X CLONE

Comic Book Super Hero
Dec 2, 2009
Ohio
Need some ideas. I have a 12" sub and three amps. My plan has always been to hide the sub box behind the rear seat and put the amps on a board in front of that but would like to see what others have done.
I'll be finishing the rest of the trunk with carpet but was thinking of adding some burl walnut accents to match the interior.

Thanks,

fleming442

Captain Tenneal
Dec 26, 2013
Your sub will sound better firing backwards, bouncing the waves off the rear panel. A 50 Hz wave is 50' long, so the further you can make it travel, the better it will sound. If the sub enclosure will hang back over the edge, it might be better to put the amp rack in the floor.

I've seen lots of your posts, and have no doubt in your ability. What are you looking for idea-wise?

1/4" Masonite can be cut and laid over panels before covering to create designs.

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
I have a 10" R sub facing backward sitting up on the ledge. I found the best thing i did for the sub to get to the interior is to remove the deck speakers and put 6" speakers in the recessed area by the rear seat. With the deck speakers gone the sub was nice and clear

FE3X CLONE

Comic Book Super Hero
Dec 2, 2009
Ohio
I was looking more for ideas on finishing the trunk out. I've already tested the configuration I have and it sounds fine to my ears. I don't have any speakers in the rear deck so I'm sure that helps a little with getting the bass to the cabin.

I'm thinking about just doing black carpet everywhere and then creating a cover for my amp board made from aromatic cedar. After all, it is a trunk. :)

pencero

Royal Smart Person
Feb 20, 2008
Ind.
Black carpet looks sooooooo bad if you choose the wrong material (ahem, ME). I already made this mistake before and it was a huge waste of a day for me. Ended up taking it all right back out of the trunk. Get lots of samples before making a choice or it will come out not to your liking! Don't rule out an unconventional materials like velvet. Don't ask other car guys you know to help you w/ some carpet or fabric stuff or you will be so frustrated at how un-helpful they are - ask women or a gay guy straight up. Don't forget to consider the backing when choosing a material. The wrong backing on a material can trap moisture against the trunk floor causing it to suddenly rust out unexpectedly. Using the wrong type of carpet (such as industrial office carpet) can cause the backing to bond w/ the trunk floor like rubber cement as well.

tobyp

Royal Smart Person
Jun 12, 2011
Cincinnati, Ohio
The cutlass

Attachments

• IMG_3338.JPG
    IMG_3338.JPG
    3.5 MB · Views: 5,911
  • IMG_3342.JPG
    IMG_3342.JPG
    2.8 MB · Views: 1,239
  • Copy of IMG_3120.JPG
    Copy of IMG_3120.JPG
    2.8 MB · Views: 1,145
  • IMG_3002.JPG
    IMG_3002.JPG
    3.7 MB · Views: 1,824

tobyp

Royal Smart Person
Jun 12, 2011
Cincinnati, Ohio

Attachments

• IMG_3108.JPG
    IMG_3108.JPG
    3.5 MB · Views: 1,086
  • IMG_3101.JPG
    IMG_3101.JPG
    3.7 MB · Views: 1,033
  • IMG_3115.JPG
    IMG_3115.JPG
    3.3 MB · Views: 963
  • IMG_3122.JPG
    IMG_3122.JPG
    3.6 MB · Views: 1,161

axisg

Comic Book Super Hero
Jul 17, 2007
YYZ
My monte started with 4x 8's + 4x 10's mounted to the seatback ( PO ). I re-used the amps, 2-10's, and added a set of 6x9 Infinity kappa's. Not as pretty as some but it gets the job done. I never liked the mess of wires so I made the hinged door to hide it all. Sealed box. The front of the box is tapered to match the angle of the seatback. 2 bolts to the trunk floor and 2 bolts to the seatback ( with a rubber pad between ) keeps it in place. Speakers firing up is not ideal but there's not much room in there. I use my trunk and drive my car so I could not ditch the spare or take up the trunk floor so this is my compromise :)

liquidh8

Comic Book Super Hero
Gotta love the old PPI's! I can't wait to reinstall my ARTs.

L92 OLDS

Comic Book Super Hero
Mar 30, 2012
West Michigan
fleming442 said:
Your sub will sound better firing backwards, bouncing the waves off the rear panel. A 50 Hz wave is 50' long, so the further you can make it travel, the better it will sound..

Are you sure about this? Last time I checked, the wavelength at 50 Hz is about 22 feet long. Hertz = cycles per second.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor