Turbo 3800 T56 Grand Prix

Status
Not open for further replies.

Built6spdMCSS

Geezer
Jun 15, 2012
Florida Beach
Saw this thread, here is what I did with my SS. Re-shaped the fire wall a little bit and made my own Clutch Pedal. Been using LS1 FBody Hydraulics, direct install with no modifications to the Master Cyl, that was the goal.

Reactions: 1 user

bs009

Greasemonkey
Jul 26, 2008
Smashville
Saw this thread, here is what I did with my SS. Re-shaped the fire wall a little bit and made my own Clutch Pedal. Been using LS1 FBody Hydraulics, direct install with no modifications to the Master Cyl, that was the goal.

Thanks for the link, looks like the main difference from what you did is that you used an S10 pedal instead of a 3rd gen f-body pedal. Looks like that could have been a pretty good route to go down then, wish I had seen options like this back in 2016 when I did this. Have you had any issues with your firewall flexing then? I didn't notice any sort of bracing on firewall in that thread.

I used a 3rd gen f-body pedal and I believe I welded on the 4th gen clutch nipple deal, been a few years since I've done it now so not entirely sure. I had ordered tons of parts in a mad rush to get it done when I did and had to do tons of cutting and welding to get all of the switches and pedal stops in the right spots.
I took some gopro footage of what the master does when I push the pedal down and it looks like it still has some flex in it even after the fix I did so I'm planning on going back out there and bracing it even more if I have time this week. I know for sure it's aligned perfectly horizontally and vertically, but I think I'm going to have to check the angle it points at too now

Built6spdMCSS

Geezer
Jun 15, 2012
Florida Beach
I did that back in 2016. Using some washers as you see, the master cyl is steel, and beating with a hammer may have work hardened the steel on the fire wall, I haven't had any issues.

81cutlass

Comic Book Super Hero
Feb 16, 2009
Western MN
There was a former member on the forum here that had a T5 in his GP and had the same failure as you where the firewall ripped out.

Updates look really good! Should improve the clutch feel immensely.

I'm a bit salty that Power Tour didn't start in 2022 where it left off last year like it usually does. I was hoping PT would start from Champaign IL and up to Madison WI (like it was supposed to in 2020) and then loop back south west through IA and MO/KS. I'm bailing out this year, TN and GA is too far away for this Minnesnowtan.

I'm guessing it will be 2024 by the time it gets north again.

Reactions: 1 users

DRIVEN

Geezer
Apr 25, 2009
*CENSORED*
Hey, at least they get within 4 states of you. We aren't all so fortunate.

• Agree

bs009

Greasemonkey
Jul 26, 2008
Smashville
I figured they skipped Illinois and some of the other northern states because they might've been worried about more covid restrictions making a comeback this year.
I heard this wasn't the only year they didn't start where they ended but definitely still pretty odd for them to break that tradition again. I was also surprised and a little let down that it's still only 5 days again, but I'm happy to hear that autocross is back again though.

I kinda wonder if power tour is morphing from what it was supposed to be sometimes, I heard it's not even really run by Hot Rod magazine anymore but idk how true that is. I'm thinking next year I'm probably going to skip it unless they go somewhere really cool or local and instead do something like a race week or just my own road trip out west somewhere. This year is going to be my 4th year in a row for Power Tour.

bs009

Greasemonkey
Jul 26, 2008
Smashville
So with only a few weeks left before power tour I decided "why not swap out the engine and rewire the whole car!!"

So that's what I've been working on for the last 3 weeks XD

picked up a bunch of retro 3800 parts from a friend of a friend who got out of the 3800 world a long time ago.
I'm using a junkyard block from him, a set of hand-ported heads with larger valves and a valve job, and his old camshaft. Basically I'm building the motor he intended to build next but with a turbo instead of a blower.

junkyard engine:

Uqao3t5.jpg

Some parts:

ahlPSTu.jpg

Head studs and MLS gaskets:

Zlc9yiA.jpg

Heads installed

HG13A0x.jpg

I'm using 150# PAC springs, 3/8" pushrods, stock rockers, and some expensive LS7 lifters that I've been told are the ones to get.

some new parts

MtgENNE.jpg

ntBN1eP.jpg

Ygdwrjq.jpg

U0XYsfz.jpg

160 lb/hr injectors:
mMkbK8t.jpg

New twin disc Monster clutch going in after 7 months since I ordered it!

Ao0Ns1x.jpg

JcBVo8p.jpg

I found out my old exhaust manifolds were leaking really badly when I pulled out the old engine:

cRc1ZeS.jpg

This has been a problem ever since I put the car together back in 2017. I thought it was just v-band misalignment or other parts leaking but I've been realizing this has been the issue all along.
We took a lot of precautions to prevent the flanges from warping while welding but it seems that it wasn't enough. This might have even been an issue on the headers I salved the flanges for too now that I think about it more though.

Belt sander to the rescue!
OMkA65T.jpg

rih21pB.jpg

"New" engine assembled:

dvID4RY.jpg

I won't need a MAF where I'm going!

4CEZLzo.jpg

Time to gut the old wires out!

RlG9fAF.jpg

5JvolA8.jpg

lSEV5IE.jpg

Some new stuff!

zQMV1LD.jpg

bRuOrTt.jpg

I've been working on converting the car to the Holley system for the last few weeks! I'm using the Terminator X for this swap with the LS1/LS6 24x harness. I figured that would be the harness with the most usable connectors for this engine.

x8mZE9Y.jpg

I basically had to rewire almost every sensor under the hood aside from the coil packs, injectors, and a few other sensors. I also had to sort out some things like the A/C system, alternator, and a few of the new sensors I have.
I'm using the Holley to control the A/C system just like the factory PCM would. It's monitoring A/C pressure and controlling the A/C clutch too.

I have a bunch of cool new sensors I'm using with it:
Fuel pressure
A/C pressure
exhaust pre-turbo pressure
coolant pressure
oil temperature

and I have a bunch of other inputs to help control it too.

UvjNqnm.jpg

I kept the factory PCM in the car for the VSS ouput to the speedo though. The Holley doesn't really support doing that so I figured the PCM would be a good alternative to the dakota digital everyone else is using.
I'm also hoping to be able to use the cruise control too, but we'll see how that goes haha!

I was finally able to fire the car up on Friday but it had a massive oil leak so I couldn't really test it before the weekend. The thing fired right up on the Holley though so I was pretty impressed! It needs a ton of tuning though still and I think I have a misfire to sort out still but I'm pretty happy!

• Winner
Reactions: 7 users

81cutlass

Comic Book Super Hero
Feb 16, 2009
Western MN
Cool! Nice to see an aftermarket ECM on there, i'll be interested to see how that works. I didn't realize you could disable injectors on the terminator.

It also answers my question of 'how are you triggering LS coils with the 3800 ignition module' question :p

Reactions: 2 users
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor