CUTLASS Turbo LS Cutlass, almost road ready

Status
Not open for further replies.

Buster

Apprentice
Jul 26, 2020
PA
But....but...."g-body LS swaps aren't cheap" and "a stock 5.3 swap costs $14k". Pretty cool to see you disprove conventional wisdom.

I am collecting parts for a similar build with a similar budget.
Hell yeah man, I'm all about budget builds!

This is the 5th build I've done, and the first two went way over budget and out of control. The next two I shot way lower and was able to stay inside a budget and had just as much fun with the cheap parts as I did with the expensive parts.

This time I had a goal in mind: Run 10s for $5k.

At first I started gathering SBC parts, but then found out about our lord and savior, TURBO LS.

So I sold/gave away all that junk and went to the local pull yard. Grabbed a 5.3 and put together a build list. Put the engine together, covered it and pushed it into a corner of the garage. Took me two years to find a chassis that fit my budget and requirements. It had basically boiled down to three options; Fox Body, F Body, or G Body. But I found this G body, and man am I glad I found it. Over the next two and a half years or so I got the engine installed, turbo kit built, engine harness made, rear end rebuilt w/ new gears, and transmission built. Ended up having to shorten the driveshaft 2 3/4 inches.

As it sits I am barely over $5k. I still need to get grippy tires, and its time to head to the track.

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 users

Buster

Apprentice
Jul 26, 2020
PA
Nice.

What is the motor? Stock? What turbo and cam? Where are you in PA are you? First MS?

Sorry, I missed answering this.

Yes, this is my first experience with MS. Overall I'm happy with it. Personally I prefer it to the AEM Infinity standalones I've messed with.

Reactions: 1 user

64nailhead

Goat Herder
Dec 1, 2014
Upstate NY
Hell yeah man, I'm all about budget builds!

This is the 5th build I've done, and the first two went way over budget and out of control. The next two I shot way lower and was able to stay inside a budget and had just as much fun with the cheap parts as I did with the expensive parts.

This time I had a goal in mind: Run 10s for $5k.

At first I started gathering SBC parts, but then found out about our lord and savior, TURBO LS.

So I sold/gave away all that junk and went to the local pull yard. Grabbed a 5.3 and put together a build list. Put the engine together, covered it and pushed it into a corner of the garage. Took me two years to find a chassis that fit my budget and requirements. It had basically boiled down to three options; Fox Body, F Body, or G Body. But I found this G body, and man am I glad I found it. Over the next two and a half years or so I got the engine installed, turbo kit built, engine harness made, rear end rebuilt w/ new gears, and transmission built. Ended up having to shorten the driveshaft 2 3/4 inches.

As it sits I am barely over $5k. I still need to get grippy tires, and its time to head to the track.
That's a lofty, but attainable goal. I think you'll be another $1500 at least, but I'd love to see you prove me wrong. I'm in a similar boat with a goal, only a little faster and a little more money. I'm trying to stay under $10K. My biggest hurdle has been having to spend more than once for the same part, namely trans and injectors.

I believe the real fun is in trying, and the living and learning along the way. You're never going to be the fastest because there is always someone else doing just what you're doing and learning from your efforts. But you're gonna do sh*t if you don't try. Might as well have fun along the way.

Good luck and stay safe brother - Jim.

Reactions: 3 users

Buster

Apprentice
Jul 26, 2020
PA
That's a lofty, but attainable goal. I think you'll be another $1500 at least, but I'd love to see you prove me wrong. I'm in a similar boat with a goal, only a little faster and a little more money. I'm trying to stay under $10K. My biggest hurdle has been having to spend more than once for the same part, namely trans and injectors.

I believe the real fun is in trying, and the living and learning along the way. You're never going to be the fastest because there is always someone else doing just what you're doing and learning from your efforts. But you're gonna do sh*t if you don't try. Might as well have fun along the way.

Good luck and stay safe brother - Jim.

Hell yeah my man! I like your style.

motorheadmike

Geezer
Nov 18, 2009
Saskatchewan, Truckistan
A 5.3 with a GT45 is a handful on street tires.

Get some sticky tires on there.

• Agree
Reactions: 4 users

Buster

Apprentice
Jul 26, 2020
PA
Don't worry about that AFR reading, I don't have the wideband parameters setup quite right yet, its not reading exactly right in the software.

IDK why this one uploaded in potato mode

Reactions: 1 users

Buster

Apprentice
Jul 26, 2020
PA
I got the brake fluid flushed and replaced with DOT 4 . It's nice having brakes.

I need to order tires, once they're on then its going to get inspected.

64nailhead

Goat Herder
Dec 1, 2014
Upstate NY
Sounds great. Are you using an IAC or no?

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor