"Turn Key" Is Not An Option

Status
Not open for further replies.

DRIVEN

Geezer
Apr 25, 2009
*CENSORED*
Cool stuff. Between 13 and 16 years old I probably averaged 100-150 miles per week. Too old, fat and tired to even try anymore. The mongrels were always my favorite and I was constantly trading parts. I miss bikes.

Oldsmoletick

Royal Smart Person
Sep 18, 2009
cny
I hear you there, my friend and I used to spend at least 10 hours a day riding, I'd love to have that energy back. Though every week, I notice I can ride longer, and recover steam faster. First day I was pretty pathetic, ride for 20 seconds recover for ten minutes :shock: .

Oldsmoletick

Royal Smart Person
Sep 18, 2009
cny
:rofl: They do kick *ss in the winter, plus they're fairly economical, I keep saying I should've bought the one I looked at over 10 years ago.

Oldsmoletick

Royal Smart Person
Sep 18, 2009
cny
Been a month since I've updated this, Finally got around to rebuilding my wheel bearings on the red car, but I decided to add a little feature in hopes to prolonging their life, :mrgreen: .

hub07_zpsedeb83f7.jpg

hub08_zps3fcc9d84.jpg

hub09_zps16dc9660.jpg

hub10_zpsb2b1e23f.jpg

hub12_zps86cbf711.jpg

Greasable hubs :lol: , No clue whether this will work, I figured it's worth a shot, in theory it seems like a good idea.

Being that I had to press theses hubs apart and press the new bearing on I made a little tool out of some exhaust pipe, a strut rod washer, and the old bearing with the cage removed, to assist with that.

installer01_zps84f47631.jpg

installer02_zpsba19c7f9.jpg

Pretty crude but it does the job.

Still can't get the damned front flip right :evil: .
[youtube]sDeNPJ2Ize0[/youtube]

On another non g project note, I managed to wreck one of the snowmobiles last weekend, broke the cowel, windshield, and bent the handlebars (Barrel rolled it), so I'll be dragging that home sometime in the near future to fix. Really pissed me off I did that too, 73 Moto Ski that was in very nice shape.

Oldsmoletick

Royal Smart Person
Sep 18, 2009
cny
Kinda hard to find even here, I have to go to my local beer distributor that brings in oddities to get it, sometimes they have it, others not. If you have a Wegmans type store that brings in odd beers, you may be able to get it there. Oh, it's cheap too, 8 or 9 bucks for a 12 pack, :mrgreen: .

Oldsmoletick

Royal Smart Person
Sep 18, 2009
cny
Been a while since I've chimed in, been busy with life number 1, lol. The inevitable finally happened, that primitive motorcraft piece of sh*t pissed me off to the point where, even though it's rather hack, A Qjet had to take over the fuel management on the 84 sedan. I gave it a fair shot, it proved itself to be a typical carburetor, which is unacceptable. So here's a few pics of the swap over.

Being pretty disgusted with the aftermarkets offerings of carburetor adapters, going from a small (carter) 2bbl to a holly or MC pattern, I decided to made a transition plate. Basically this gives a smooth transition from the large carb, down to the small intake, no walls to obstuct flow. This is the under side, but it's basically what I started with (just a plate of 1/4 aluminum, with a carter throat pattern, and holly/MC base plate).

A little die grinder work, and you see the top side blended to make the transition.

Why do it? Just to see if I can. A quadrajet eqquiped 258 in an Eagle.

The verdict, I should have done this right from the start, yes I lost a low end due to the series of adapters, but if this proves reliable consistent performance, I'll spring for the 4bbl intake to make it right. So far, idle quality has improved, no more random stall outs, and I can carve a corner without hesitation.

*I still need to make a throttle spring bracket, the zip ties just get me by til then, lol.*

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor