"Turn Key" Is Not An Option

Status
Not open for further replies.

Oldsmoletick

Royal Smart Person
Sep 18, 2009
cny
As the title suggests, it seems nothing I get, no matter how I obtain it, is ready to use. I know I've posted pics of my gf's AMC Eagle SX/4, but I don't think I ever showed what it started out as. I bought it back early 2009, paid $500 for it, started working on it around June 24. It was a very solid car, but it sat under a pine tree for 15 years untouched, so it had it's fair share of residents over the years, lol.

SX4172.jpg

SX4002.jpg

SX4003.jpg

Much like the jeep, I gutted this car (but, minus driveline, dash board, and steering).

SX4008.jpg

SX4009.jpg

Fairly stright car minus a couple dents that were hiding under the plastic flares.

SX4011.jpg

SX4016-1.jpg

SX4018-1.jpg

SX4019.jpg

Floors were decent minus a spot on the drivers side.
Here we see the pile of Eagle :lol:
SX4061.jpg

sx4077.jpg

more on this to come.......

Bonnewagon

Lost in the Labyrinth
Supporting Member
Sep 18, 2009
Queens, NY
When those cars were new, I had a friend that loved them so much that's all he and his wife drove. Good find!

DRIVEN

Geezer
Apr 25, 2009
*CENSORED*
I worked with a guy who was into those. He had one with the Gremlin back he claimed was pretty rare. I don't think he ever finished it though. He got distracted by Scouts. Hard to tell by the last pic -- which engine?
I'll be watching this.

Ringers

Greasemonkey
Dec 7, 2011
I used to be into Jeeps, bad and this chick I knew, her name was Jamie bought one of those brand new. sh*t, I loved it. Super cool little rig. I think it had a 232?...anyhow, out drinking and four wheelin one night, she says her 4by can go anywhere my Small Block land cruiser with 4"lift and 33's could go. The race was on and I went through this mudhole that just about swamped my *ss and before I could get out and stop her, she plunged straight into it. Well, it took the rest of the night and into sunrise before we got it pulled out. Mud and water mid door level. It totalled the little sweet SX4, her parents forbade her to hang with us rowdy bastards after that. She lost a cool rig, and we lost a cool chick to go out with. I wonder what she's up to these days....
Circa 1984??

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
Oldsmoletick said:
As the title suggests, it seems nothing I get, no matter how I obtain it, is ready to use..

there is an important "but" missing...

Oldsmoletick said:
As the title suggests, it seems nothing I get, no matter how I obtain it, is ready to use..but when I'm done it's as good as new

Oldsmoletick

Royal Smart Person
Sep 18, 2009
cny
Thanks Bonnewagon!

Driven: The engine is a 258, the gremlin back ones, or kammback, are very rare (remebering the fact, most of these cars were used as winter rats and daily beaters), they only made them I believe for 2 years 81 and 82. Something around maybe 4500 total production?

Ringers: That sucks, but it's part of wheelin, lol, they don't like water too much.

:rofl: Thanks pontiacgp, lol, I don't know about good as new, but I try. :lol:

Oldsmoletick

Royal Smart Person
Sep 18, 2009
cny
Now, before I go any further, the original idea of this car was to be a year round driver for the gf, it was supposed to get the driveline from a jeep (4.0, auto trans, 2 speed transfer case, axle). The plan took a detour to say the least, the more I tore into this car, I started noticing, it was much nicer than I had originally anticipated, so the snowball effect took over, and instead of just throwing paint at it (what I did to the jeep this past year), I spent a lot of time on the body. Eventually I got sick of pushing this thing around (heavy b*st*rd, lol), one night after getting home from the bar, pickled would be an understatement (walked home btw), I got curious and decided to see the ole booger would run. I robbed the battery from the malibu, dumped a bit of gas down it's throat, hit the key, and it fired, I was impressed. Next day went out got a rebuild kit for the carb, threw a new fuel pump on, rigged up a jerry can, and low and behold, that thing ran better my injected jeep, haha, I was shocked to say the least.

SX4012-1-1.jpg

cleaned up a little bit.

This discovery brought on a bunch of micro projects, valve cover leaked horribly, gas tank was shot, clutch pedal was broken, and slave cylinder was seized.

SX4024.jpg

Addressing the pedal, the "arm" that hooks to the master is what was broken, I tried just welding it back on, well they used some type of cast, first time I stepped on the pedal (after new hydro compents of course), the arm snapped back off, I was pissed, so I made something virtually unbreakable for my second attempt.

SX4033.jpg

SX4035.jpg

Is it overkill? Absolutely, that's what happens when I get pissed, lol, it's been holding up just fine.

Gas tank........Yeah, nobody makes one for these cars, period. Plan X, it so happens, that I had an almost brand new gas tank I extracted from my 92 cherokee. Setting the tanks side by side, the dimensions were similar, got me thinking, lol.

SX4042-1-1.jpg

I modified the cherokee tank to fit the eagle, as one can see, the cherokee tank has the filler on the side, as shown I moved it to the back (just like our g's ,lol).

T10-1.jpg

fits rather nicely.

Then there was the jeep sending unit, had to modify that a little too, being the eagle one was thrashed, usless in the jeep tank anyway, I took out the electric pump made a spacer, had a new sender ready for install.

SX4040-1.jpg

Yes I left the harness intact, maybe someday I'll go injected, all I'd have to do is put the pump back in, and plug it in, lol.

Ok so now we're up it can run, it can get gas, it has an operable clutch, should move on it's own right? Wrong....

Amc used 2 piece axles, the hub, fastens to the axle. The axle shaft was stripped of its splines.

SX4028.jpg

SX4026.jpg

After fixing this, I finally had a mobile eagle, time to continue the body work, lol.
Ok I lied,hahaha, there's a little more trickery going on, these have a motorcraft ignition box, I have heard nothing but sour stories about them, so I found a little article on how to fix the issue.

Enter GM HEI

MHEI05-1.jpg

MHEI07-1.jpg

Being that the stck ignition still worked, I still have it as a back up if needed, no wires were cut on the car so it's a simple plug and play operation.

Stay tuned for segment 3............

DRIVEN

Geezer
Apr 25, 2009
*CENSORED*
It's a different kind of rare in the NW. We don't have very harsh winters. You don't see the Eagles very often but when you do they seem to be in relatively good shape. Usually more neglected than beat or rusty -- just like our Gbodys. We don't salt roads so rust is rarely an issue. I suspect they're rare around here more because people didn't need the 4x4 capability. They could probably get a Malibu wagon or a Volare for less money when they were new.

Oldsmoletick

Royal Smart Person
Sep 18, 2009
cny
Oh absolutely, these cars were damn expensive in their day, not to mention, finicky, so many people hated them, lol.

Ringers

Greasemonkey
Dec 7, 2011
This is gonna be a fun section! LOL! Awesome work on the clutch and fuel tank! Maybe it was an '82? I was just out of high school and that puts me at '81. And, ya, our junk doesn't rust up here, usually wrecked before that. At least that's been MY personal expierence! LOL

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor