BUILD THREAD Turning Back Time

Status
Not open for further replies.

ssn696

Living in the Past
Supporting Member
Jul 19, 2009
Permanent Temporary
Clarification. The 400 was in the blue wagon, and when I scrapped it, I did a cam change and put it into a Chevy C20 to haul my crap out to New Mexico. The 400 split a cylinder and hydro-locked, so I swapped in a junkyard 350. After a couple years, I had the dead cylinder in the 400 sleeved, and had a light hone done on the other 7, then replaced the rings and bearings. Now the 400 is in the coupe. The wagon currently has a roller 350 set up to eventually receive the top half of a GM Ram Jet 350 injection system. Boxed up with the harness and ECU in the closet. Those parts cost $2000 more today. Sometimes the Hoarder wins...as long as the parts age well.

DSCN4374.JPG DSCN4379.JPG DSCN4373.JPG

https://gbodyforum.com/threads/turning-back-time.58361/post-493696

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users

ssn696

Living in the Past
Supporting Member
Jul 19, 2009
Permanent Temporary
I went back and looked, and I never posted pictures of the interior. The old guy that fixed up the wagon before I picked it up had spent some money on a new carpet and reupholstering the seats. He put a retro 'protector' clear cover over the new front seat. Clearly he did not have small kids - the protector needs to be on the BACK seat...

IMG_2514.jpg

The tailgate panel is kind of chalky. Very hard to find, then inevitably far too many zip codes away. At least the headliner is staying up...for now.

IMG_2515.jpg

The hatch glass chrome surround is coming apart, and it took out the paint over the years. I can't fix it right now because the tailgate linkage is bound up and won't release the glass.

DSCN5890.JPG

During the 2008 crush fest, I luckily picked up another window plus the wing. That's the setup I had on the blue wagon. I'd like to get rid of the roof rack, but the holes are a problem.

DSCN5886.JPG

DSCN5889.JPG

At least the door panels are in decent shape, although I picked up a spare set from a crunched Bonneville sedan.

IMG_2516.jpg DSCN5969.JPG

The dew wipes are shot, as are the window glass felts. I found new, but not exact, replacements on EBay and JCWhitney. JCW has dropped these from their lineup, but I located the actual vendor. In a later post, I'll report the details.

DSC_2232.JPG DSC_2233.JPG DSC_2234.JPG

From 20 feet, though, I'm happy with this car. Sitting behind the wheel gives me flashbacks. Good ones.

IMG_2512.JPG IMG_2513.jpg

Stay tuned....

Last edited:
  • Winner
Reactions: 6 users

Texas82GP

Just-a-worm
Apr 3, 2015
Spring, Texas
Thanks for the update. I thoroughly enjoyed it. That is a really cool wagon.

• Agree
Reactions: 1 users

ssn696

Living in the Past
Supporting Member
Jul 19, 2009
Permanent Temporary
Yeah, it makes me sad that it just sits while I juggle life's commitments. So far, I have refused to choose. A or B - I take both. Further, I choose a coupe and a wagon...

I will keep the updates coming as there is more story to tell. Like the 6x9 speaker adapters for the cargo area pockets, which I made in 1986 and have held onto all these years.

DSCN5061.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: 4 users

Sundancer

Greasemonkey
Nov 1, 2015
Long Island, NY
WOW, What a fantastic thread..........................this is what keeps me reading this forum, day in and day out as I admire someone that has True dedication to the cause without a chip on his shoulder :)
Keep it coming !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Reactions: 2 users

ssn696

Living in the Past
Supporting Member
Jul 19, 2009
Permanent Temporary
Thanks! I hope to inspire my kids to be involved. Maybe they'll only drive them, but at least they 'get' my hobby.

Reactions: 1 users

Texas82GP

Just-a-worm
Apr 3, 2015
Spring, Texas
I know the feeling. I took my car apart 5 years ago. Where did the time go?

1evilregal

Comic Book Super Hero
Apr 23, 2009
Greensboro, NC
nice update. I can understand the whole "refuse to get rid of them, but don't have the time/patience/drive " thing... my great niece is probably the only family member, other than my brother on the opposite side of the country, that would even be remotely interested in any of my cars, and she's more into the ratrod stuff.... at least they have lots of "patina"

ssn696

Living in the Past
Supporting Member
Jul 19, 2009
Permanent Temporary
The wagon grounds me to my past. I remember an event from high school, driving the original woodie wagon. I was turning into an entrance to I-95 during a downpour. While making the turn, the car hydroplaned straight at a 5" curb. In one of the few times I instinctively made the right call, I quickly spun the wheel straight, and hit the curb with the front wheels centered. Hopped over it and stopped on the grass with no damage. I can recall two dozen other times in my life where I 'chose poorly' and had life's equivalent of bent rims, tie rods, or control arms.:rolleyes:

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user

motorheadmike

Geezer
Nov 18, 2009
Saskatchewan, Truckistan
This is such a well done wagon... don't sweat the time you don't use it - relish the time that you do.

The wagon grounds me to my past. I remember an event from high school,

My brother and I were discussing this yesterday and how my Monte is the same thing for me. It is just the idea of it.

I know the feeling. I took my car apart 5 years ago. Where did the time go?

I took my Monte off the road in 2012 for mods. Then we had kids, I built up the TBSS and the wagon, and professional commitments came up... and the Monte still sits. But, I keep finding new reasons not to finish it.

It is really comforting to know it is there waiting for me.

Reactions: 1 user
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor