UMI Releases New Product- C5/C6 Front Brake Conversion Kit for the 78-88 GM G-Body

Status
Not open for further replies.

G_Body_Enthusiast

Royal Smart Person
Supporting Member
Feb 28, 2005
Louisville, kentucky
I see we can still use machined g-body rotors as hubs, that's a cost saving measure there! I like the idea of repacking my bearings instead of not knowing how long a hub is going to last. Hubs are convenient I suppose but everyone should know how to repack their own bearings and actually do it during brake service.

Also, are the cages on those small bearings plastic? Please say no.

UMI Performance

Master Mechanic
GBodyForum Sponsor
Jul 9, 2011
Philipsburg, Pa
Correct, we sell the brackets alone for customers who want to make hubs using a G-Body rotor, bracket P/N is 3046.

The bearings supplied with our hubs have nylon cases. They are premium bearings and have survived two race seasons so far on our Monte and are still in good condition.

Thanks for looking.

Clone TIE Pilot

Comic Book Super Hero
Aug 14, 2011
Galaxy far far away
I see we can still use machined g-body rotors as hubs, that's a cost saving measure there! I like the idea of repacking my bearings instead of not knowing how long a hub is going to last. Hubs are convenient I suppose but everyone should know how to repack their own bearings and actually do it during brake service.

Also, are the cages on those small bearings plastic? Please say no.

Maching the rotors off of the stock G body hubs leaves the casting weake. Many GN guys have complained of the milled hubs cracking on them around the stud holes.

565bbchevy

Geezer
Aug 8, 2011
Michigan
I was just curious as what the total cost of the kit would be so just looking at the Autozone site for calipers, rotors and pads;
For a C5:
Reman. Calipers $69 x 2
Caliper core charge $35 x 2 (non refundable if buying outright)
Rotors approx. $56 x 2
Pads $46
With the kit price of $470 this gives you a total of $836 not including brake lines and misc. hardware or taxes.
The C6 would add another $174 to the price with more expensive rotors, calipers and core charge.

UMI Performance

Master Mechanic
GBodyForum Sponsor
Jul 9, 2011
Philipsburg, Pa
Maching the rotors off of the stock G body hubs leaves the casting weake. Many GN guys have complained of the milled hubs cracking on them around the stud holes.

We have also seen a few post where they had crack, we also have seen a lot of cars running them with out issues. I am not saying either is good or bad, but we offer it either way for the customer. Or if the customer already sourced hubs. Hope this helps.

G_Body_Enthusiast

Royal Smart Person
Supporting Member
Feb 28, 2005
Louisville, kentucky
I think the cracking issue may be related to the quality of the casting used.

Would be interested in something like this if metric threads was an option so I can use my wheel locks.

I don't want to buy another set of lug nuts just to use these hubs. I'm sure switching over to 1/2" studs isn't a big deal but, that means buying another set of lug nuts. I might use the Blazer spindles I have and work on cleaning up the original spindles and get them looking spiffy and go back to them later on.

axld86

Greasemonkey
Nov 7, 2013
between disney and bush garden,FL
I too was looking at the blazer ( belltech 2'' drop ) spindle / KORE C5/C6 brake kit. Glad to see this option with the same factory brake upgrade. I have done the rear suspension / brake's ( with UMI adjustable uca-lca/ roto-joints )will be doing the front suspension / brakes next.looks like you will get another call from me Ryan.

455'ed80Regal

Master Mechanic
Nov 3, 2010
Lincoln, MO
I think I will chance it for the price difference and use my original rotors and machine them into hubs and swap the studs with dorman 610-265(same size knurl as original studs). Also my rotors use the larger A3 outer bearing.

Kansas Bu Wagon

G-Body Guru
Jul 9, 2012
Wichita, Ks
Yeah I know, old thread. But, if I wanted to run the 5x4.5 (ford pattern), what rotor would I use? Could I still use the corvette calipers?

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor