BUILD THREAD UMI's 1978 Cutlass

UMI Sales

G-Body Guru
GBodyForum Sponsor
Oct 11, 2011
Philipsburg, Pa
Will those rims fit with the backspace that you've listed, or do you have plans for changes to allow them to fit?
Our plan is for them to fit as-is. We have a test set with that backspace.

Do you have a different experience or just wondering?

Maverick's_Monte

Greasemonkey
Sep 15, 2011
Rhode Island
Just want to give major props to UMI, I’ve had my order in my garage since January and am just now getting around to doing the front suspension. Upon looking at the upper arms so had two driver side arms. Made a quick call and they got a passenger arm in the mail not more than an hour later. You guys rock! Can’t wait to follow this build especially since you are going to have some great videos of it.
I second that emotion, I can't say enough about these guys. I put my stage II kit in my monte carlo over a decade ago. All of it is still in the car, and I remember the installation if only because the directions were easy to follow and everything bolted up according to the instructions. I am not a mechanic by trade, I only pretend to be one on the weekends, so if I could complete this successfully, with no modifications or calls to customer support, then those of you with the "skills to pay the bills" should have no trouble.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user

Streetbu

Know it all, that doesn't
Supporting Member
May 22, 2011
Central NY
Will those rims fit with the backspace that you've listed, or do you have plans for changes to allow them to fit?
That's what size and backspacing fits on my car with no issues....

melloelky

Comic Book Super Hero
Oct 22, 2017
mass
That's what size and backspacing fits on my car with no issues....
and his^ set up's
Happy Team GIF by Club Immobilier

scoti

Royal Smart Person
Sep 5, 2019
Texas
It all depends on ride height. If the kit isn't an aggressive drop, the extra width outboard should clear the fenderwell openings up front w/o fuss.

I've seen other vendors/manufacturers require >/= 6"BS to keep the fender lips from kissing rubber on 9-9.5" widths up front.

clean8485

Comic Book Super Hero
Dec 18, 2005
Ontario, Canada
Our plan is for them to fit as-is. We have a test set with that backspace.

Do you have a different experience or just wondering?
I have an '80 Malibu with 1" drop springs in it. I bought a set of the staggered 17" Z28 style Year One rims. The front rims are 17" by 8" with 4 1/2" BS, with 245/45 tires, and they fit no problem. The rear rims are 17" by 9" with 5" BS, with 255/50 tires. They wouldn't work without a spacer, so I installed 7/32" spacers. The left rear fit and cleared OK, but just barely, and the right rear fit, but the inner sidewall of the tire was just barely touching the inner wheel tub, and the frame rail, just ahead of the rear axle. A friend loaned me one of his 19" by 9" rear rims with 275 tires on them to test on my car before I ordered the Year One rims. His rear rims had 4 3/4" BS, and the rims would clear, but the 275 tire was hitting the frame rails behind the rear axle. He had them on an '88 Monte SS, which was lowered 2" (I believe), and they worked fine of his Monte. I know that GM had issues with the rear axle housings not always being perfectly centered, relative to the frame, and I know that this condition can be corrected with adjustable rear control arms. I'm just relating my experience. If you get those wheels and tires to clear properly without any adjustments to the position of the rear axle, relative to the frame, without notching the frame, and without spacers, I'd like to see some photos. Not saying it can't be done, just want to see some photos.

Reactions: 2 users

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor