BUILD THREAD UMI's 1978 Cutlass

scoti

Royal Smart Person
Sep 5, 2019
Texas
Our shipping manager has a Malibu with these on it. They fit great so that's one of the ways we got the numbers to use.

View attachment 218517

U11018957352U110 RAMBLERCHROME PLATED18X9.55X1275.2901mm78.1028.00 lbs16003.801002-46P
Quick glimpse of the image shows this car has rear disc brakes which adds ~.250" to the OE housing WMS-to-WMS dimension. That impacts the BS number vs a car w/OE drum configuration.

Reactions: 1 user

UMI Sales

G-Body Guru
GBodyForum Sponsor
Oct 11, 2011
Philipsburg, Pa
Quick glimpse of the image shows this car has rear disc brakes which adds ~.250" to the OE housing WMS-to-WMS dimension. That impacts the BS number vs a car w/OE drum configuration.
True. Dustin's car has a Quick Performance rear and Wilwood Dynalites.

Supercharged111

Comic Book Super Hero
Oct 25, 2019
Colorado Springs, CO
True. Dustin's car has a Quick Performance rear and Wilwood Dynalites.

He must not be a fan of the way QP uses front calipers and lets the pads ride over the top of the rotor. I approve.

Streetbu

Know it all, that doesn't
Supporting Member
May 22, 2011
Central NY
How do disc's add .25" to the width? They are the same thickness as stock aluminum brake drums that came on these cars. I can measure my factory OE aluminum drums from my car that I removed last year when I swapped to disc's when I get home tonight

Last edited:

scoti

Royal Smart Person
Sep 5, 2019
Texas
How do disc's add .25" to the width? They are the same thickness as stock aluminum brake drums that came on these cars. I can measure my factory OE aluminum drums from my car that I removed last year when I swapped to disc's when I get home tonight
How many cars came w/alum drums (not all G-bodys got alum drums)? How many still have those alum drums? I can tell you of the 5x 2-door Malibu's & 4x El Caminos that have been in my possession over the years, not one of them had alum drums. The steel drums are by far the more common option under a G-body. I have a pair of them though & could measure but .250" is prob accurate.

The point was/is...... Basing BS numbers off of what works on one car is not necessarily true on another similar car. Each cars overall combo can make a difference between working or not. You & I have covered this. Your wheel/tire combo works great for your Malibu. Pull them off your car & lets put them on my Malibu.... Without even trying, I can tell you they won't fit because my car is lower.

Since it's difficult to perceive tone, I'm not calling anyone/anything out, just trying to make sure EVERYONE understands this:
Basing BS numbers off of what works on one car is not necessarily true on another similar car. Each cars overall combo can make a difference between working or not.

You can use posted numbers as a guide, but you still need to verify specifics on the exact vehicle.

Reactions: 3 users

UMI Sales

G-Body Guru
GBodyForum Sponsor
Oct 11, 2011
Philipsburg, Pa
I just measured the absolute bone stock axle here at the UMI race shop. The WMS to WMS was 60-3/16.

The QP axle here doesn’t have rotors yet and axle face to axle face is 59-5/8. We’ll see what it lands at when we add rotors.

Reactions: 3 users

UMI Sales

G-Body Guru
GBodyForum Sponsor
Oct 11, 2011
Philipsburg, Pa
We’re really working here.

Attachments

• IMG_8110.jpeg
    IMG_8110.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 98
Reactions: 4 users

clean8485

Comic Book Super Hero
Dec 18, 2005
Ontario, Canada
Are the wheel and tire sizes and measurements on your shipping manager's setup exactly the same as what you're going to use on the Cutlass?

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor