Unfortunate news

Oct 14, 2008
Melville,Saskatchewan
Good news, Katherine is home after 28 days and the initial look of the bone marrow looks to be Cancer free! The not so good news is her treatments will all be 3 weeks to a month stay and we don't know how soon the next treatment or how often they will occur. All the treatment is free but it is 140 km away.

Reactions: 15 users

Bonnewagon

Lost in the Labyrinth
Supporting Member
Sep 18, 2009
Queens, NY
Just keep on top of things and do what the doctors say to do. My Dad had pancreatic cancer but lived a year and a half longer than he should have because he did what he was told. Now my Wifey is 5 years cancer free but they don't like something they see on her pancreas. So back to the doctors/hospitals/exploratories/treatments and all the rest of that stuff that scares the crap out of you. It really is amazing the things doctors can do these days. What was once a death sentence can now be dealt with. Stay strong!

• Winner
Reactions: 8 users
Oct 14, 2008
Melville,Saskatchewan
So we have more of a treatment schedule 7, 3 week cycles. Plus 3 smaller ones I believe, probably a couple of weeks in between. It looks like one day in the hospital in Regina and rest will be pill form at home and Katherine will go to our local hospital for blood work. Pretty sure she will get bumped to the front of the line and get special treatment😎. She is doing a Skype meeting with the hospital in Saskatoon on September 29. If a match is found, her Brother and Sister both submitted blood samples. If a match is found and they want to proceed, which they will, she will go in for a very long stretch in Saskatoon, 4 hours away. I will probably have to stay in Saskatoon. They have $40 a day with meals included for Cancer patient family members, really close by. I would to a leave from work, probably stay all week and come home on weekends.

Reactions: 5 users

69hurstolds

Geezer
Supporting Member
Jan 2, 2006
Hope everything goes her way. Fighting cancer isn't like waiting in the Chick-fil-a drive-thru, which may seem like forever. It can be a long, tedious, slog sometimes. My mom went through a lot of hoops and ups and downs, but it spread anyway and got her in the end. But if you don't fight it, you'll be guaranteed to lose. Do what's best for her and keep up the fight!

Reactions: 4 users
Oct 14, 2008
Melville,Saskatchewan
It has been very hard, much worse than seeing Dad or My Father, 3 times before it got him. My Father in Law was also hard to see go. My Sister In Law dead at 32 was bloody awful and unfair. My Niece is the miracle out of that. It wasn't easy to see My Wife so sick, she was really close to not making it. She is still weak and tired. All she can do is fight.

Reactions: 5 users

84 W40

G-Body Guru
Dec 9, 2009
I know what your going through its not easy, be strong and think positive thats what help me. My daughter was diagnosed with ALL Leukemia at the age of 2 and battled it for 15 years with a transplant. She is now 21 and doing great.

• Winner
Reactions: 2 users
Oct 14, 2008
Melville,Saskatchewan
Well, why do people flock to Cities? Because the ****ers make you. We recieved an information package in the mail from Saskatoon. The Hospital stay for the bone marrow transplant will be 3 to 5 weeks in Saskatoon. We have to be within an hour of Saskatoon for 3 months. We live 4 hours away. She needs constant supervision. They suggest no direct sunlight for the first year or graft vs host disease is likely. Graft vs Host disease from a bone marrow transplant killed my 32 year old Sister in Law. It is very scary, knowing what can happen.

69hurstolds

Geezer
Supporting Member
Jan 2, 2006
Accck! That is scary. Beating cancer is never easy, and this kind of stuff makes it harder. It's like the procedure and process to survive it is just as bad as the disease. But hopefully do what needs to get done and get this crap behind you guys. Get the win whatever it takes. The next year or so will seem like the longest because you can't even stop for a minute to get your breath, but stay strong. She's going to need your support.

• Agree
Reactions: 4 users

ssn696

Living in the Past
Supporting Member
Jul 19, 2009
Permanent Temporary
Can any of our Northern neighbors lend a camper trailer? It’ll be chilly, but you could be very close with that option.

Reactions: 2 users
Oct 14, 2008
Melville,Saskatchewan
Had the tele meeting today. So there is Cancer residue still present. They want us there in Saskatoon for the first week in December. One month in hospital, a minimum of 3 months after, maybe 4 months or more is possible. We must be within an hour of Saskatoon for that time. The first month is easy $45 a day with meals at the Cancer Lodge. Once my Wife is out, $85 a day is much less appealing.

• Sad
Reactions: 1 users

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor