Unisteer rack and pinion steering

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rktpwrd

Builder of Cool Shjt
Supporting Member
Feb 2, 2015
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
Too expensive for negligible benefit and return on investment IMO.

• Agree
Reactions: 3 users

ck80

Supporting Member
Feb 18, 2014
Too expensive for negligible benefit and return on investment IMO.
Same money spent in other areas of suspension, body mounts/bushings, etc will be more useful IMO as well

• Agree
Reactions: 1 user

81cutlass

Comic Book Super Hero
Feb 16, 2009
Western MN

I've seen the TRZ rack installed and it's a good option. However it's more drag focused and manual.

UMI Sales

G-Body Guru
GBodyForum Sponsor
Oct 11, 2011
Philipsburg, Pa
We run a Turn One gear on the UMI Green Machine. Works awesome and fits great.

With that being said, nice to see CM15CW installed a Unisteer. That car looks really nice.

I guess it matters why you'd want a rack. If for awesome steering then the Turn One is a great option and much less work. Some guys want a rack-n-pinion though, which is what makes hot rodding fun. Not everyone wants the same thing and there's multiple ways to make things happen.

• Agree
Reactions: 6 users

64nailhead

Goat Herder
Dec 1, 2014
Upstate NY
I'm curious on the review from CM15CW. Was it worth it? Is it better? Would you do it again if you had a choice?

Looks pretty trick to me, and I'm sure I could fabricate a jounce bar solution. It looks lower than rear jounce bar mounts, is it?

CM1SCW

Greasemonkey
Nov 6, 2020
Lenoir City,TN
I believe it was worth it, steering is quicker and I would do it again for me. It does set lower so the jounce bars are about 1.5 inches below mounting location. Unfortunately I bought the UMI front brace to replace the jounce bars before I had the unisteer installed. The UMI brace will not fit either. But the bracket for the unisteer runs between the frame rails and is very rigid bolting where steering box and idler arm was mounted, so it stiffens the front pretty well. So far I am happy with it.

Reactions: 1 users

81cutlass

Comic Book Super Hero
Feb 16, 2009
Western MN
I didn't realize now how wonky that unisteer rack is.

It's totally opposite to every rack I've ever seen. I didn't understand the 'brace' at first and thought it was a part of the mount but that's the damn steering link.

It mounts the moveable part of the rack solid to the frame and it essentially welds the center link to what is usually the center, stationary part of the rack.

They do nova and camaro rack conversions like normal but all their full frame car and truck steering box conversion kits are these weird flipped arrangement things.

I'm curious who the designer is on that one. Does he brush his teeth with his feet? Does he have the mailman put his mail in the garbage can and he puts his garbage in the mailbox? Does he mow his yard with his snowblower and move snow with his lawnmower?

I wonder if he does everything backwards or does he only design the steering rack conversion kits backwards.

• Haha
Reactions: 2 users

Supercharged111

Comic Book Super Hero
Oct 25, 2019
Colorado Springs, CO
We run a Turn One gear on the UMI Green Machine. Works awesome and fits great.

With that being said, nice to see CM15CW installed a Unisteer. That car looks really nice.

I guess it matters why you'd want a rack. If for awesome steering then the Turn One is a great option and much less work. Some guys want a rack-n-pinion though, which is what makes hot rodding fun. Not everyone wants the same thing and there's multiple ways to make things happen.

T1 did the rack and pump on my Camaro. Do they do trick stuff to the box like redhead or bluetop?

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor