UPDATE! My t56 and ford 8.8 swap! FINALLY onto rear swap!

Status
Not open for further replies.

marcar1993

G-Body Guru
Aug 31, 2007
New Jersey
I knew I wanted a 4 speed in my 87 cutlass since the day I bought it at 13 years old. Finally after a few th350s I decided screw it, its now or never and I started looking for parts. I had decided on a 5 speed most likely because I wanted to have overdrive, now understanding what a 4 hour highway drive with 3.42's was about (something 13 year old me couldn't have known). One day scouring craigslist I stumbled on a 94 camaro part out. I figured t56's were out of my price range, but I called him up and when he said $400 for the trans I told him I'd be there that night. He said give me a day to pull it, and I then drove 3 hours to long island to get it. Next was the fun of figuring out how to make this lt1 only designed trans to mate to my small block olds. There's tons of info out there for t56 to a sbc, not so much for BOP cars. Thanks to the help of FE3X CLONE (Andrew) answering all my questions, big and small and tons of internet research, I had some kind of plan in mind and started accumulating parts.
Here's the list more or less, first time I've added the prices too!
lt1 t56 $400
weir performance t56-bop bell and hydraulic throwout $760
4th gen clutch master $50
AN line adapter $20
Clutch line $20
John Bzdel hydraulic manual conversion pedal $200
Stock replacement flywheel $180
Ram muscle car Clutch $200
Iceman t56 crossmember $160
DOT 4 fluid $15
5 quarts dex III trans fluid $25
ARP flywheel and clutch bolts $25
Supercars unlimited pilot conversion bearing $50
That's $2105 so far, I'm sure I'm forgetting some stuff too. Still need to install my new rear and get a measurement to have the driveshaft made up.

It was a very straight forward install. I pulled the th350 out, pulled the flexplate, took the power brake booster (for room) and pedal assembly out. The John B pedal went in just as designed, remove old pivot bolt, install new one and new pedal. Done... only other thing to do is cut the old brake pedal pad down to match the clutch pedal. I then reinstalled the pedal assembly with bolts to hang the pedal in place. Pop out the cruise control harness and put the master through this hole. I drilled the lower hole just a little lower and more to the passenger side of the "bump" in the firewall (after doing it wrong the first time.) Then I put a bolt in and lined up the master rod on the clutch pedal so it would have a perfectly straight throw. Then I drilled the other hole and tightened it down. "
From there, I installed the pilot conversion bearing. Not all olds motors were drilled for a pilot bushing. So this goes into the converter hub space on the crank and I trimmed about .375" off the nose of the input shaft per the bearings instructions. After that I installed the flywheel and clutch. I then realized the one piece dust shield goes on BEFORE the flywheel, so I cut it in half and slid the halves in behind the flywheel. Bolted up the bellhousing, the trans (with the shifter removed), then the crossmember. I'm using my old th350 mount. I drilled a little hole up alongside the shifter location to mark where to cut and slowly cut the hole bigger and bigger til it fit right.
That brings me to where I am at right now. Now I need to fill and bleed the clutch, install my ford 8.8 and have a shaft made up.

The ford 8.8 was never in my plans, however after looking for an 8.5 for so long, a mustang friend of mine who was pestering me to go 8.8 got a 97 parts car. I got the rear out of it for $200. So I picked up a new set of 4.10's and a carbon fiber posi rebuild kit for it, new bearings, and now I just need to put it all together. For control arms I went with trick chassis instant center correction kit uppers with upr mustang upper spherical housing ends. For the lowers I have stock boxed arms with rubber in them (so I can still run my stock sway bar). These rears are already disc brakes, and supposedly use the same lines sizes as a g body. I just need to get new rubber caliper lines, move the split block to the other side (drivers like a g body) and make up a few hard line to connect the block to the rubber. As for e brake cables, it looks like a stock g body cable *should* work, but time will tell!

Rear $200
Trick Chassis Suspension $220
UPR Sphericals $80
4.10's $100
carbon fiber ford racing clutch kit $120
bearings, lube, additive $140(?)
Brake lines $50
So about $910 total. Remove the brake lines and suspension components which you'd buy for an 8.5 too at the same cost, its $560 for a fresh rebuilt rear with new gears and a fresh posi that is said to be as strong as a 12 bolt, and MUCH stronger than a stock 9".

I'll post pics later or tomorrow. Gotta get some and upload them!

williamattop

Master Mechanic
Apr 9, 2014
Appleton WI
Re: My t56 and ford 8.8 swap!

Sounds like a great plan you have in motion. I have dreamed of owning a 5 speed G-body for many years.

Paladin

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jan 15, 2013

Hey Marcar, excellent read. I am really interested in your progress on the install. Looking forward to your pics and more details. I'm just finishing the details on my 455 Poncho into 81 Grand Prix swap. What's become painfully apparent is the rear end likely won't last and the gearing is in the high 2.00's. Keep that info coming! Thanks.

marcar1993

G-Body Guru
Aug 31, 2007
New Jersey

The trans is in, just need to put the brake booster back in, trim the shifter hole a little more, and bleed the clutch. Now I'm waiting on finishing up my 8.8 to get it in and get some driveshaft measurements. Here's my highly skilled ford mechanic/welder friend welding the tubes to the housing. :rofl: Almost got this thing done!

Attachments

• cutlasst56.jpg
    cutlasst56.jpg
    37.1 KB · Views: 2,032
  • cutlasst563.jpg
    cutlasst563.jpg
    22.8 KB · Views: 1,953
  • cutlasst561.jpg
    cutlasst561.jpg
    28 KB · Views: 1,903
  • cutlasst562.jpg
    cutlasst562.jpg
    22.8 KB · Views: 1,910
  • cutlasst565.jpg
    cutlasst565.jpg
    34.5 KB · Views: 1,945

marcar1993

G-Body Guru
Aug 31, 2007
New Jersey

Go with the trick chassis uper control arms and instant center relocation buckets. Also you'll need spherical housing ends. You are supposed to be able to run stock lower arms, but on the axle side you'll need a spacer for the bushings. I might just stack fender washers myself. Then you need either a conversion u joint (no clue the part #) or a ford end welded on your drive shaft. Also, you'll need to make up axle brake lines to match the g body driver side drop. You will need ford pattern wheels, or gm drilled axles. Thats about it. Its a little wider than a stock g body rear, fox cars are closer, sn95 (94 and up) are 1 1/2" or so wider overall, so it'll bump the wheels out ~.75" per side.

jetsetw31

G-Body Guru
Sep 9, 2010
Petersburg, VA

pontiacgp said:
how did you find a T56 for $400?

It's a New York thing. Long Island dudes just want things gone sometimes. I once got a '82 Camaro for free out there and all I did for them was fix a few electrical wall outlets. Right time and right place. :mrgreen:

jlcustomz

G-Body Guru
Nov 22, 2011

Thanks for the axle info. I,ve researched it some & found a bit of variance in information. I'd prefer the later model with discs like you got. My current wheels needed a 3/8" spacer, so I could live with 3/4" extra per side with a little more fender lip trimming. Need the gm bolt pattern though, may be able to set up & drill between the later 5 bolt models myself. Boxing stock lca's , welding axle tubes & new spring mounts is no problem for me. Wondering if driveshaft length will need to change. Got a prepulled junkyard shaft years ago marked olds delta 88 307/ 350. it fit both with my tpi/t-5 combo & my current ls1/t-56 combo.

Tried checking with bulldawg customs, which advertised in their g-body book that they would be building the stronger explorer rears for g-body's , but never got a return call.

marcar1993

G-Body Guru
Aug 31, 2007
New Jersey

Idk how I did find one so cheap, but I'm happy and even if at that price it winds up broke somehow, I still did well! That's why I jumped on it! Honestly he was parting out his kids car, and idk if he really knew what it was worth.
As for rear swap, I'd suggest having a shop do the drilling, you don't wanna be off AT ALL on that. Also, if you want the "stronger" explorer rear, the only difference is 31 spline carrier and axles. Grab a 31 spline carrier from one, order up new 31 spline axles in gm pattern (maybe $250-$300) and you have a stronger rear. Welding the axle tubes isn't a NEED, but it is a point of failure on many rears (tubes spinning/flexing, so why not do it.) As for the company making the bolt in g body explorer rear setup, I doubt its going to be cheap at all. Explorers are leaf sprung, so they are building a truss to mount the upper control arms to, will it be strong, probably, but for that cost you could probably go 8.5" or 9". The point of the mustang rear swap is that its close enough to get away with it and its CHEAP. If it wasn't cheap, I wouldn't be doing it. For the mustang rear all you need to mount it is the swap upper control arm kit with relocation buckets and some spherical housing ends. Then weld on the spring perches and the drive shaft issue. The rear is the same size as a stock g body rear, but idk which one. The 8.5 uses a 1" shorter shaft then the 7.5, so idk... However you'd still need a b*stard u joint to mount it up, or have the end of the shaft swapped anyway.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor