UPDATE! My t56 and ford 8.8 swap! FINALLY onto rear swap!

Status
Not open for further replies.

mebe007

Royal Smart Person
Feb 7, 2007
newport news, viginia
Re: My t56 and ford 8.8 swap!

looking good. is that the 2.5" or the 3" pypes system. what mufflers did you go with ?

marcar1993

G-Body Guru
Aug 31, 2007
New Jersey

It's a 2 1/2" kit. I'd have gone 3" but they don't make a side exit 3" kit, and I don't like the bumper exit.

mebe007

Royal Smart Person
Feb 7, 2007
newport news, viginia

Which mufflers did you choose? I have the 2.5" with the street pros.

marcar1993

G-Body Guru
Aug 31, 2007
New Jersey

I have street pros too.

I got my exhaust all finished up (one joint leaks a little though). Got the car out tonight and got to drive it! First I'll say I'm very happy with the pypes exhaust. At first it was a little loud for me, but after driving it, it is a nice sound and not too bad if you keep your foot out of it.
As for my whole t56 set up... WOW. I was so worried about how everything would feel, but it is AWESOME. I love it. The clutch is firm, but feels good and grabs nicely, trans shifts great, I don't know what else to say, but I've wanted to be shifting my own gears since April 23, 2007 the day I took the car home at age 13, and it is exactly what I wanted and then some!

Pics and vids will follow, it was about 12:30 when I went out, a bit late to be messing around with this thing running.

mebe007

Royal Smart Person
Feb 7, 2007
newport news, viginia

Glad you finally got to drive it. Having a third pedal really changes the attitude of these cars. Best thing I ever did. I even yout over drive, but it's still cool going to shows and people getting the irony kicks over my muncie. As for the street pros there very subdued at idle. Almost too subdued. But watch out with your foot to the floor, they bite back big time. At cruise I have no drone at all. Granted my entire interior minus the doors are sound insulated but theyes are great mufflers. I've been debating switching to the violators for a more agrees I've idle but I couldn't imagine how much louDer the rest of the car would get.

Mark

FE3X CLONE

Comic Book Super Hero
Dec 2, 2009
Ohio

How did you manage to keep the hole for your shifter so small in the floor? On my '87 I had to cut it quite a bit larger to clear the reverse lockout solenoid. Did you remove the solenoid?

marcar1993

G-Body Guru
Aug 31, 2007
New Jersey

I got a good 80+ miles on the car today. Not only is it more fun and quicker, but it gets GREAT mileage. I got a 16.5mpg 50/50 city highway. I used to get 11 on the highway!

I agree, at idle its a nice mellow rumble, but when you get on it, it is LOUD! Even accelerating in town normally it is loud.
And I agree it makes a big difference in how the car behaves. I love it, and I will say my th350 was really toast, because the car is much faster now, it actually pulls not just making noise. That thing must have been slipping the whole time!

As for the hole in the floor, the solenoid is still there, its close to the floor, but sits just a little below it and it doesn't make contact so I'm happy with it!
I'm probably gonna get a cheapie pepboys shifter boot to make it look ok til I figure out what I'm gonna do for a console. What did you do for an inner boot to seal the hole up from heat and weather?

FE3X CLONE

Comic Book Super Hero
Dec 2, 2009
Ohio

marcar1993 said:
What did you do for an inner boot to seal the hole up from heat and weather?

I used the stock F-body boot and just trimmed down the sides.

You can see it in an old pic from a few years ago:

Once I started test fitting everything I found that the edges stick out past the Olds center console so I just trimmed it down to fit and will screw it down to the floor.

My original idea was to have it sit under the carpet but then there would be no way to remove it to change a shifter without removing the carpet. :(

marcar1993

G-Body Guru
Aug 31, 2007
New Jersey

Thats not a bad option. I picked up a pepboys boot for now, I'll see what that does for sealing the cabin off. I think I may put a thick rubber sheet under the boot and screw that down right to the perimeter floor under the carpet to get a good seal.

marcar1993

G-Body Guru
Aug 31, 2007
New Jersey

I got the boot in, made a big difference in not getting blasted in the face with heat and it looks much better. Trans is great! Tons of fun, no real bugs to work out or real issues to report. Just that sometimes I feel my clutch pedal maybe binds a tiny bit? But I can't say for sure if its the pedal or my big *ss boots on these tiny pedals. :lol:
None-the-less, I'm enjoying shifting my own gears. :D

On another related note, I'm thinking of dropping the 8.8 swap and trying to find/spend the money on a 8.5". Idk, still up in the air. If someone comes along and pays me what I want, the 8.8 will be gone and I'll use the money to get a 8.5".

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor