vin locations

Status
Not open for further replies.

tony_ru

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Sep 22, 2011
Moscow, Russia
hi, i'm from russia and we have real crazy cops here
my 86 regal has no door and trunk stickers because previous owner was painted it(
officer was looking for hidden vin location and find it under the rear seat:
94739238.jpg

so, he said i or someone "delete" the hidden vin# and attached vin tag from another car :shock:
maybe somebody knows real "hidden" vin places? it's really can help me
ps please sorry for my english

GP403

Administrator
Site Admin
Feb 25, 2005
Rolla, MO
It looks like there might be a number there, but it looks like its on the seat itself, and not the floor? I don't think there is a vin on the floor anyway. It definitely wouldn't be on or under the seat.

This is a pretty good question. I'm guessing it should be stamped into the frame someplace. Other than that, these cars weren't "marked" like most new cars are, with the vin carved into anything and everything from the engine parts to the glass.

It *should* be in plain sight in the corner of the windshield/dashboard. Other than (easily faked) stickers, where else might it be at?

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
your English is better than some of the English speaking guys on this forum... :lol:

as for hidden vin locations I don't think there are any on these cars. I had the body off and everything out of the car including the carpet last year and I never saw any vin #'s anywhere in the car or on the frame. The only one is the riveted plate at the bottom of the windshield. The is a body plate on the cowl but that is not always the same as the vin. If you look up limited production series of G bodies they talk about checking the vin to make sure it's authentic but they don't mention any other spots you can check for a vin to make sure a new vin has not been riveted in.

GP403

Administrator
Site Admin
Feb 25, 2005
Rolla, MO
the frame is just a guess, really. I know that GM put some sort of numbers on the frame as far back as the late 60's/early 70's that would tie it to a specific car. Whether it was the vin or not I'm not sure. Maybe a partial vin or something. I would assume they carried that on thru.... I could be wrong.

I think its also on the body tag with the paint codes...

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
I hope the cops didn't take your car. Are you still allowed to drive it and it must have been documented when it was imported into Russia

one thing you could possibly do is contact GM directly and let them know what the problem is and perhaps they could provide you something to show there is no other vin locations on the car.

Blake442

Geezer
Apr 24, 2007
Minneapolis
Other than the door jamb sticker and the RPO label under the trunk, the only "hidden" VIN info you are going to find would be if you're lucky enough to find a build sheet that is still intact.
They're most often found under the rear seat cushion, but others have found them under the carpet, under the front seats, above the headliner, and other seemingly random places.

As far as I know, there are no "hidden" VIN stampings on the body or frame.
I've heard plenty of people claim there are, but have never backed it up with pictures.
A partial VIN, like a sequence number (last 6 digits of VIN) could be possible, but again... never seen it.

88hurstolds

Royal Smart Person
Jun 24, 2008
I think all threads with regards to VIN numbers should be deleted.
It's just plain suspicious to have to raise any concern over the matter, heck it's never crossed my mind and why should it...

You're from Russia, the cop wants to confiscate your car and keep it... :lol:

There's one VIN stamped on the frame, GM also stamped every part with a coded VIN that can be deciphered by the Police, FBI, KGB etc... to trace stolen parts or vehicles. You'll notice on the fenders at the top inner jamb where the hood meets a 5 digit code, same goes on the trunk lid webbing, the inner door structure, every panel welded on the car has one and you'll notice that they are all similar to each other and even sequence. The top of the frame by the charcoal canister even has one of these... it will be something like 2K345.
If you have a stolen car you're basically screwed, the sequenced coded VIN is stamped on everything.
Heck it's even possible to have your car confiscated if you are found with a trunk lid from another stolen car...

Tell that pig to educate himself before running his mouth, seems to be the case in any country :wtf:

or

I wouldn't be surprised that you're a car thief and want to know every place the true VIN is so you can wipe all traceability...
Heck its possible 2 of those Hurst's stolen at the Nationals are in foreign countries right now...

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
I have worked on many G body frames and have never seen a vin stamped anywhere on it. If it was there I would have seen it on the frame I now have. I cleaned that whole frame before covering it. You can go to all the sites for low production G bodies and not one of them mentions you can check vin numbers to verify it's an actual 442 or whatever anywhere on the car except for the vin plate and the body plate. I know someone who worked in a plant making frames for G bodys and none of the frames were made for any particular car...

tony_ru

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Sep 22, 2011
Moscow, Russia
I do not want do frame off(
i have trunk sticker(detached) and build sheet but it's just paper for cops
vin and rpo codes are fit this car
and of course i'm not a thief, (i can send you car and vin photos if you don't trust me)

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
I don't know why the cops are bothering you and I don't think anyone meant to say you are a thief. Like I said I would contact GM directly and see what help they can offer..

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor